Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tyre Width decision making. 28 or 25?
Quote | Reply
Hi everyone, I am looking for some help in deciding which tyre width to go for on my front wheel.
I would like to know at which speeds the wider tyre starts to cost you more watts.

I am currently running a 28mm tyre on a Parcours Chrono Max.
The tyre measures at 30mm and has a really clean fit with the width and shape of the wheel.
I tried a 25mm tyre on there which measured at 27mm.

The reason I ask is because when tine trialling I usually hold speeds of around 45kmh but during triathlon this is slower at between 36-41kmh.
Parcours suggest that with real world yaw angles the airflow attachment is better with the 28mm as the tyre fits the wheel better. My assumption is at the higher speeds the yaw angle will be less relevant. I also do not fancy changing tubules tyres every few weeks just to have the right width so I would like to go for the one that will be fastest all/ most of the time.

Thanks for your help in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: Tyre Width decision making. 28 or 25? [jasonRR1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you're not testing, you're guessing. That said, I don't think there's much, if any published evidence to answer your question. There's a consensus that CRR is better on wider tires, but at an aerodynamic penalty. How much of a penalty? Who knows. If the wheel manufacturer is saying they believe 28mm is faster aerodynamically, I wouldn't change.

If you wanted to split the difference, you could go 25 on the front where aero matters and 28 on the back where CRR is the dominant factor.

What's the max width of the wheel? The only other thing is if the rule of 105% is still relevant as wheel/tire width increases.
Quote Reply
Re: Tyre Width decision making. 28 or 25? [mgreer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your reply.

Currently running 28mm on the back too.

The wheel measures at 32.4mm at its widest so around the 105 rule with the 28mm tyre.

I am tempted to go do some test runs with the two tyres in the future to find this out for myself.
Quote Reply