Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IM LOU 70.3, but no full?
Quote | Reply
I did IM Louisville a few times and really enjoyed it. When it was cancelled I assumed it was because the algae blooms in the river made them cancel the swim some years, and that made it unreliable. But now I see they're offering the 70.3 but not the full, so it can't be the algae. Does anyone know why they're offering one but not the other?

Thanks!

(Nothing's riding on this, I'm just curious.)
Quote Reply
Re: IM LOU 70.3, but no full? [gellerche] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They don’t make enough money putting on fulls.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gellerche wrote:
I did IM Louisville a few times and really enjoyed it. When it was cancelled I assumed it was because the algae blooms in the river made them cancel the swim some years, and that made it unreliable. But now I see they're offering the 70.3 but not the full, so it can't be the algae. Does anyone know why they're offering one but not the other?

Thanks!

(Nothing's riding on this, I'm just curious.)

In very simple terms it’s economics. The IM distance just isn’t attracting the number of athletes it once did. The 70.3 attracts more athletes and is easier and cheaper to produce.

My guess in a few years there will only be six IM races in North America besides Kona: Texas, Florida, Arizona, California, Cozumel, and Lake Placid. I don’t see how Canada, Wisconsin, Maryland, and Chattanooga are going to survive.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: IM LOU 70.3, but no full? [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maryland just signed a 5 year extension deal.
Quote Reply
Re: IM LOU 70.3, but no full? [Bluefishy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bluefishy wrote:

Ironman has a clause in the agreements they can terminate the race if there are insufficient number of entries. 1,150 racers this year and weather related issues (again) aren’t exactly marketing advantages. Barring a big turnaround in 2024 I wouldn’t wager money on it being back in 2025.

Last edited by: The GMAN: Sep 24, 23 8:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:

In very simple terms it’s economics. The IM distance just isn’t attracting the number of athletes it once did. The 70.3 attracts more athletes and is easier and cheaper to produce.

My guess in a few years there will only be six IM races in North America besides Kona: Texas, Florida, Arizona, California, Cozumel, and Lake Placid. I don’t see how Canada, Wisconsin, Maryland, and Chattanooga are going to survive.

Thanks. WI is the only one within driving distance so I'd better sign up while I can.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It’s so hard for me to wrap my head around this, as I volunteered at Chattanooga to get on site sign up for the race many years ago because I thought it might sell out. It seems like a lifetime ago!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
Bluefishy wrote:

Ironman has a clause in the agreements they can terminate the race if there are insufficient number of entires. 1,150 racers this year and weather related issues (again) aren’t exactly marketing advantages. Barring a big turnaround in 2024 I wouldn’t wager money on it being back in 2025.

I’d move Maryland to May. It shouldn’t be too hot then (for the people worried about that) and would avoid the yearly hurricane crapshoot.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Re: IM LOU 70.3, but no full? [JackStraw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Except that the very popular Eagleman70.3 is early June in the same location.

I think if Cambridge could only keep one, it would be Eagleman.
Quote Reply
Re: IM LOU 70.3, but no full? [JackStraw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JackStraw13 wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
Bluefishy wrote:

Ironman has a clause in the agreements they can terminate the race if there are insufficient number of entries. 1,150 racers this year and weather related issues (again) aren’t exactly marketing advantages. Barring a big turnaround in 2024 I wouldn’t wager money on it being back in 2025.

I’d move Maryland to May. It shouldn’t be too hot then (for the people worried about that) and would avoid the yearly hurricane crapshoot.

They need to do something to fill in the gap between Texas and Lake Placid. Chattanooga and Maryland are the obvious candidates due to being further south and warmer water that time of year but the 70.3 races are in May and June respectively. Not sure what the pros and cons would be to swapping the IM and 70.3 dates.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
JackStraw13 wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
Bluefishy wrote:

They need to do something to fill in the gap between Texas and Lake Placid. Chattanooga and Maryland are the obvious candidates due to being further south and warmer water that time of year but the 70.3 races are in May and June respectively. Not sure what the pros and cons would be to swapping the IM and 70.3 dates.

Yeah that’s why I said move Maryland. I could be wrong but thought I’d heard in the past they don’t want to move Chatty to spring because the river swim would be less predictable.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did Louisville (full IM) in October 2018 and I thought it was a shit show. Aside from the weather which was nasty (7c at start time) and raining, a shortened swim, after an hour and a half delay, a bike course that included roadworks, sharing a single lane with busses and some doofus in a truck, coal rolling the bikes. 500 didn't finish the bike, and pickup trucks rolling by full of bikes. The run was fine, but the finish was miles from T2 and you had to find your own way back. Thank heaven, somebody smart had hot soup during the run and after or I would never have made it out of there alive. The presentations the next day were under an overpass FFS.
Quote Reply