Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

70.3 Cozumel vs 70.3 Puerto Rico vs 70.3 Los Cabos
Quote | Reply
Anyone here done any of these races and can share their thoughts on the pros and cons of each, and if one really stands out as better than the others? Looking for smooth paved roads, tropical swim / clean water, nice uncomplicated course, good local food, lodging and vibes. Thanks!
Last edited by: tedtri: Oct 12, 23 20:19
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Cozumel vs 70.3 Puerto Rico vs 70.3 Los Cabos [tedtri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tedtri wrote:
Anyone here done any of these races and can share their thoughts on the pros and cons of each, and if one really stands out as better than the others? Looking for smooth paved roads, tropical swim / clean water, nice uncomplicated course, good local food, lodging and vibes. Thanks!

Did Cozumel full same course so , great road , swim water and place was good.

Depends were you live for ease of travel.

I am about to do los Cabo’s but know the area.
Good roads on race day, swim warm, clean water, run hot.

For me cheaper and easy flight. Hotels are good and food I fine good.

Nov we done PR but others can comment but I have heard only good things overall.

Not sure if PR has all inclusive resorts but I like this option as I can relax more without cooking and shopping etc.

Technique will always last longer then energy production. Improve biomechanics, improve performance.
http://Www.anthonytoth.ca, triathletetoth@twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done the Cozumel 70.3 twice, most recently last month. You'll get your tropical swim, uncomplicated course, good local food, reasonably priced lodging, and vibes (the island LOVES hosting triathlons). You will not get smooth paved roads. The entire course isn't terrible (much of it is fine), but the portions of the course that are bad are REALLY bad -- as in, my bike got bounced around so much on the final northbound leg back into town (by the cruise terminal) that I nearly dropped my chain, and I wasn't shifting at the time. The worst of the pavement is found in town and by the cruise ship terminal. If you run a tubeless set-up, I'd recommend the race. If not, I'd say skip it until they repave. The only other thing worth mentioning is the heat index in Cozumel in September. I've raced the full in November twice, and it's perfectly lovely. The 70.3 is an inferno. It's hard to describe how utterly uncomfortable the run is. Imagine impossibly hot sun, zero shade, high humidity, no breeze, and a run entirely on pavement. I didn't find the heat oppressive on the bike, because of the breeze; on the run, there is no escape.

I'm considering Puerto Rico next March so am eager to hear feedback on it. Haven't done Los Cabos.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My daughter raced Cozumel this year and she has a web site where she reviews various races as travel destinations and what she liked or disliked about the race. She liked Cozumel so much that I am about 90% sure I will go next year.

http://www.travelledtriathlete.com is her site
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Cozumel vs 70.3 Puerto Rico vs 70.3 Los Cabos [Eileen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Eileen wrote:
I've done the Cozumel 70.3 twice, most recently last month. You'll get your tropical swim, uncomplicated course, good local food, reasonably priced lodging, and vibes (the island LOVES hosting triathlons). You will not get smooth paved roads. The entire course isn't terrible (much of it is fine), but the portions of the course that are bad are REALLY bad -- as in, my bike got bounced around so much on the final northbound leg back into town (by the cruise terminal) that I nearly dropped my chain, and I wasn't shifting at the time. The worst of the pavement is found in town and by the cruise ship terminal. If you run a tubeless set-up, I'd recommend the race. If not, I'd say skip it until they repave. The only other thing worth mentioning is the heat index in Cozumel in September. I've raced the full in November twice, and it's perfectly lovely. The 70.3 is an inferno. It's hard to describe how utterly uncomfortable the run is. Imagine impossibly hot sun, zero shade, high humidity, no breeze, and a run entirely on pavement. I didn't find the heat oppressive on the bike, because of the breeze; on the run, there is no escape.

I'm considering Puerto Rico next March so am eager to hear feedback on it. Haven't done Los Cabos.

Appreciate the intel on Cozumel 70.3. I did PR 70.3 in 2017. LOVED it!!! The run is very hot!!! But it's a great course. I think it's been changed a bit but still hard and very scenic.

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tedtri wrote:

Didn't a few people get shot at PR a few years ago? Caught in a gang related shoot out if I remember correctly. If not, sorry for the bad intel.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Cozumel vs 70.3 Puerto Rico vs 70.3 Los Cabos [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B.McMaster wrote:
tedtri wrote:

Didn't a few people get shot at PR a few years ago? Caught in a gang related shoot out if I remember correctly. If not, sorry for the bad intel.

Yes. In 2015: https://www.outsideonline.com/...ironman-puerto-rico/

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply