Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Not a fan of gravel [Guff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So my takeaway is that I need to buy a surfboard.
Quote Reply
Re: Not a fan of gravel [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jim@EROsports wrote:
ericlambi wrote:
candyman wrote:
My son lives in the Boulder, Colorado area and you can ride gravel bikes on gravel roads in Colorado, but you can't ride gravel bikes on the gnarly mountain trails in Colorado.

I like riding my gravel bike on gravel roads, but do absolutely hate riding it on anything rocky that is better suited to mountain bikes. I don't understand why that's a thing people do.

That's because most "Gravel" is what cross country mtb used to be, but no one wants to admit they're mtb'ing.

funny point, this. i FINALLY got monty on a gravel bike this morning. 4 of us went out and i lent him one of the bikes from the fleet we loan out to our bike fit workshop attendees. he'd been riding his dual-suspension MTB all year. throughout the first hour monty said, "I'm 1:20 up on my seasons-best on my MTB." then a little later, "i'm 2:30 up." then, about an hour and a quarter into the ride, "i'm 4 minutes up." this was not a ride you could've done on a road bike, and it wasn't a route that was contrived to favor the bike he was on. it's the half-dirt, half-paved loops we do because those loops are available if you have the right bike.

for sure, it took owning 3 bikes before i finally got the bike that works here where we are, and it's a gravel bike that has tires that are pretty close to what you'd put on an xc bike. but this gravel motif is faster. if i was to ride ONLY the off-road segments then, yeah, much of the time the MTB is a faster bike. if i only rode the road segments my road bike is the faster bike.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Not a fan of gravel [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:

funny point, this. i FINALLY got monty on a gravel bike this morning. 4 of us went out and i lent him one of the bikes from the fleet we loan out to our bike fit workshop attendees. he'd been riding his dual-suspension MTB all year. throughout the first hour monty said, "I'm 1:20 up on my seasons-best on my MTB." then a little later, "i'm 2:30 up." then, about an hour and a quarter into the ride, "i'm 4 minutes up." t

I had the same experience. I have an "expert"-grade single track trail that starts from by backyard. My MTB had a flat tire I didn't want to deal with, so said, shoot, roll out the gravel bike. I shredded my MTB times going up.

And I learned that very tight switchbacks are much easier on a gravel bike, without having to deal with the huge wheelbase and huge rake angle of MTB.

Going down was an entirely different story. I could go maybe 1/4 the speed possible on MTB set to full squish. Any faster I'd start to get bucked off the bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Not a fan of gravel [candyman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
?
Quote Reply
Re: Not a fan of gravel [Andres] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that was KILLER. as he always is. but did you mean to put that particular video on this particular thread?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
that was KILLER. as he always is. but did you mean to put that particular video on this particular thread?

There was a little of "I don't like this without trying it" in the original post, no? I went looking for the video right after reading the op.

Just to clarify, I wasn't implying OP is a virgin (or that there's anything wrong with being one)
Last edited by: Andres: Sep 11, 23 16:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What is the point of this?

Do you also not like 4 wheel drive cars because you don't have a need for it?

Just because you don't find something useful doesn't mean it shouldn't exist.

I bet mountain bikers could say the same thing about tt bikes, but why would they... that would be dumb, just like this post
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm too cheap to buy a new bike so my old Cannondale CAAD8 will have to do.....and it does just fine,

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
candyman wrote:
I know that gravel bikes are the new hot commodity, but I live in Florida. There are NO gravel roads within 100 miles of where I live. Why would I buy a gravel bike if there are no gravel roads? My son lives in the Boulder, Colorado area and you can ride gravel bikes on gravel roads in Colorado, but you can't ride gravel bikes on the gnarly mountain trails in Colorado. I have a road bike, a tri bike and a commuter bike to ride to the pool. I am never planning to buy a gravel bike. Am I the only person that is not a fan of gravel bikes?

I guess i don't understand your post. Ride what you wanna ride. Who gives a shit what others ride or why. You do you!!
Quote Reply
Re: Not a fan of gravel [mountain_erin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mountain_erin wrote:
ericlambi wrote:
candyman wrote:
My son lives in the Boulder, Colorado area and you can ride gravel bikes on gravel roads in Colorado, but you can't ride gravel bikes on the gnarly mountain trails in Colorado.

I like riding my gravel bike on gravel roads, but do absolutely hate riding it on anything rocky that is better suited to mountain bikes. I don't understand why that's a thing people do.

I find this hilarious, as someone who lives in Denver, and can verify that many people, including myself, ride gravel bikes on singletrack MTB trails. And many of our gravel races on "roads" require the handling of a MTB rider. It's all in your perspective and what each person finds fun.

I always wonder if the people who ride gravel bikes on single track and other rough terrain have just never really ridden a mountain bike so they have no idea what is really fun. I don’t get the whole underbike thing. I was riding a rigid Klein mountain bike in 1990 and I am past repeating the experience on a mondo tire gravel bike today.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
we have a local race called the “dilemma”. it is a mix of road, gravel, and single track. the idea of the route is to make one choice not obvious.
Quote Reply
Re: Not a fan of gravel [endosch2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
endosch2 wrote:
mountain_erin wrote:
ericlambi wrote:
candyman wrote:

I find this hilarious, as someone who lives in Denver, and can verify that many people, including myself, ride gravel bikes on singletrack MTB trails. And many of our gravel races on "roads" require the handling of a MTB rider. It's all in your perspective and what each person finds fun.

I always wonder if the people who ride gravel bikes on single track and other rough terrain have just never really ridden a mountain bike so they have no idea what is really fun. I don’t get the whole underbike thing. I was riding a rigid Klein mountain bike in 1990 and I am past repeating the experience on a mondo tire gravel bike today.

It’s all different shades of the same color. When you’re choosing a weapon it’s necessary to take the whole day into consideration. Maybe I’m underbiked for some rough single track, I’m also probably a little slower on my knobbies on the asphalt, but I’m reasonably efficient on those surfaces as well as hard packed fire roads where my gravel bike really shines. Most of my favorite rides over the past several years were on my gravel bike. Epic days with a stop to swim in the middle, maching like a pro peloton on dirt track and a half with other really good riders, hours of soaking in nature on big group rides where we never see another soul…. the list goes on.

OP, the answer is easy. You just need to move.
Quote Reply

Prev Next