Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

race report: the Inferno triathlon, Switzerland
Quote | Reply
last weekend, i finished a race that's been on my bucket list for a long time: the inferno. it's a 4-leg multisport race around interlaken, switzerland: 3k swim, 100k road bike, 30k mountain bike, and 25k run. the extra 'infernal' challenge comes from the climbing and the altitude, and - this year, at least - the heat.

i had the worst winter i can remember - two crashes (one broken bike, one separated shoulder), 3 bacterial infections (2x antibiotics) and maybe (?) another case of covid. on the other hand, i had a great summer. i'm a teacher and had 6 straight weeks of pro-style life. training 2x/day, naps, lots of good food and sleep, and no injuries.

i'd thought something like 11:30 or quicker might be possible, initially, given how my prep went, i adjusted my expectations and mainly hoped to finish well. i had a couple of process goals, and otherwise wanted to just have an experience.

pre-race:
things sort of start the day before, when you need the better part of 6 hours to set up your 3 transition areas. it's a point-to-point race, so you need everything laid out in advance. swiss efficiency helps make this easier, but it's still a lot of ground to cover. it was made worse on friday by the 32-degree temps.

swim:
we took a bus to the start line and had a nice bit of time to relax and warm up before the start.
and then ... we were off! i was feeling OK about my swim in general, having had some OK training this summer. i found some send-out speed, moved through the chaos OK, and then settled in. my main swim goal was simply to save energy. i wasn't worried about pace and knew i could hold the main pack, and happily that's about what i did, at low cost.

sighting was tough, at times, since we were a straight shot across the lake at sunrise. there weren't really intermediate buoys, but plenty of kayaks and boats. it was also much, much more choppy than i'd expected. in training, jan van berkel (who's won this race a few times) told me to expect a current drawing us to the left. it sure did! i thought i was correcting to the right but not enough! i usually pride myself on holding good lines and having skill in the open water, but if i had it to do again i'd take a cleaner line.

i think i came out around 55 minutes.

road bike:
i knew i'd have a very slow T1, and i did. compression socks, gloves, arm sleeves . . . it was a dawdle. but i got going eventually and felt good on the bike. the first climb was 'only' about 750m vertical, but it came too early and i wanted to get into a flat rhythm first. alas. i also realized that i forgot my sunglasses about 5 minutes in, so it was going to be a very squinty day.

as usual the swiss climbed like mountain goats and descended like demons; i had plenty of time to reflect on the watts/kilo phenomenon. at ~183cm/74kg, i feel relatively big on these proper alpine climbs. but i also found myself making back lots of time on the flats.

three dark spots in a mostly beautiful ride were, unfortunately: a loose aerobar extension (thankfully, on the flats), that i had to stop to fix; the knackering feeling of these fast, technical descents always makes it hard for me to enjoy them fully; and by the time we started the (1300m) final climb, temps were in the 30s and it was getting tough.

throughout, my mantra was just to stay controlled and never push myself into the red. i think i more or less accomplished that: ate well, kept HR below 160, and was able to feel like i was mostly enjoying myself and the day.

rode a bit under 4:20, with 197watts avg and 221 NP.

mtn bike:
i felt good about hopping on to the MTB; i'd ridden the course previously and knew exactly what to expect. i had road shoes on my MTB, so really all i had to to in T2 was to put on my camelback and run out.

it's immediately into a 10% grade and you more or less hold that for a bit over a vertical kilometer. at a couple of points i stopped at farmer's water troughs to soak my kit and cool off. i tried to keep at my 100g/hour plan, but was also adding water at this point and a bit of caffeine. i only had to dismount for a moment on a 50m stretch of 25%+ loose stuff, which felt good.

the descent i knew would be a place i'd give up some time, but it went worse than i'd hoped. the issue wasn't my skill/daring, but mechanicals - shortly into the descent my saddle rattled itself loose. i hopped off to fix it and was on my way. a short while later, during the only technical section, disaster: snapped my (carbon) seatpost. i stared at it for a while and then . . . shoved it down into the frame a bit and carried on. finally, near the end of the descent, the saddle rattled loose again. one more stop to fix it and then onto the flats toward T4. all told the mechanicals cost me something like 10-15 minutes, but helped to cool my rotors as well.

average (average!) temperature was 30 degrees for this leg, and it was a grind. no power meter on my MTB, but it was about 2:25, and an average of 135 bpm. i handed off my MTB and was happy to be rid of it.

still, i felt OK about starting to run and was still in pretty good spirits. a nice quick transition, and then . . .

run:
into the run, my main goals were to run stechelburg-lauterbrunnen, and winteregg-murren. otherwise, the goal was to keep moving.

i actually ran strong out of T3, and felt excited to be running. i was struggling to get soft flasks into my running pack, which was annoying the hell out of me, but overall it was nice to be on the hoof. my HR was surprisingly high, but legs were strong. after 5k of solid pace we immediately began the grinding. i opted to powerwalk the uphill to winteregg, but noticed that at that gradient and heat, my HR was still plenty high walking.

it was on the first big stretch of climbing that i started to feel my belly going off. gassy, and not feeling much like eating. i resigned myself to it and - like all of us, eventually - switched to coke. the powerwalking uphill continued and i was consistently able to run the (brief) flat sections. the crowds through murren were amazing - a car-free village where we run straight down the main street in full view of the beautiful peaks.

after that, things got worse. my mood deteriorated a bit and clearly the odd cup of coke wasn't enough for the effort of climbing a 3000m peak. i never stopped walking, but the negative thoughts crept in and it felt like more of a slog. at times it was scrambling hands and feet up the rock and my internal monologue was a bit tortured by that point. 11 hours in! throughout it all my legs always felt good - never cramped or anything - but the tank was completely, completely empty. eventually, my bloody-mindedness won out and i shambled (nervously) the final exposed ridgeline to the end in something like 12:45. i was absolutely done.

avg HR 126, avg pace 10:55, average power 226. despite the altitude the average temp was 25, and the total gain was a little over 2km.

that's that! i benefitted a lot from the advice i got from duncan shea-simmonds, jan van berkel, and gordo byrn. but above all i absolutely couldn't have done it without my wife. the logistical load on her was huge, running two toddlers around on trains/gondolas/busses and then mopping me up at the summit. you really, really can't do this stuff alone.

recovery so far is strangely fine - had a great swim on monday and fine little run tuesday - maybe the lack of descending helps!

the post-race video has some cool images, and it's pretty great of them to turn it around in a few days!

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: race report: the Inferno triathlon, Switzerland [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congratulations once more, great job! I might consider for the next year, because I thought about Gigathlon before, but was informed that one discontinued. Inferno looks like a great challenge.

Regarding the MTB part - what kind of MTB is preferred? Would a gravel bike be ok or no-go?
Quote Reply
Re: race report: the Inferno triathlon, Switzerland [Michal_CH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks mate!

hardtail MTB definitely. van berkel won it on a cyclocross bike one year, and after that they banned them! so it's flat-bar bikes mandatory. i rode a hartail mondraker with 1.9" conti race king tires. basically the most minimal setup you can get away is fine, because there's just two very short stretches of 'technical' bits and the rest is gravel or paved road. i guess if you own a really high XC bike there also wouldn't be much weight penalty, but you would probably lock out the suspension for 75% of the ride.

it's a cool experience, for sure. for me i'm not sure i would do it again, just because logistically it was complex and there are some other swiss experiences i want to have as well - zofingen, for instance. but i'm really glad i did it!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like a tough race and a tough weather day.

Good job finishing and enjoying it as well as you could.

Nice write up and photos.

Not a coach. Not a FOP Tri/swimmer/biker/runner. Barely a MOP AGer.
But I'm learning and making progress.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats, cool race!
Quote Reply
Re: race report: the Inferno triathlon, Switzerland [Dgconner154] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congratulations and thank you for your report!

I live on the shores of Lake Thun and have run to the top of the Schilthorn a few times. This is already sufficiently strenuous in "normal" weather and without the three disciplines before. However, the upper part is also not pleasant when it is freezing cold.
Without knowing each other we will have seen each other: I was at the aid station Winteregg the whole day.
Last edited by: Stefan: Aug 24, 23 8:23
Quote Reply
Re: race report: the Inferno triathlon, Switzerland [Stefan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stefan wrote:
Congratulations and thank you for your report!

I live on the shores of Lake Thun and have run to the top of the Schilthorn a few times. This is already sufficiently strenuous in "normal" weather and without the three disciplines before. However, the upper part is also not pleasant when it is freezing cold.
Without knowing each other we will have seen each other: I was at the aid station Winteregg the whole day.

ah, that was you!

well, thanks so much for volunteering. i'm afraid i probably wasn't very friendly by the time i passed through winteregg, but i truly did appreciate it. were you the guys with the beer and french fries?

i'd also done the run to schilthorn from lauterbrunnen once or twice before, and enjoyed it. but at the end of a race like that it's probably a bit too much for me. it makes me think that i should try the half-marathon next year. . .

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
congratulations for you achievement!
was this your 1st "extreme" multisport event, or have you done any more (swissman, otillo, embrunman...)?
Quote Reply
Re: race report: the Inferno triathlon, Switzerland [jollyroger88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i did the helveticman, which was a 1/2 ironman with similar amounts of bike climbing and a finish at altitude.

i did world (solo) swimrun champs last year, which was a slog for different reasons, but easier than this.

for reference you could consider that jan van berkel has an IM PB of something like 7:45, but never broke 9:00 at the inferno!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice one!

That looks like one of the most beautiful races in the world! I loved the scenery in Zurich IM, but Interlaken must be mind blowing!

Coming from NZ adventure racing scene, its also great to see an proper challenge adventure experience race. That really inspires. Especially in the upsurge of soulless pancake flat, PR guaranteed, draft fest courses designed purely to titillate the dullest split and stat fetishists. The journey counts!

I recognised the finish from this video, cant imagine a more epic finish line

Quote Reply
Re: race report: the Inferno triathlon, Switzerland [Lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i mean, i like going fast sometimes too. and after the inferno i do myself thinking it'd be nice to do some flat, fast stuff. but the older i get the more i'm attracted to races that mix up the formats and distances and do something more interesting. i got into the sport in the first place because i wanted adventure!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure why it's called Inferno, it looks like paradise!
Congratulations and nice report.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
iron_mike wrote:
i'm afraid i probably wasn't very friendly by the time i passed through winteregg, but i truly did appreciate it. were you the guys with the beer and french fries?

Yes, but the offer of beer has not been accepted by any athlete this year.

The athletes at the Inferno are without exception friendly and many thank us for our work. At IM events I have experienced (sporadically) other things.
Last edited by: Stefan: Aug 25, 23 10:56
Quote Reply