Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Supportive Extensions for Mechanical 105?
Quote | Reply
Hi All,

I'll be doing my first Ironman this fall and I'm seeking a front end solution to address three factors, the most important being #1:
  1. Works with mechanical 105
  2. Comfort
  3. Fit / length

On point 3, I need a bit more front end length / adjustability. I have 120mm stem and I'll be swapping out for a 130mm stem, but would like a bit more extension length in case I need more reach.

These are the extensions I've researched thus far. They all provide some arm support:
  1. 51 Speedshop Rev (70mm rise)
  2. Wattshop Minimoi Extension Poles
  3. Profile Design 43 ASC Carbon Extensions

I've also considered longer arm pads, like Tririg's arm cups, to allow to be shift forward if I need more reach. But I'm not sure if they'd work with extensions that have arm / wrist support.

Last, this is my current setup:
  1. PD Wing/20C
  2. PD Supersonic J5 Bracket
  3. PD Sonic Ergo 35a
  4. PD Aeria Hydration system

Any input is appreciated. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Supportive Extensions for Mechanical 105? [nanban_ronin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nanban_ronin wrote:
Hi All,

I'll be doing my first Ironman this fall and I'm seeking a front end solution to address three factors, the most important being #1:
  1. Works with mechanical 105
  2. Comfort
  3. Fit / length

I tried to reply to this the other day, but the underfed hamsters in the server ignored it.

Have you flipped your Supersonic brackets forwards? That's an easy 30mm of reach if you haven't already. Or 15mm over the Sonic brackets you had.

With the pad width you showed on the QR fit thread you're a strong candidate for the 43ASC, my intent with those extensions was to sweep the shaft out in front of the arm. Rather than making the shaft aero shaped but only working for sub 140mm pad widths.

43ASC definitely work with mechanical - I had Campagnolo mech on mine. And they increase access to the HSF Aeria fill port.
Paired with a Race+ armrest you get quite decent forearm coverage
Quote Reply
Re: Supportive Extensions for Mechanical 105? [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, cyclenutnz. How exactly do you flip the J5 bracket? Just looking it, I don't see how the orientation can be different:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That looks like a Sonic bracket, not the Supersonic. The supersonic allows for more extension length if you swap the left and right brackets (but not more pad reach). The Sonic does not.

Last edited by: mgreer: Aug 29, 23 10:19
Quote Reply
Re: Supportive Extensions for Mechanical 105? [mgreer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mgreer wrote:
That looks like a Sonic bracket, not the Supersonic. The supersonic allows for more extension length if you swap the left and right brackets (but not more pad reach). The Sonic does not.

Oh, I think you're right. I didn't realize there were two similar brackets when researching these components.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, when your parts are named supersonic, sonic, subsonic, neo sonic, it's nearly impossible to keep them all straight.
Quote Reply
Re: Supportive Extensions for Mechanical 105? [mgreer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You forgot the Hypersonic...

It's a family of clip on brackets, that's why they're all Sonic. The integrated brackets are just boring A2 or A3.
Neosonic was going to be Negasonic for negative offset and in honour of the Monster Magnet song and marvel character, but I got vetoed because it sounded negative. So my next suggestion was for Keanu Reeves character but officially put forward as being "new" in Greek.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Culprit csr+ is a good on the market option for long arm cups

We also have a new model unreleased carbon composite which will retail for lower. I have a few pre production sets I will be selling out for beta tester feedback at discount.

Also, our new extensions are coming to market by the end of the year, we had some manufacturing delays pushing back our release. but they are mechanical compatible and offer adjustable hand grip design. Very comfy. but work best with our hardware if you are not riding a narrow arm position.

Cheers

Joshua
Quote Reply
Re: Supportive Extensions for Mechanical 105? [culpritbicycles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’d love to get my hands on a beta set. I’ve been waiting to pull the trigger on the CSR.

Strava
Quote Reply