Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Rust on a waxed chain [spocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spocket wrote:

Tip: I ordered the chains from SpeedVisionBike: they came directly waxed with MSW (at no extra costs!), so I did not have to go through the pain of the initial cleaning process to get rid of the OEM lubrication.

Do they really strip the factory grease and wax in MSW... for no additional cost? That's an amazing deal if they do.
Quote Reply
Re: Rust on a waxed chain [Bdaghisallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup, I thought so too. $10 extra if you want the “race powder” option, but basic stripping and waxing no charge.
I just received my chains from them yesterday, looks good.
Their process:
https://www.instagram.com/...KDruO4Z/?img_index=1

---------------------------------
T. Guertin / Spocket
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I contacted Amazon and they refunded me, even though I was well outside the return window! I also purchased 2 chains from SpeedVisionBikes and will work out some sort of rotation... hopefully my days of rusty chains will be over soon.
Quote Reply
Re: Rust on a waxed chain [airhol2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Amazon knew the chain was counterfeit because they had received many complaints about the seller. That is the only reason why you were refunded.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
spocket wrote:
Yup, I thought so too. $10 extra if you want the “race powder” option, but basic stripping and waxing no charge.
Their process:

How do the chains look? Did they do a good job of getting all of the factory lube out of the chain?
Quote Reply
Re: Rust on a waxed chain [Bdaghisallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First look, all seems good... But not sure you would easily tell other than if the wax was just flaking off too easily or if it still felt greasy (it doesn't).

---------------------------------
T. Guertin / Spocket
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
spocket wrote:
First look, all seems good... But not sure you would easily tell other than if the wax was just flaking off too easily or if it still felt greasy (it doesn't).

Thanks. That deal almost seems to good to be true, especially when you factor in the premium that Silca and MSW themselves charge to carry out that cleaning and wax treatment.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
spocket wrote:
Their process:

FYI, if this is their process, it might be so cheap because they're missing steps. First off, it takes me at least 3, sometimes 4 soaks in mineral spirits to get all the factory grease off. Second, MSW, Silca, and Adam with Zerofriction all recommend a bath in denatured alcohol to remove the film left over by the mineral spirits.
Quote Reply
Re: Rust on a waxed chain [airhol2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
airhol2 wrote:
I contacted Amazon and they refunded me, even though I was well outside the return window! I also purchased 2 chains from SpeedVisionBikes and will work out some sort of rotation... hopefully my days of rusty chains will be over soon.

Great news! Glad to hear Amazon made it up to you!
Quote Reply
Re: Rust on a waxed chain [goneskiian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
goneskiian wrote:
spocket wrote:
Their process:

FYI, if this is their process, it might be so cheap because they're missing steps. First off, it takes me at least 3, sometimes 4 soaks in mineral spirits to get all the factory grease off. Second, MSW, Silca, and Adam with Zerofriction all recommend a bath in denatured alcohol to remove the film left over by the mineral spirits.

That's exactly what I was thinking too.
Quote Reply

Prev Next