Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Formula Speedlock/Di2 Cockpit swapping on Cervelo Aspero
Quote | Reply
I have a Cervelo Aspero GRX 815 di2 en route, which I am STOKED about for all the normal reasons.

Separately, I am also mildly obsessed with the n=1 bike idea (acknowledging that there are trade offs for anything other than designed purpose…and my Mtb doesn’t count toward n). So here’s the question: with the Formula Speedlock inline hoses, and some creative Di2 wiring/well placed connections, could I conceivably do complete cockpit swaps between drop bars and a tri bar by just unhooking a couple things and popping off the stem?

If so, what would that look like on the di2 side of things? Has anyone done this? Am I living in a fantasy land? Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Formula Speedlock/Di2 Cockpit swapping on Cervelo Aspero [morefunnerer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
morefunnerer wrote:
I have a Cervelo Aspero GRX 815 di2 en route, which I am STOKED about for all the normal reasons.

Separately, I am also mildly obsessed with the n=1 bike idea (acknowledging that there are trade offs for anything other than designed purpose…and my Mtb doesn’t count toward n). So here’s the question: with the Formula Speedlock inline hoses, and some creative Di2 wiring/well placed connections, could I conceivably do complete cockpit swaps between drop bars and a tri bar by just unhooking a couple things and popping off the stem?

If so, what would that look like on the di2 side of things? Has anyone done this? Am I living in a fantasy land? Thanks!

yes. you can do what you envision. in my opinion, the best way to wrangle those is not to try to thread them through the handlebars (entering at the hood an exiting just before the stem), but just keep the hoses external and just wrap them under the tape. this is because the fitting itself is kind of fat, and it's hard to get it in and out of the hole in the handlebar. remember, there is a shimano and a SRAM version of the hose.

i've got a lot of history with this product and it has been frustrating, because the invention of this product occurred before it was of any practical need. back when it was introduced there was no such thing as hydraulic disc brakes in road and tri, and there were no internally routed hydraulic lines. the invention preceded the need. when the need came, it seemed to me the maker of that product had moved onto other interests. the need for that product is huge, but you're one of the few that sees it.

that said, the particular use case you mention - swapping out road and tri front ends on the same bike - that is kind of a head scratcher. what you really want is to have that formula speedlock on your aspero, particularly if it's an aspero 5.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Formula Speedlock/Di2 Cockpit swapping on Cervelo Aspero [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the quick response, Dan. It is not an Aspero 5, specifically so there would be better external access to hoses. I read your article recently and it has been helpful in sorting through this idea. I think the inline Speedlock hoses for Shimano are the way, so that those connections would be accessible, but this requires buying two front and two rear.

The part that I’m having trouble envisioning clearly, in part because this will be my first di2 setup, is how this would have to be setup on the wiring/shifters side of things.

Thanks!
Sommers
Quote Reply
Re: Formula Speedlock/Di2 Cockpit swapping on Cervelo Aspero [morefunnerer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The neat thing about the Di2 wiring is that it doesn't matter what you connect to what part, or in what order.

As long as the parts are connected to the rest of the system, they will work.

You could use any jumber of junction B units (SM-JC41), or one or two Y-splitters (EW-JC130)... and any number of wires, really..

BetterShifting.com - Di2 help and guides| BetterShifting Instagram | Terry's Instagram
Quote Reply