Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

2024 70.3 WC Slots
Quote | Reply
Is there any known time frame for understanding slot allocation for 2024 events?

I could be tempted to enter Louisville, but it would be my third 70.3 in the year and I'm loath to commit to another WTC branded race before I know slot allocations. NZ is earmarked for us as a potential trip next year and for better or worse I want to try to punch my ticket to race Taupo.
Quote Reply
Re: 2024 70.3 WC Slots [Ing.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://www.ironman.com/...2024-slot-allocation

That's the current allocation, but it seems complete only up until December. Isn't June usually the cut off?

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: 2024 70.3 WC Slots [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah that's the page I'm looking at. It says "* Additional qualifying races taking place in 2024 to be announced at a later date" and when I look at specific race pages that are not listed on the master list, e.g. Texas, those pages state "This event offers slots to the IRONMAN 70.3 World Championship".

So I'm wondering when the announcement of the *distribution* for those races will occur. As Taupo is so late in the year, the cut-off date for qualification is going to impact the average number of available slots per race. If they leave qualification open until October, that's a lot more races to spread slots amongst! I thought that perhaps St. George might get more slots (and if so, I'd enter) but who knows...
Quote Reply
Re: 2024 70.3 WC Slots [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cloy wrote:
https://www.ironman.com/im703-world-championship-2024-slot-allocation

That's the current allocation, but it seems complete only up until December. Isn't June usually the cut off?

I live in a place where we have a 70.3 at the end of June (Tremblant) that is typically the last race to qual for "this year's worlds' and another 70.3 two weeks later in early July (Muskoka) that is a qualifier for "next year". Having said that in 2022, Muskoka in the first week of July had slots for Finland 2023, but also offered slots for St. George 2022WC. As it stands the registration page for Muskoka 70.3 2024 says it will have slots for worlds 2025
Quote Reply
Re: 2024 70.3 WC Slots [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From discussing with IRONMAN folks while in Nice the other week, the last opportunity to qualify for IRONMAN 70.3 Worlds 2024 will be in June 2024. All races from July 1st onwards will be qualifiers for IRONMAN 70.3 Worlds in 2025.

The 2025 location will be announced later this year, likely soon after the second leg of the IRONMAN World Champs in Kona.
Quote Reply
Re: 2024 70.3 WC Slots [sfjab] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is exactly the kind of info I was looking for. Good to know, thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm surprised they are still making the cutoff end of June, since 2024 Worlds will be in December. I would think August 1st would have been more logical - maybe they will offer slots to 2024 and 2025 in July/August races when we get closer and they're having trouble selling out the race.

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Re: 2024 70.3 WC Slots [Callin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I asked why they wouldn’t be including later races but I was informed that they want consistency year over year, even if the date of world champs varies by a few months each year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also makes me wonder if it gives them the flexibility to move 2025 worlds earlier in the year to avoid conflict with Kona/Nice.
Quote Reply
Re: 2024 70.3 WC Slots [marquette42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It’s going to be in early November in 2025… location to be announced soon… but I’m not going to spill the beans!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sfjab wrote:
It’s going to be in early November in 2025… location to be announced soon… but I’m not going to spill the beans!

So if the USA, somewhere warm like Vegas. Or southern hemisphere like South America or South Africa? With how popular triathlon is in South America, I would bet on Brazil. But maybe there's a reason why Rawanda had a booth in Lahti...
Quote Reply
Re: 2024 70.3 WC Slots [Lurker4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lurker4 wrote:
sfjab wrote:

So if the USA, somewhere warm like Vegas. Or southern hemisphere like South America or South Africa? With how popular triathlon is in South America, I would bet on Brazil. But maybe there's a reason why Rawanda had a booth in Lahti...

Wasn't Rwanda at 5000 ft above sea level with 1600m of climbing inside 90km??? That must be an insanely tough course between elevation at Lake Kivu and the climbing overall!!!

Just checked Lake Kivu elevation is 1450m above sea level !!!

As a point of reference, UCI Cycling World championships ARE IN KIGALI in Sep 2025.

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sfjab wrote:
Well the women race IMWC at Kona in late October 2025. Surely the earliest w/e is third w/e in November wherever (see the 3 weeks in October 2022).
Will likely be in direct competition with the (grand) final of the World Triathlon / PTO world championships series so will be emasculated at the sharp end.
Unless IM and the PTO achieve a rapprochement by 2025 and they use the 70.3WC as that final race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Lurker4 wrote:
sfjab wrote:

Wasn't Rwanda at 5000 ft above sea level with 1600m of climbing inside 90km??? That must be an insanely tough course between elevation at Lake Kivu and the climbing overall!!!

Just checked Lake Kivu elevation is 1450m above sea level !!!

As a point of reference, UCI Cycling World championships ARE IN KIGALI in Sep 2025.

Dev

Didn't know about UCI Champs. Interesting.
I just mention Rawanda because it really doesn't make sense for them to be putting on regular half Ironman events for 100 racers or whatever. Unless... they came to Ironman and said we want to have a championship here, and Ironman said, you need to run a couple races first. And here we are. African nations have certainly spent their money on worse things before....
Quote Reply
Re: 2024 70.3 WC Slots [Lurker4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They had a Rwanda 70.3 booth at Wisconsin too, thought that was interesting. While I have no doubt it would be an amazing race, I would think they would really struggle to fill it with how tough it would be to get there. The current race site looks to be a 3+ hour drive from Kigali. Unless the country is heavily subsidizing having 70.3 WC there, I'd be surprised if IM takes that risk. My thought was Rio. That's obviously a haul for a lot of people too. I think the South American local market is much bigger though, logistically seems easier, and think there'd be a lot of interest from people making vacations out it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was under the impression that the 3 host cities which put in bids were St. George, Tallinn, and Marbella.

Given that St. George just had it twice, and Tallinn is right across the bay from Finland you would expect the logical choice to be...

(Unless there was another city in the mix?)
Quote Reply
Re: 2024 70.3 WC Slots [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Marbella 2 weeks before Nice 2025 gets my vote!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:

That would absolutely get me excited, the Lahti Nice double was epic.

I'm actually hoping IM will allow ppl to defer from Kona to go Nice in 2024 qualifying as I have no real interest to race Kona,i know others do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:

Worth noting that the 2024 70.3 Marbella is now scheduled for the last week in October: https://www.ironman.com/im703-marbella

Community test event?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looked at some of the newly opened races to see whether they offered slots to 2024 or 2025...

According to both the NY and Augusta pages:
"This event offers slots to the IRONMAN World Championship."

I assume this is a typo and they're trying to be vague about 2024 vs. 2025, but as written it would imply Kona...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Looked at some of the newly opened races to see whether they offered slots to 2024 or 2025...
According to both the NY and Augusta pages:
"This event offers slots to the IRONMAN World Championship."

I assume this is a typo and they're trying to be vague about 2024 vs. 2025, but as written it would imply Kona...

With slots now being allocated for Nice via 70.3, this might not be a typo.
Quote Reply