Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

di2 help (for a newb).
Quote | Reply
I swapped out the cassette on my Neo Tacx trainer today so I could use my (new to me) 2019 liv TT bike on it. It has ultegra di1 shifting and an 11-28 casette.

I tried to micro adjust the gears according to these super simple instructions, but have only managed to make it worse.: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBIXq82M_oU

It only has 2 shifting buttons so it has to be in full syncro mode. Now it won't even shift the front derailleur to the big ring and when its in the small ring it won't go into the smallest cogs on the back (but will shift in the other gears just fine).

I'm trying to avoid a $100 call out to a mechanic for help - any suggestions? When I first attemptd to micro shift it would only shift up a few knotches and wouldn't rub like the video suggested. So I basically messed about for a bit and its now super wonky! I haven't messed with anything on the derailleur itself (yet!).
Quote Reply
Re: di2 help (for a newb). [linzter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's not supposed to go into the 2 smallest cogs on the back when in the little ring (the system stops you because those gears are so inefficient)
If you're not getting the big ring I'd suspect you pushed the button on the junction box in a way that changed the shifting mode, so you've gone out of synchro
Best place to look for Di2 advice is here https://bettershifting.com/...hronized-shift-mode/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It sounds like it is in safety manual mode from fiddling around with the button on the junction box. From memory you need to double tap or triple tap the button on the junction box to go back to syncro mode there are 3 modes syncro non syncro safety or some other idiotic thing.

The number of times I have swore at di2 in the last month in lahti and nice when I suffered various black box type problems similar to you damaged cable etc hahahaha. When it works fantastic when it doesn't disaster

I never bothered with micro adjust much on the trainer just use 1 gear and erg.

Here's the mode info
You can change between the shift modes by double-pressing the button on your junction box. When you do this the bike cycles through three modes:

Manual mode - Indicated by solid red/green LEDs. This is traditional, full-manual shifting.
Shift mode 1 (S1) - Indicated by both red and green LEDs flashing twice. The default S1 mode is semi-synchro: automatically shifts the rear derailleur when you shift the front derailleur.
Shift mode 2 (S2) - Red and green LEDs flash three times. By default this is full-synchro and this automatically shifts the front derailleur as you shift the rear derailleur.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So turns out I'm even more of a newb than I thought... it needed charging!! I guess during this whole process the batteries ran low enough to stop the front derailleur.

Sigh.

But a good lesson for me and maybe this will help somebody else out one day :)
Quote Reply
Re: di2 help (for a newb). [Kipstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Damaged cable? There's the problem...if Shitmano got on their progress and kicked out a TRUE fully wireless system, no cables would be crimped. I've had 0 mis-shifts with my SRAM "wired" 10-speed (except when my R2C shifter's internal pawls stripped out). But yeah, no reason for wires in this day & age...c'mon Shimano, get it together...too slow for innovation...and yes, I'm going to upgrade & get rid of the cables this coming year!
Last edited by: Rocky M: Oct 6, 23 21:08
Quote Reply
Re: di2 help (for a newb). [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rocky M wrote:
Damaged cable? There's the problem...if Shitmano got on their progress and kicked out a TRUE fully wireless system, no cables would be crimped. I've had 0 mis-shifts with my SRAM "wired" 10-speed (except when my R2C shifter's internal pawls stripped out). But yeah, no reason for wires in this day & age...c'mon Shimano, get it together...too slow for innovation...and yes, I'm going to upgrade & get rid of the cables this coming year!

Agree. Sram wireless makes much more sense the fragility of those di2 wires running through the cockpit down to the battery etc... Jeez what a pain
Quote Reply
Re: di2 help (for a newb). [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cyclenutnz wrote:
It's not supposed to go into the 2 smallest cogs on the back when in the little ring (the system stops you because those gears are so inefficient)
If you're not getting the big ring I'd suspect you pushed the button on the junction box in a way that changed the shifting mode, so you've gone out of synchro
Best place to look for Di2 advice is here https://bettershifting.com/...hronized-shift-mode/

Depending on your chainrings, of course. If you are using 53-39 rings - or tell E-Tube that you are - you can uncheck the 'gear control' option and get access to the smallest two cassette cogs when in the small chainring.
Quote Reply