Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

yet another "should I do an IM while nursing injury?"
Quote | Reply
My case: about 6 weeks ago, pulled right hamstring during an run intervals workout. Proximal hamstring, but not "high hamstring" location. Affected training since. Went from no biking/running for a couple of weeks to getting back on bike and limited running. Zero threshold training since. Biking and runs have been sitting firmly in Z2 range.

Last weekend on Sat did 107 miles on bike followed by 20 minute brick. On Sun did 15 mile long run (slow and easy, 2.5 hrs).

Event: IM California 10/22.

My concern is taking a mild injury, doing a single event and limping away with a worse problem that becomes chronic.

Been to PT and she's not super overwhelmed with my injury and has agreed with my workouts -- keeping the intensity down. Hasn't told me to bag the race.

At this point, I get occasional soreness during runs/biking (especially if on a hill), but it's usually asymptomatic. Would be a grade 1 injury. But 6+ weeks in, it's not healed.

Friendly advice? Keep working toward event or be conservative and defer?
Quote Reply
Re: yet another "should I do an IM while nursing injury?" [Vapor Trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did a race with a mild muscle strain injury. I spent the next 9 months recovering from the effects of the race.

YMMV.
Quote Reply
Re: yet another "should I do an IM while nursing injury?" [Vapor Trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seems like you need to rest now and try to get back to full health even if it costs you some fitness.
Quote Reply
Re: yet another "should I do an IM while nursing injury?" [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's what I'm hoping to avoid. Glad your injury cleared up, even if it took 9 months.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ramp up training to 30 hours a week and give this race your all
Pink
Quote Reply
Re: yet another "should I do an IM while nursing injury?" [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmm...

15 years of high volume training and racing.

My only injuries came from accidents.

Maybe I know something....

1) One should only incrementally increase volume OR intensity. Never both at the same time.

2) If you take a long time off. ....
You start from there. And build from there.
Not from where you would have been, if you didn't take time off.

3) A recovery season is good.
Large doses of time off, however, are bad.
(See point 2).

4) There is usually a way to safely train through an injury. You can run uphill on a treadmill.
You can swim with one arm. You can pedal a bike with one leg.
TRAINING NOW, PREVENTS FUTURE injuries caused by long periods off and natural aging.

5) Doctors and health gurus don't care about your training.
Fat, slow, never good at anything you ever again- that works for them!!

6) There is no point in having a crappy race!!!
Taking a calculated risk with training is good.

But there is no point in risking injury so as to have a crappy race!!
It's expensive. Frustrating demoralizing.
Last edited by: Velocibuddha: Sep 21, 23 13:57
Quote Reply
Re: yet another "should I do an IM while nursing injury?" [Velocibuddha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Odd flex, But ok.

I don't agree with either #4 or #5.

#1-3 I agree. But, they don't constitute a guarantee of an overuse injury free life.

Only the un-number #7 is actually responsive to the question asked.

Quote:
But there is no point in risking injury so as to have a crappy race!!
It's expensive. Frustrating demoralizing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was your hamstring sore after the long bike & brick run last weekend? How about the day after?

I would say if you're not feeling lingering soreness from the slow & long workouts, you're fine to move ahead with the volume of the plan but no high intensity workouts.
Quote Reply
Re: yet another "should I do an IM while nursing injury?" [TMR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Would say minimal but not non-existent lingering soreness. Will give it a few more workouts (easy effort) and keep an eye on lingering discomfort.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This thread is timely. My hamstrings have been significantly sore after harder runs last 1.5 weeks, just at the back above knee. Can hurt going down stairs and when my feet land on ground. Is better on real soft ground.

I’ve been nursing it on all my easy runs but trying to do the intensity and longer runs as have marathon in 5 weeks. Probably time to back off the intensity…
Quote Reply