Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What’s the vibe like in Kona ‘23?
Quote | Reply
For regular attendees, how does the women-only format affect the normal lead-in vibe in Kona? Are there as many industry types? Are jacked-up women replacing the peacocking we usually get from the dudes?
Quote Reply
Re: What’s the vibe like in Kona ‘23? [Waingro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good place to be a single Male?
Quote Reply
Re: What’s the vibe like in Kona ‘23? [Chuckie M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chuckie M wrote:

Asking for a friend...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It’s friendlier. The vendors and intensity are here, but fewer people acting like entitled jerks. It’s much better!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quieter for sure but still good pre race vibes and I'm very happy to see that the women only format doesn't seem to have deterred vendors from making the trip.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The energy and activity level has picked up since the past weekend...before that...it was soooo quiet...except for a cruise ship in the bay almost every day. In years gone by, the activity level built steadily and started much earlier. On the road....the peacock factor is almost non existent. Expo is decent and I suspect Kona town is not feeling the kind of angst it felt in'22. Traffic is easy. Parking sucks...many of the free lots are now...not free, including Coconut Grove and the one behind the old Uncle Billys. So far, the vibe is good all around...positive and building.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So funny, I was thinking this myself this morning. What if the Kona residents are like “yeah the women are welcome back, the men not so much”

Will be interesting to see how it plays out over next few years.
Quote Reply
Re: What’s the vibe like in Kona ‘23? [PattiPepper65] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I keep seeing that 2000 women are racing. Wasn’t 2300 the old one-day Kona total? Did they fail to give away all the slots, or did they deliberately shrink the event?
Quote Reply
Re: What’s the vibe like in Kona ‘23? [Ironma'am] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ironma'am wrote:
It’s friendlier. The vendors and intensity are here, but fewer people acting like entitled jerks. It’s much better!

....or Jerkets..........
Quote Reply
Re: What’s the vibe like in Kona ‘23? [Runout] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The town not feeling the angst makes sense though right, just in the fact there are half the number of athletes alone this year as there were in 2022? While I am no expert and have never been to Kona, it makes total sense that the town and island can only support so many people, on top of full time residents. (This is not a take on how many athletes, male and female should be allowed at any given time to race).

I have also heard from athletes and others on the island that the vibe is indeed friendlier, and the overall mood is good. Which is great to hear that the women are still getting a great Kona experience.

Runout wrote:
The energy and activity level has picked up since the past weekend...before that...it was soooo quiet...except for a cruise ship in the bay almost every day. In years gone by, the activity level built steadily and started much earlier. On the road....the peacock factor is almost non existent. Expo is decent and I suspect Kona town is not feeling the kind of angst it felt in'22. Traffic is easy. Parking sucks...many of the free lots are now...not free, including Coconut Grove and the one behind the old Uncle Billys. So far, the vibe is good all around...positive and building.

💀 Fxck Cancer Endurance Team 💀
⚡️⚡️ PLUSH Global ⚡️⚡️

Last edited by: JakeLikesDonuts: Oct 12, 23 8:11
Quote Reply
Re: What’s the vibe like in Kona ‘23? [Chuckie M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chuckie M wrote:

I wonder what % of the participants are single?

Glad for the locals and the ladies competing that the vibe is good this year.
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Oct 12, 23 13:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is that underpants run still a thing?
Quote Reply
Re: What’s the vibe like in Kona ‘23? [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
Is that underpants run still a thing?

Yes. https://www.triathlete.com/...ship-underpants-run/
Quote Reply
Re: What’s the vibe like in Kona ‘23? [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mark Lemmon wrote:
Chuckie M wrote:

I wonder what % of the participants are single?

Glad for the locals and the ladies competing that the vibe is good this year.

Haha, I remember when I went to ITU Worlds where half the field were women back in 1994 six months after I got married...I joked with my buddies that it was the first time I went to a tri with that many beautiful women (since every other tri seemed to be like a 10:1 ratio, which was almost identical to being in the Air Force). But it was all too little too late since by then I was married. So here I am, almost 30 years later with the same girl, thinking, if this was 33 years ago, I'd be one of those guys booking flights and renting a house on Alii, and offering to wrench bikes for free for all the hot women athletes racing, and my then pathetic solo single guy life would be resolved quickly.

But they never had an all women's Kona in 1990....it is going on to 2023 and finally there is one. To all you single guys, you shouldn't even have to ask what the vibe is like. That's a totally redundant question. What part of 2000 women athletes in Kona is not a great vibe ???? And my wife would likely say, that she would rather go watch 2000 women in Kona than 3000 of my male friends prance around in lycra and weird helmets talking about our stats on strava!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Waingro wrote:
I keep seeing that 2000 women are racing. Wasn’t 2300 the old one-day Kona total? Did they fail to give away all the slots, or did they deliberately shrink the event?

I think failed to give away spots. In Australia peeps finishing in 16/17 hours were getting spots. Imagine next year in Nice. They'd be lucky to get 1000.
Quote Reply
Re: What’s the vibe like in Kona ‘23? [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
Waingro wrote:

I think failed to give away spots. In Australia peeps finishing in 16/17 hours were getting spots. Imagine next year in Nice. They'd be lucky to get 1000.
No fucking way has there ever been 2,300 women at Kona. I completely disagree about Nice next year. I think this weekend will be a massive success and next year will build on this year.
Quote Reply
Re: What’s the vibe like in Kona ‘23? [Lagoon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I remember correctly there were over 2000 women at the women's only race day at the last three 70.3 Worlds (including the last one in Lahti). If there were 2000 women in Lahti, why would there not be 2000 women at Ironman worlds in Nice? One the surface a lot more family head women who live in Europe who can't take kids out of school for two weeks to go to Kona can go to Nice with barely a few days off around the weekend.
Quote Reply
Re: What’s the vibe like in Kona ‘23? [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why would you think that? Nice is an awesome venue that has some great history! It will be very popular IMHO. Can't wait to race there with my team next summer.

Rav Dighe
Coach & Director
w: http://www.alohatri.com
e: rav@alohatri.com
Quote Reply
Re: What’s the vibe like in Kona ‘23? [Lagoon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lagoon wrote:
zedzded wrote:
Waingro wrote:

No fucking way has there ever been 2,300 women at Kona. I completely disagree about Nice next year. I think this weekend will be a massive success and next year will build on this year.

2300 participants total. As in, that’s the max number that can be fit on the pier in one day.
Quote Reply