Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

budget smart trainer options recommendations please
Quote | Reply
After a long long break of 7 years I am slowly getting back on the bike, I have an old sad piece of junk that I call trainer that only works thanks to a metal plate that prevents the whole system from collapsing, although I have a limited budget I'd like to buy something I will use for the next 10 years, one of the key features for me is the noise, the quitter the better (although I suspect anything is better than my current setup), the price and preferably direct drive but not mandatory.
My budget is (or was...) €300 but I saw a couple of options that seem interesting, does anybody have any comment on those or any additional option is welcome!

- ELITE TURNO - not really smart trainer but I found the price interesting, I can currently buy it for €249
- Xplova Noza One - €285
- Elite TUO - €399
- ZWIFT HUB - €499

Has anybody tried the XPLOVA NOZA ONE bike trainer? I can't seem to find recent reviews and some older reviews seem to state that power readings are not accurate on very small intervals which to me is not that big of an issue since I already have a PM pedal based but I am curious if somebody has tried it already and has any feedback?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: budget smart trainer options recommendations please [FatBrokenMom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Still maybe above your price spec, but Wahoo just dropped the price on the Kicker core to 600 euros. Also settled their lawsuit with Zwift.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/...d-patent-court-case/

salmon - not because I'm a fish
Quote Reply
Re: budget smart trainer options recommendations please [FatBrokenMom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As already mentioned above, the Kickr Core is at a steep discount. I have one, and has been trouble free for 5 years. Would recommend. Compatible with the Kickr Climb (if that is of any interest at all).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shop for a reliable used trainer. I've see Hammer 1s for $350 CAD and H2s for $450 CAD or less, and they are pretty solid. There seems to be a lot of inventory right now. Still people flushing out Covid overpurchases, I'm guessing.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the xplova noza is not a smart trainer. direct drive with fixed resistance and power read out, just like the elite turno
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been using a Saris M2 for a few years now without issue or much complaint. It is wheel-on not direct drive, but can be had for much less than the $450 msrp.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Explore the used equipment market. Lots of pandemic cyclists getting rid of direct drive trainers. I have seen some really good deals on used Tacx Flux S or Wahoo Kickr Cores around your budget.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've owned three different smart trainers and also had the opportunity to test a few others.

In my experience, if you are not willing to invest in a well-known, good-quality smart trainer, it's not worth the money. You are much better off with a decent (fluid) dumb trainer, especially since you already have a power meter.

My first one was a Kinetic Road Machine. It was nice, but calibrating it every time, wheel slipping, and noise issues bothered me quite a bit.

Next, I had a Cyclops H2. This one was very good, and I had no complaints, but out of nowhere, it gave up. Since it was bought secondhand, a warranty was not an option (it was about 4 years old too).

After that, I tried an entry-level direct drive trainer. At first, it was surprisingly good, but it did not meet the specifications, and the customer support was just terrible.

Right now, I'm pretty happy with a Cyclops Fluid II dumb trainer. It's quiet, very reliable, and easy to use. It's great for working out when you have a power meter. Not the best entertainment device, but for training, it's more than enough.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have 10000 miles on a Tacx Vortex Smart. Bulletproof for me although others have reported issues. Wheel on. Noisy. Not the best accuracy (but seems reproducible). Probably not the best if you are laying down big watts. The current version is the Tacx Flow. A fraction of the cost of most wheel off trainers. But there are limitations. Have you consulted DCRainmaker? Start there.
Quote Reply
Re: budget smart trainer options recommendations please [giorgitd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ve got one of these and dig it. Can also back up the comments about noise, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: budget smart trainer options recommendations please [giorgitd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another vote for the Vortex Smart. Mines been going on around 4-5 years. I paid $240 from somewhere I found from Slickdeals. I’ll upgrade to direct drive when this fails.
Quote Reply