Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Garmin InReach Mini2 - turn by turn functionality?
Quote | Reply
I’ve been expanding my range on our local logging roads that pass for gravel riding here in PNW and quickly learned not to rely on my Edge 830’s cellular connection for navigation. Is it possible to interface the 830 with my InReach Mini2 for course navigation? My GoogleFu is failing me here, so would appreciate whatever advice or direction you can share.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin InReach Mini2 - turn by turn functionality? [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No. But I'm a little confused by your problem. Navigation should work on the 830 without any cellular or other connection. Unless you mean using your phone to create routes that you sync to the Edge.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin InReach Mini2 - turn by turn functionality? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My primary problem is that Edge intermittently loses track of where it is and gives inaccurate instructions. No big deal on courses I know, but anxiety provoking in the middle of nowhere.

Secondary, I’m not sure it has the ability to navigate a course correction when out of service area? I had a situation where I needed to abort a planned course due to an obstruction and couldn’t get any help navigating home from the Edge given it had no connectivity from my location on trail.

Anyway, it sure would be nice if the InReach could transmit location to the Edge as the cockpit display.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin InReach Mini2 - turn by turn functionality? [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not that familiar with what your issues are, but the InReach just has the same GPS as the Edge, so it'd be no benefit there. And the satellite communication it has will not replace any kind of cellular connection.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin InReach Mini2 - turn by turn functionality? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok, so you are saying the InReach isn’t any better at nav than the Edge? I was under the impression they used different systems, but am starting to see the light in that it’s more that they do different things (messaging) with the same system.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:

Ok, so you are saying the InReach isn’t any better at nav than the Edge? I was under the impression they used different systems, but am starting to see the light in that it’s more that they do different things (messaging) with the same system.

Unless you're in the Asia-Oceania area where QZSS will move the dial, the GPS/GLONAS/GALILEO capability on the edge is, in theory, better than the GPS/GALILEO of the InReach. So, yup... the Edge duplicates the systems you will use in the PNW, and adds another that you might also use.
That doesn't mean that it will do as good a job connecting to them, but IME, it's at least comparable up here in the PNW.

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Might want to make sure your edge has the most up-to-date local maps. Shouldn't need cell service for navigation at all. Unless something has changed, I believe you do that by connecting it to a computer and using Garmin Express
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin InReach Mini2 - turn by turn functionality? [fredly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks; I’ll put this on top of the things I learned today. Appreciate you sharing those insights.
Quote Reply