Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Baltimore Bike race, anyone been/going?
Quote | Reply
There is some brief discussion in the bike racing thread about the pro bike race coming up in Baltimore... but my question

I am wondering if anyone was at the Baltimore race last year? I am considering driving down from NYC with my 10 year old son to catch the race, for those that were there last year, do you think it would be worth it? did it feel like there was a scene? back in the day I used to go to the Philly race and that was great.

----------------------------
http://www.instagram.com/cyclewise
Quote Reply
Re: Baltimore Bike race, anyone been/going? [trener1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was there last year and had a good time. The finishing straight had a big crowd for the multi-loop finish, and a TV so you could watch the race when it was elsewhere. I’m planning on going back this year, but I also live pretty close so it’s logistically easy.
Quote Reply
Re: Baltimore Bike race, anyone been/going? [mdfedderly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't have an answer as I haven't been there, but my concern is about the possibility of the impact of the hurricane coming from the south and how it will play out in Baltimore area for the weekend.

Hopefully it diverts and there isn't an impact.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will be part of the Live Announcing team for the Race on Sunday.

I'm looking forward to it.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
live 9 miles from start (prob the same from finish).
I ride all those roads up in the county - very cool roads (very hilly).
for checking out the roads - the charity ride (expensive) on saturday is very cool and lots of celeb riders do the ride also. think its called bridges of hope.

for seeing riders - saturday LOTS of teams do a loop hitting several local bike shops - veloccino in butler, MD is a big one as its close to start. check veloccino facebook site.

seeing riders 2 - the start at kelly hq in sparks. all the riders are hanging out near team cars/buses an hour before the start.

the race - i'd guess most would say downtonw - they do 4 (7 miles or so each) laps.
i prefer the reservoir climbing loop they do 2x up in the county.
it's pretty easy to do a lil driving to hit several spots in county.

https://www.marylandcyclingclassic.us/

biggest race in US right now. hopefully good support will lead to some growth leading to Montreal worlds in '26. the montreal and quebec races next week have 16 pro tour teams - so if this race can grow a little extra prestige/uci points the fields will get better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trener1 wrote:
back in the day I used to go to the Philly race and that was great.

Same here; those were some good times

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I attended the Press Conference yesterday with local top Local Sponsors, VIP's and some of the top Riders.

Top ranked returnee from last year is 3rd placer, Neilson Powless (EF). He talked about how the course for the first time ever race last year, took everyone by surprise as to how hard it was in the first 2/3's of it compared toe the finishing circuits in Baltimore. The dynamics of the race took everyone by surprise!

Simon Clarke from Israel PremierTech, is the Defending Champion Team - Sepp Van Marcke, from IPT won last year, but has retired from racing, talked about how the parcours is very different than many European One day Classic races that often have the hardest terrain in the final half or 1/3 of the race. IPT are throwing some great rider resources at this with may be the strongest of the World Tour teams on Paper.

Matteo Jorgenson - on loan from Movistar will suit up for a USA Team of young U23 riders.

Robin Carpenter now for L39ION of LA, but last year riding for Human Powered Health, said that last year, many teams thought that it was going to be a Sprinters race, but that it was just WAY to hard for any teams to have their Sprinters survive to the final circuits! How it goes this year, knowing what they figured out last year, could be completely different.

Looking over the Team Line Ups, it seems most teams have taken an All Rounder approach to it, and the winning team probably will have multiple cards that they can play as the race unfolds.

Weather could be a factor. It's a 12 noon Start and it's supposed to be 98F/37C tomorrow!

Looking forward to being on the Microphone with Chad Andrews at the Start and at the Finish!

Last edited by: Fleck: Sep 2, 23 10:41
Quote Reply
Re: Baltimore Bike race, anyone been/going? [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:

Robin Carmichael now for L39ION of LA, but last year riding for Human Powered Health,

Robin Carpenter!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was there last year and thought it was a great event. Funny you mentioned Neilson Powless talked about how they were surprised by the difficulty of the course. I spoke to him & a few other guys at the finish last year and they all mentioned that. Also, if you’re at the finish many of them hung around for awhile and talked & took pics with the fans.
Quote Reply
Re: Baltimore Bike race, anyone been/going? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Robin Carpenter!

Yes. Thank you. Corrected! :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all of the info guys.
I ended up coming down, brought my 7 and 10 year olds.. it's going to be hot tomorrow, does it not start until noon?
We are staying downtown, so wont be going to the start, what time do you think they will get to the finishing circuits?.

My kids asked me if Wout or Sepp kuss will be there? (the only 2 names they somehow know LOL), yeah hopefully they will get to interact with some of the riders at the finish, trying to get them to show some interest in cycling but so far it's all Baseball, Football and Soccer, so maybe getting to meet some people that I can show them on TV will help change that.
Last edited by: trener1: Sep 2, 23 19:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Race starts in the county at noon, ETA for the city is 3p. Here’s a map of the downtown bits: https://www.marylandcyclingclassic.us/...017433-5ed8be4d-83aa

Stay cool out there!
Quote Reply
Re: Baltimore Bike race, anyone been/going? [mdfedderly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
start is a great spot to see the riders up close and even chat up a few. my picks are Skelmose and Derek Gee.
Powless and Jorgenson are itching to be good at this US race, so it could be another firecracker of a start. the first 50 miles are VERY hilly.
as scott mcgill said last night at team presentations - this area of maryland has all kinds of roads except flat ones.
it will be hot - that could hurt the smaller teams without as much support for feeding/water.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My kids asked me if Wout or Sepp kuss will be there?

No Wout or Sepp! :-)

Was super cool at the Team Presentation last night to see actual kid cycling fans wanting stuff signed by any of the riders!

But a number of other really great riders. This race has really taken a turn up into terms of the number of World Tour Teams that are here and the talent on those teams. Consider Simon Yates for Jaco - 4th at the Tour de France!

Based on who I see on the Start List, how it went last year, the terrain and the heat, it's a wide open race. Ultimately it will be the responsibility of the World Tour Teams to control things, but this is the kind of race where, something wild and unexpected can happen with an unexpected outcome!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The way that Victor Lafe won at the Tour would definitely have to put him in the mix as one of the favorites, though the question is that he might be treating this more as a vacation then a serious race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hopefully with better TV coverage than last year, it was awful. Great winner though. :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just wondering how the event went this year? I watched what I could on TV but wasn't finished my workouts by the time they rolled past me locally.
Quote Reply