Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help me win my AG
Quote | Reply
I'm 51, and just did my first tri since a few years off. Super sprint. I only train swimming in open water, I've only biked for 4 months since 2 years nothing, and I got a stitch on the run. None of that matters because look at my T1 and T2. No wetsuit swim even.
Help please! Keeping in mind that I'm 6'7" and not very flexible. So no flying mount and dismount, not standing on one leg putting on shoes. Any and all suggestions welcome.

Quote Reply
Re: Help me win my AG [Alabama Viking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hard to know how to help without more info. Sorry to suggest if you have already taken these steps, but...
Elastic laces.
Practice.
Minimize (i.e. don't eat/drink, put on race belt, other things that can be done on the bike or run)...

Transition time depends on transition layout, but your placing suggests that gains can be made. Watch the pros. What are you doing that they are not?

Befriend fast transition folks locally and get advice based on observation.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me win my AG [giorgitd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Transition is mostly about practice. Have you ever practiced it?

My Strava | My Instagram | Summerville, SC | 35-39 AG | 4:41 (70.3), 10:05 (140.6) | 3x70.3, 1x140.6 | Cat 2 Cyclist
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So, if I am correct you are looking for how to cut your times in T1/T2 when you are not wearing a wetsuit and you will not be doing a flying mount?
-How about your set up in Transition? Is it organized? Is your helmet opened and upside down so you can grab it and slip it on?
-Are your cycling shoes on your bike or on the ground? Are they opened and set to slip into or are you having to struggle to get them on?
-What make and model are your cycling shoes (if you have them)?
-Are you putting socks on? If so, consider using body glide and forgo the socks.
-How are your sneakers set up after you return to T2? Is your bib belt next to your shoes? You can slip that on while you are running out of T2.
-Is T1 a decent run from the water or short?
-Are you setting your gearing up properly for getting started in an easier gear at the mount line?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Actually, winning your age group in all but the least competitive of tiny races usually involves a lot (years) of consistent, high-quality training, and not just working on transitions. Although yes, if you're taking gobs of time in transitions, of course that's an easily fixed low-hanging fruit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bama, I say this with good humor because my father was born in Boaz, AL, but this post is a dog’s breakfast.

You need to give us something to work with!

Maybe:

1. What were the distances on the race you did?
2. What is your experience with triathlon and the 3 disciplines?
3. How do your times compare to those ahead of you? (Especially transition)
4. What training did you do?
5. What do you want from us?
6. Why are you tall for no reason? I’m 6’4” and it is pointless in this sport, especially when I am constantly beset by shorter humans running past me. Why on earth did you decide to be 6’7”?!?

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What are the best transition times in your age group? I mean, you did 3:21 and 3:02, but we don't know whether the fast guys did either <1:00 or >2:30
Quote Reply
Re: Help me win my AG [jollyroger88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jollyroger88 wrote:
What are the best transition times in your age group? I mean, you did 3:21 and 3:02, but we don't know whether the fast guys did either <1:00 or >2:30

We do know that he was basically top 5 in the s/b/r and 14th & 16th in the transitions, so regardless of what times the top guys had AV definitely can improve to top 5 in T1/T2.

Several good suggestions already given:
having everything organized is the cheapest and best time saver
practice is also cheap, but not as much of a time saver (IMHO)
elastic laces are cheap and good time saver

My first tri (a local 70.3) I couldn't get my wetsuit off. Once I finally got it off, I was so slow I decided to go ahead and go the bathroom. T1 was literally around 10 mins. A friend who participated asked, "what'd you do? take a smoke break?"

You were there, so you know what took twice(?) as long than the fast guys? Are they running faster in transition than you are (probably not)? I'm guessing organization improvements is your best bang for your buck.

Not a coach. Not a FOP Tri/swimmer/biker/runner. Barely a MOP AGer.
But I'm learning and making progress.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here’s the good news: at 51 you have 4 more years in your age group, bad news: it’s a very competitive group! Good suggestions already given, but when I see long transition times it could be that you are gassed on the swim and then bike and are using transitions as a way to recover.

Tips to win your age group. 1) Get a coach. That’s the one consistent thing I’ve witnessed in winners in competitive age groups. 2) look at past results in races around you. What are the times in the three disciplines of the winners. If you want to win you’ll have to beat those times. 3) train consistently. 4) get a bike fit, at your height fit is critical.

Watching good transitions, you’ll see a rhythm or smooth pace, no frantic scrambling, pausing, hesitation, or wasted activity. This comes from practice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I normally have some of the fastest transition times at my races, mostly sprints and olympics with some long course. So here are my thoughts:

Minimalism - your transition space should look sparse compared to those around you - especially in sprints and olympics you really don't need a lot of "stuff".
T1 - Shoes on the pedals - you don't need to do a flying mount, see the thread with videos of different bike starts. So the only thing you have to do is put your helmet on, grab your bike and run - so much time saved not touching your shoes in any way.
T2 - practice pulling feet out from shoes before dismount line and leaving shoes on pedals. Again you don't need to do a full running dismount, you can come to a full stop, climb off the bike but then you are running with just your bike to handle. Rack bike, helmet off, shoes on, grab bib belt and start running before you put the belt on. You don't need anything you can't pick up and run with.

Bonus Points:
Be running everywhere - the top place people will be.
Socks - if you wear them make sure you have picked a pair that you can get on easily, and practice with wet feet and hands.
Mounts/Dismounts - these don't change your T1/T2 times but there is free time there for your bike if you practice these
Quote Reply
Re: Help me win my AG [HoustonTri(er)] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HoustonTri(er) wrote:
I normally have some of the fastest transition times at my races, mostly sprints and olympics with some long course. So here are my thoughts:

Minimalism - your transition space should look sparse compared to those around you - especially in sprints and olympics you really don't need a lot of "stuff".
T1 - Shoes on the pedals - you don't need to do a flying mount, see the thread with videos of different bike starts. So the only thing you have to do is put your helmet on, grab your bike and run - so much time saved not touching your shoes in any way.
T2 - practice pulling feet out from shoes before dismount line and leaving shoes on pedals. Again you don't need to do a full running dismount, you can come to a full stop, climb off the bike but then you are running with just your bike to handle. Rack bike, helmet off, shoes on, grab bib belt and start running before you put the belt on. You don't need anything you can't pick up and run with.

Bonus Points:
Socks - if you wear them make sure you have picked a pair that you can get on easily, and practice with wet feet and hands.
Mounts/Dismounts - these don't change your T1/T2 times but there is free time there for your bike if you practice these

This advise is spot on.

Also - if you want to win your age group - Aim to win the overall. I came in 2'nd overall and lost my age group.......
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HoustonTri(er) wrote:

Bonus Points:

I think the advice is pretty spot on. But if OP wants to shave an extra few seconds, learn to ride sockless and put on the socks in T2. Putting on socks on wet feet is harder in T1 than on dry feet in T2, and being barefoot is easier (out of T1, and into T2) if shoes are already on the bike. Some opt to run sockless, but that takes a lot more practice than biking sockless (which took me a ride or three before I was comfortable)
Quote Reply
Re: Help me win my AG [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah - I left the specifics as to putting socks on in T1 or T2 as some people want socks on the bike and run. Personally I ride without socks and put socks on in T2 - and in Houston your feet and hands are still wet from sweat/humidity at the end of any ride. I have given up trying to run sockless, my feet just end up blistered and bloody, so the few seconds it takes to put socks on I gain back in comfort during the run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great advice….I would add know the transition area well. Walk and visualize it before the race so you know the route. One time I didn’t and dismounted my bike barefoot only to find I had to cross gravel on the way to T2…..that will slow down your T2 time when you have tender feet:-)
Quote Reply