Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Far all you indoor-heavy cyclists - how's the headset on your bike? [Mart.S] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mart.S wrote:
When you say it didn't matter how many towels you put on top, do you mean on top of each other, or how many you use?
Haven't ever had an issue with corrosion.

I try not to let any specific part get completely saturated as anything additional will drip through. Have a towel specifically just to cover the bars and have another on the top tube for wiping excess sweat from arms and face. Once one part is soaked then move it across to a dryer spot until the whole thing gets saturated, then change.

A 5/6 hour session for me will require usually 2/3 t-shirts/jerseys, 4-6 towels, 2/3 headbands.
A big help was using sweat bands pulled up just below the elbow, which reduces the amount of sweat that gets to the towel over the bars in the first place. This is a great spot also for when in TT position. Headbands are fantastic but also need to be squeezed out every 10 minutes or so.

Oh....and using fans is just cheating :-)

I swap towels. I can saturate right through an entire standard bath towel laid across my aerobars in <45 minutes, probably <30 mins if I'm going hard. Sure, not the entire thing is saturated, but at the weight-contact points of my elbows and all around it where the towel is flattening out on the aerobars, it gets soaked right through pretty quickly. Even when I think I've been changing the towel ahead of time, AND have saran wrapped the headset it gets in. I even stuck a neoprene yoga mat under the towel at one point, not sure if it helped though.

Part of my problem might also be the design of my headset and cover. It's not the standard small round top tube cover of a road bike - mine is. a big flat plate so lots more area for sweat to seep in through the sides and get stuck. Still, I'm amazed at how few people here complain about rusted headsets after all that indoor bike training - I've rusted headsets on my older Cervelo and now my Premier Tactical on pretty much an annual basis when they were on my Kickr, and this is with towels, etc.

It's gotten to the point I cringe when I see pros doing regular training on their race bike on a trainer with only a small towel under them!
Last edited by: lightheir: Sep 22, 23 18:31
Quote Reply
Re: Far all you indoor-heavy cyclists - how's the headset on your bike? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe I am missing something - but if you are on a dedicated trainer bitch bike with a busted RD hanger, who cares if the headset starts rusting? The frame is likely trash, you might as well fill the headtube with cement and make it single speed so no cables at all....

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: Far all you indoor-heavy cyclists - how's the headset on your bike? [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alex_korr wrote:
Maybe I am missing something - but if you are on a dedicated trainer bitch bike with a busted RD hanger, who cares if the headset starts rusting? The frame is likely trash, you might as well fill the headtube with cement and make it single speed so no cables at all....

You got it right - I'm just asking about headsets out of curiosity. By having my broken bike on the trainer, I couldn't care less if the headset is fused completely solid and all the cables are cut. I actually already cut all the RD/FD cables, just have brake cables left that I will probably remove at some point! And it's already single speed since you can't mount a RD on it!

But I do anticipate at some point in the future, probably nearing race day, I'll start throwing my race TT bike back on it if I'm forced to do some long indoor ride due to conditions, just so I know I'm ready on my race bike position.
Quote Reply
Re: Far all you indoor-heavy cyclists - how's the headset on your bike? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any reason you can’t add some clipons, adjust the seat, and duplicate your race bike position on the trainer bike?

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Far all you indoor-heavy cyclists - how's the headset on your bike? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
Any reason you can’t add some clipons, adjust the seat, and duplicate your race bike position on the trainer bike?

Actually my position is essentially duplicated. But still, I'd prefer to train long on my actual race bike leading up to race day, just in case.
Quote Reply

Prev Next