Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Challenge Quebec Announcement [Scott_B] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scott_B wrote:
I was initially very excited to see that a race option in Quebec City. Then I looked at the swim course - no thanks. The only way this could work without becoming a huge fluster cluck would be a rolling start with the fastest swimmers heading out first. AG waves will be a real mess, especially for stronger swimmers in the later waves.
Rolling starts these days are mostly based of projected times of individuals not age groups so if they do it that way it "shouldn't" be much of an issue . Unless of course you get the idiots who think it helps then somehow to start with people waaaaay faster than they are.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Scott_B wrote:
I was initially very excited to see that a race option in Quebec City. Then I looked at the swim course - no thanks. The only way this could work without becoming a huge fluster cluck would be a rolling start with the fastest swimmers heading out first. AG waves will be a real mess, especially for stronger swimmers in the later waves.

Agreed, rolling start by speed. I think we can talk to Dominque Piche and crew and influence this easily. They did the overall rolling start by speed/projected time at 70.3 Tremblant so I could imagine they would do the same. I am 90% in. Just need to figure out next summer family vacation schedules
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Quebec Announcement [Changpao] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Changpao wrote:
bulldog15 wrote:
That is one hell of a swim course........

https://www.capquebec.com/en/courses/

Fourteen turns, including five U-turns, in 1900 meters?!? That's nuts!

Very hard pass...
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Quebec Announcement [Sub17Project] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seeing as how I went off course during the bike of my last race, I will probably end up in the St. Lawrence with that swim.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That swim course is honestly hilarious. Almost looks fun just for the novelty of how completely stupid and ridiculous it is.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Quebec Announcement [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
I see there is a nice package for $394 that you can do the Olympic on Sat and half on Sunday or Sprint Sat + Half on Sunday !!! I heard they already sold 1000 entries yesterday.

Current Registrations
235 for the Half
81 for the Oly
34 for the Sprint

5 doing a combination of oly/half or sprint/half

Accommodations booked but need to see how training continues from injury to actually register.
Last edited by: RobAllen: Sep 27, 23 8:51
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Quebec Announcement [USCoregonian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
USCoregonian wrote:
That swim course is honestly hilarious. Almost looks fun just for the novelty of how completely stupid and ridiculous it is.

Why don't you come up and check out the ridiculousness? It can't be more ridiculous than all those Ironman downriver swims that sell out !!! Note that this is a public swimming sport with a "built for purpose pool"

Here is an image of the public "pool" in the port that is used daily for swimming (lane swim area and general splash around area)

Seriously folks, how many of you have put on a race and work within the constraints of a city, body of water, road closures, times etc etc. How about we let year one play out and see how it goes. Many triathlons and swim races have been run in ports in the province of Quebec, so they actually know how to run these things (including the ITU WCS in Montreal). It's just easy for us to throw stones from the internet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also of note Dominique Piche who is the founder and race director for IM Tremblant, IM70.3 Tremblant and the 2014 IM 70.3 World Championships IS the race director.

Perhaps the BEST news about this new event is this news!

Dom Piche was the brains and the brawn behind those first number of years at IMMT, when there were folks calling it the BEST run IM race in the world save perhaps the IMWC in Kona!

But the landscape . . well . . for everything is VERY different now than 10+ years ago!

The good news as we come to the end of 2023, is that entries and participation for all Endurance Sports Races/Events - be it triathlon, running, cycling has bounced back to at least 2019 levels and some races/events have recorded record entries this year! So things are TRENDING in the right direction!

It's an in exact science, with a whole bunch of unknown variables, but races/events like this typically need 1500 - 2000 entries as a minimum to make them economically viable and, you really should have a 3 - 4 year plan to GET TO that point down the road because you really will not have been able to maximize all you do until then!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Scott_B wrote:
Seeing as how I went off course during the bike of my last race, I will probably end up in the St. Lawrence with that swim.

I don't know much about the St. Lawrence except seeing it when crossing over it on large bridges getting to Montreal. I suspect that swimming in the St. Lawrence is not feasible? And is that due to large boat vessels, water quality, currents, logistics, all of the above??

I never imagined I'd swim in the Connecticut River (where there are raw sewage overflows during heavy rainfall regularly) but I did swim it for the first 70.3 in Springfield, MA this past June. It was a great swim. I loved it!!! (felt clean and passed water tests on race day).

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Quebec Announcement [RobAllen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RobAllen wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
I see there is a nice package for $394 that you can do the Olympic on Sat and half on Sunday or Sprint Sat + Half on Sunday !!! I heard they already sold 1000 entries yesterday.

Current Registrations
235 for the Half
81 for the Oly
34 for the Sprint

5 doing a combination of oly/half or sprint/half

Accommodations booked but need to see how training continues from injury to actually register.

Yikes. I saw in this thread to book accomodations early so I got a refundable airbnb 2km to the race start.
I guess I'll have to decide sooner than later if it gets close to filling.

I wouldn't mind doing a 50k run or a gravel event the next weekend somewhere in the Ottawa to Quebec City corridor. Anyone with suggestions?
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Quebec Announcement [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
https://www.facebook.com/ChallengeFamily/videos/860339525210458?notif_id=1695740334139401&notif_t=live_video_schedule_viewer&ref=notif

I wish the English translated CC would have worked for the mayor's speech. It was really inspiring. For everyone else, jump to 44 minutes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Seriously folks, how many of you have put on a race and work within the constraints of a city, body of water, road closures, times etc etc. How about we let year one play out and see how it goes. Many triathlons and swim races have been run in ports in the province of Quebec, so they actually know how to run these things (including the ITU WCS in Montreal). It's just easy for us to throw stones from the internet.

Constraints or not doesn't mean that the solution is a fun one. That swim course blows, period, and it killed my interest for that race, even though it's next door for me and the registration price is awesome. I have no idea how such a thing actually made it beyond the brainstorming phase of a project.

Having organized road ultras in Montreal, I know about working within constraints from the city. Had to think outside the box for solutions because of road work a few years, but the solution was always about making it nice for the runners, not making it the simplest or the most cost-effective. No one in his right mind can think this is a fun swim.

And the ITU swim course in Montreal had a LOT of issues, I wouldn't bring that one up.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Quebec Announcement [lordhong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well I'm now in for this one. I was torn between doing either this or Musselman as my mid-summer race and both my wife and my training/racing buddy preferred Quebec City to small town in upstate NY. So now we're combining it with a family trip in the area. The kids are excited to spend a few days at Val Cartier on the waterslides.

I know the swim sucks, but at least it will be a good excuse to practice sighting! Plus there will be good views for spectators and things for the kids to do.
Last edited by: timbasile: Dec 6, 23 6:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Also of note Dominique Piche who is the founder and race director for IM Tremblant, IM70.3 Tremblant and the 2014 IM 70.3 World Championships IS the race director:

https://triathlonmagazine.ca/news/its-a-hit-and-there-hasnt-been-a-race-yet-will-challenge-cap-quebec-live-up-to-the-hype/?fbclid=IwAR2J3Jz-lkHeivRasGxRfo2BPxnJ2mFl-SLjA4O4jmbRpb8EwWY3kglPNxo_aem_Aco_LihZ2lTOcrLjPqARm5H9qUvIdoHFjYgywjKj2Nk1sY8swqUVJGM0X5LpsiXm8eA

THIS. Dom is a great guy and amazing event producer. IM cut lots of good people during covid and lost lots of good people the last few years. Some of us are still in the industry and Dom will put on a great race

-Dre
RD at Clash Endurance

Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Quebec Announcement [dre] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm super excited that Piche is RD for this event. Just signed up for the 113 (half distance).

I'm coming back from an entire year off due to a cardiac issue (ultimately solved with surgery last month)...can't wait to get back at it!
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Quebec Announcement [RobAllen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where do you get the registration #s data?
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Quebec Announcement [christianlee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The reg data was available on the Race Roster registration page for the event. It has since been removed.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Quebec Announcement [lordhong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lordhong wrote:
And the ITU swim course in Montreal had a LOT of issues, I wouldn't bring that one up.

What issues has this event had? I don't think they have missed a swim since 2016?

Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Quebec Announcement [USCoregonian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
USCoregonian wrote:

Well, on the bright side, sighting shouldn't be a problem. :)

Not a coach. Not a FOP Tri/swimmer/biker/runner. Barely a MOP AGer.
But I'm learning and making progress.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Quebec Announcement [LEBoyd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
People complain too much.
The course will actually be easier to follow than a lot of simple lake courses where you can barely see the next buoy.
Sure it will bunch up in the corners, but HTFU...
Quote Reply

Prev Next