Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Which of 3 ways of adding reach?
Quote | Reply
I would like to try adding reach on my Canyon Speedmax (rim brakes) and I can think of three ways I can go about doing that:
A) move pads and extensions as forward as I can (this is obviously the simplest solution but it still requires investing on some new accessories because of the way the mount and hydration interact with the bars. Also, it will eventually max out)
B) get the long stem version. This should add 2cm to the whole front end (base bar and extensions) but I think I will need to invest more in additional Canyon spares, including a completely new hydration and stem cover. It will give me more freedom of further moving pads and bars. As a side effect I will also be adding reach when on the base bar.
C) get new pads/extensions, potentially one of those many "super" extension kits that are claimed to have some very marginal aerodynamic impact because they bring bars closer to your arms. This is by far the most expensive option. Does it bring additional customisation? Is it worth it?

What are advantages and disadvantages of each option in terms of adjustability, handling, weight distribution, etc.? When are your head and arms too forward? Anything else I should be thinking about?
Last edited by: marcoviappiani: Sep 13, 23 9:41
Quote Reply
Re: Which of 3 ways of adding reach? [marcoviappiani] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ve done option 1 and 2. I ended up switching out the pads for Tri Rig scoops mini on PD 15° angled spacers, and some 45° extensions mounted backwards.

As for the long stem, my bike mechanic hates me for bringing him that. Apparently pulling the brake cables and housings as required is a bear. I never liked the front hydration on the ‘19/‘20 Speedmax so don’t miss it, and just used tape to cover the gap where the stem cover is too short - I couldn’t find the different cover and am just cheap like that.

As for body position, my head didn’t end up going forward at all, it just allowed my elbows to be forward a bit from the 90° they were at. I find it more comfortable. Unfortunately when buying my Canyon I used the fit coords from when I was riding back in ~2012/13…and they didn’t really transfer well to how positions are now. I would probably be a better fit on an XL vs the L I went with.

--------------------------------------------------------

It seemed like a good idea at the time. . .
Last edited by: type-B: Sep 13, 23 13:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Start with A since you can do it without any cost (at least to see if you like the fit....you can mod the hydration later).

B has the issue that you will also move the basebar forward. 2cm is a lot, so that part of the fit may be a dealbreaker.

C is a really nice upgrade if you have the $$$ and have validated A.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you need reach in the basebars as well as the end of the extensions or just one of those?

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Which of 3 ways of adding reach? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm mostly concerned with adding reach when in the areo position (at the extensions) as I think it would be more comfortable and aerodynamic. This is the main goal.
I don't have a problem holding my current position, I don't have any pain, but I feel my body wants to elongate.

About adding reach on the base bars, I'm not too sure. I feel like it might feel better but I'm not sure what it would do to handling. Also, changing the stem is quite an investment on this bike (both time to install it and money for the parts) as it's not like swapping the stem on a road bike. I'm not even sure I'd be able to do it myself in which case I'd need to take it to a shop and the nearest shop listed as a Canyon service is quite far.
Last edited by: marcoviappiani: Sep 14, 23 7:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you have the longest extensions commercially available already installed?
Do you feel like your elbows want to move forward as well?

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the extensions that came with the bike and I do feel like my elbows also want to move forward.

Right now I'd naturally move the elbows over the pads with the hands going slightly further than the di2 plugs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
then I'd go with moving pads forward 1 bolt hole if that's a possibility. I'd also extend the reach of the extensions by the same amount (depending on brand 5-15mm)

I'd see if that made me feel like I was moving forward on the saddle as well. Maybe going forward w/ extension reach makes you want to go steeper.

Personally I never met an increase in extension reach I didn't like, I just ran out of extensions that are available that are long enough. then I know others who feel like they are straining throughout their core/back to hold that position.

Hope that helps.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about a proper bike fit before jumping into throwing parts at it?
Quote Reply
Re: Which of 3 ways of adding reach? [MattyK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you all for the suggestions. It actually cleared my mind a little bit.
It definitely makes sense to start tweaking without any of the additional parts and then see how it feels from it.

Adding the stem on the Speedmax sounds like more effort than I hoped it will be. I remember having played with the brakes set up and it wasn't fun at all. If I'd need to change cables I'm not sure I want to do that at all.

MattyK wrote:
How about a proper bike fit before jumping into throwing parts at it?

A good bike fit is a good suggestion but it's not what I'm looking for right now.

To be clear, I'm comfortable with my position and have completed several races on it with good results and I can stay on the aerobars all the time in a race. I'm looking at optimising it.

I've had bike fits before and the majority of those experiences I haven't been happy with. Most bike fitters seem to do a good job at fitting the beginner cyclist/triathlete whereas I'd be looking at someone more experienced and oriented towards performance and optimisation. Those are expensive and harder to find and booked for months in advance. Also I don't know anyone I'd trust close to where I'm living now. Besides, there's no doubt that bike fitters will sell you additional expensive parts.

One issue on my current triathlon bicycle I went with an S after attending an in person sizing session with Canyon based on their recommendations when maybe I should have gone with M. Their sizing guide put me between sizes. Also, there's some caveats with how the integrated hydration and computer mount are on this bike that brings some unexpected limitations and that's why whichever way I go I'll need to buy some parts. The first thing I'm doing is getting a TT aero mount for the Garmin. Using that would allow me to solve one of those issues and give me more freedom to move the extensions.
Last edited by: marcoviappiani: Sep 15, 23 7:41
Quote Reply
Re: Which of 3 ways of adding reach? [type-B] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
type-B wrote:
I’ve done option 1 and 2. I ended up switching out the pads for Tri Rig scoops mini on PD 15° angled spacers, and some 45° extensions mounted backwards.

As for the long stem, my bike mechanic hates me for bringing him that. Apparently pulling the brake cables and housings as required is a bear. I never liked the front hydration on the ‘19/‘20 Speedmax so don’t miss it, and just used tape to cover the gap where the stem cover is too short - I couldn’t find the different cover and am just cheap like that.

As for body position, my head didn’t end up going forward at all, it just allowed my elbows to be forward a bit from the 90° they were at. I find it more comfortable. Unfortunately when buying my Canyon I used the fit coords from when I was riding back in ~2012/13…and they didn’t really transfer well to how positions are now. I would probably be a better fit on an XL vs the L I went with.

Do I understand correctly that you changed from the short stem to the long one and then also used non-Canyon angled spacers and non-Canyon extensions?
Do you have anything else to add to your experience? Do you think it's worth going that route?
Did you not consider Canyon's 9 degree spacer?
What front hydration are you using instead of Canyon's?
thanks!
Last edited by: marcoviappiani: Sep 27, 23 7:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry - I just saw this. Yes, I swapped for the Canyon Long Stem. I am also running much longer, angled extensions, and the Profile Design 15° angled wedges under the arm pads. I’m also running TriRig Mini arm cups that allow me to get a bit further forward. Since this pic I went for less of an angle on the extensions - ends up being somewhere ~15° (partially based on Desert Dude’s recommendations).

I did consider the 9° spacer, but it was never available when I looked. For IMCHOO I widened the pads just a bit and just ran a bottle on the extensions (which I prefer over integrated/bottle with straw systems). I’m looking at options now to get the bottle up higher between my arms and get my pads back closer together for next season. I’m much more comfortable riding like this, with zero issues staying aero for the 5:30 it took me to do the 116 at Chattanooga.

--------------------------------------------------------

It seemed like a good idea at the time. . .
Last edited by: type-B: Oct 11, 23 12:09
Quote Reply
Re: Which of 3 ways of adding reach? [type-B] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cheers, thank you for the details!
Quote Reply