Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Soleus question - issue bouncing back and forth left to right and back again
Quote | Reply
I've searched and read all of the posts on Soleus issues (or, many of them.. there's a lot). I've had recurring issues over the years but past 2-3 years has not been bad. First to admit my calf strength is not that great and needs work. I do not recall seeing a situation where it goes from leg to leg and back

Did Santa Cruz half, no issues, but seemed to trigger some reaction. Calves felt a bit sore and overworked afterward, and when I started to run a week later, this issue started. About a 1/2 mile into some runs, soleus gets a bit tight, then downhill from there. Will be sore the rest of the day, but within 24-36 hours seems to resolve. Then maybe I can run again... or maybe not.

Here's the weird part for me. One day it will be the left. And then another day it's the right. Exact same spot, exact same symptoms and resolution.

I've seen my MAT guy who indicates a lack of core strength. I've been able to run between 1-2 hours without it being an issue since Santa Cruz. Then I go out and 1/2 mile in I feel the tightness start and pull the plug

Any experience with this ping ponging? or ideas as to cause?

Entered IM CA next weekend and wondering how much I'm going to have to walk (or, how much more than usual....).
Last edited by: ChrisM: Oct 13, 23 12:51
Quote Reply
Re: Soleus question - issue bouncing back and forth left to right and back again [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a similar issue last spring/summer when coming back from an 8 year break from endurance sports. It would start as tightness low in the calf and work it way up and eventually get too painful to run at all. Would happen on me leg, then that would heal, then would happen in the other. Then back again.

Lots of calf raises on stairs, and we eventually bought a calf raise machine. I haven’t had an issue in over a year now. Managed to build to a steady 30-40 mpw without issue.

--------------------------------------------------------

It seemed like a good idea at the time. . .
Quote Reply
Re: Soleus question - issue bouncing back and forth left to right and back again [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Was listening to a podcast about calf strain research……because I’m also dealing with a similar issue. The soleus is Slowtwitch and injuries usually present as a tightness rather than a sudden event. This tightness progresses to severe pain that can lead to limping. A soleus strain may not show up during the run but become tight after the run as well. The gastrocnemius is more fast twitch, and an injury here tends to be more sudden like something hit you in the leg. The rehab for both involves a lot of double and single leg calf raises, both straight legged (gastrocnemius) and knees bent (soleus). Based on your age, you should be able to do a certain number of single leg calf raises……I’m 53 so my number of calf raises is either 20 or 25 (I can’t recall the exact number). Maintaining glute (core) strength is also very important.

Based on your description, I bet both of your legs have weak calves, and the soleus is the main muscle involved in each. That may be why you can only do a 1/2 mile some days. I don’t really have any device except do the calf raises and build strength.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seated calf machine is the answer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The soleous is the devil I swear. Strength training my friend. Progressive and build. The above folk are right, bent leg raises for the soleous and straight leg for the gastroc. Target both while you’re at it. These can be frustrating and long injuries. Try a treadmill too occasionally to take the load off a bit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm sensitive to transverse inclines. Most roads and paths are slightly crowned. I always end up developing pain on the curb side if I run for long enough, so I need to rebalance things by switching sides. I've had bilateral pain happen everywhere from the ankle to the hip, but for the soleus, it's always been down to the shoes. If you've ever had a shoe before you never had soleus pain with, go back to it for a little while and see what your soleus says.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It will not help you do next weekend but look up David Grey’s foot and ankle program. I will sign his praises to the heavens. Legit programming that will help you strengthen the foot, lower leg and coordinate with the hips. My feet feel stronger, pf has stayed away and calf firing well.
Quote Reply