Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Training Day Session Hierarchy
Quote | Reply
Historically I have always swum in the AM with a run or ride in the afternoon.
But I find in order to get more bike volume and intensity in it might be wise to start doing my swim in the afternoons.

This seems backwards to me since the sports go in order, swim, bike run.
I also find when I swim after bike or run I am much more likely to cramp during the swim.

Jus trying to find "optimal"

So what say slowtwitch, what is the "optimal" order to a training day?
Why is one better than the other?
Quote Reply
Re: Training Day Session Hierarchy [STeaveA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The optimal order is most likely what your life situation allows. That's likely the biggest factor vs the "optimal" order.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Training Day Session Hierarchy [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
The optimal order is most likely what your life situation allows. That's likely the biggest factor vs the "optimal" order.
This. My schedule is 100% dictated by the rest of my life. If I had nothing to worry about I'd do the hardest session of the day first.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the response, but not really what I was asking.
I intentionally left out "life schedule" stuff since I have lots of flexibility where I set my own schedule however I want.

So I was looking for "optimal" or reasons why one way might be better from a training perspective
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Then add. that to the OP, because that matters when talking about the schedule.

So with that info now added to the discussion, your still not going to get the answer you are looking for. There's tons of factors that make an optimal schedule for you be a shit schedule for the next person. A ton has to do with goals, sport specific weaknesses. Generally. you want to be the "freshest" for key. sessions, and that can vary throughout the week of what needs to be fresh. I have weak swimmers who at times use a secondary swim as just a "fun swim" that is done at fatigue. So I dont think the discussion is likely to result in the "answer" you are looking for.

eta so the answer to your riddle unfortunately is....."it depends on X Y Z"....which of course if your wanting some specific answer is going to be frustrating, but that's the truth in the matter.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Sep 10, 23 7:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I find that if the swim is not the first session of the day, I can't get any quality in that session. Run/bike, I can switch order with no problem.
Probably reflects on how much I suck as a swimmer, just my 2c
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hah, never said I was looking fir a specific answer and I don't think I'm going to change the op because I worded it specifically to not include that info and specifically to not ask anything that involved the context of my life schedule.

Not looking for a specific answer, looking to see the various inputs and perspectives so I can gauge a good solution for myself.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd say order is typically organized to make it so you end up with the least day-to-day fatigue. This means that you need to consider your weaknesses and strengths. Strengths I like to get them over and done with first. But, weakness you want to set up to have the most generous amount "lee" time for technique and raw time investment to complete a quality workout, and actually timing of the day (typically most athletes will see better performances in the afternoon if environment isn't a huge factor). If though you have more time early, do your weakness first, and never skip it. It's really about what your focus is for each day.

When doing back to back training on the regular, i.e. you only have one block of hours to get all you training for one day, I remember reading a Joe Friel article saying somewhere that Swim, Run, Bike works quite well. So, swim then bike. or Run then bike. Or swim then run. etc. This is if you do not specifically have a brick planned for the day. I have used this for the last several years for ironman training and I really like that order. Why run before bike? Running tired off the bike sets you up for greater injury risk. Not to mention running fresh is completely different.

You can pick several other factors that help you make a decision on this, but I'd say day to day fatigue is my main factor here.

Matt Leu, M.S. Kinesiology
San Pedro Fit Works, Los Angeles, CA
Endurance Athlete and Coach
Consistency/time=results
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd recommend making sure whatever session you're trying to get quality in is first. Just doing general endurance, doesn't matter. Trying to do some actual fast run intervals? Do that fresh. Have a key swim session, make sure that's first. I'd recommend prioritizing to make sure you do your most important sessions as rested as possible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
to speed up improvement

-do your weakness as first workout of the day when you are both mentally and physically more rested.

-getting closer to races, the key session of the day is done first

-ultimatly, get the sessions in so go with what fit best your life schedule and other responsability. While not always ideal...getting it done is 99% of the battle.

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swim first. That way I can sweat the chemicals out.
Quote Reply