Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Forum user connect with Vittoria? Latex tube junk issues
Quote | Reply
Zero response from customer support. On my 3rd or 4th Vittoria latex tube where the oval shaped connection from stem to pink tube has separated causing a trashed tube and ruined ride.

I got like 10 from Excel Sports, I think, and have like 4 left of that design. Assuming they’re junk also.

I have one from somewhere else that instead has a circle smaller shaped piece there that appears more robust.

What’s the deal here? Bad batch? Bad design?

I’m a bit pissed about the cost to trash tubes and lost ride enjoyment and lack of a response. As I see it, I likely have to replace 2x these tubes on three wheelsets if this is common to each.
Quote Reply
Re: Forum user connect with Vittoria? Latex tube junk issues [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hear you. I had a bad batch of Michelin AirComp latex tubes probably about 10 years ago. I think 8 of the 10 I bought were bad and all in the same spot you mentioned.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Forum user connect with Vittoria? Latex tube junk issues [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just received 80 Vittoria latex tubes and hope they are good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All my recent vittoria latex tubes have gone the same way. I only ride outdoors on the weekend and I’ve found my last two flats when going to swap the trainer wheel for my outdoor wheel. I assumed it was just an age issue of whatever glue holds the black oval to the actual tube
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can you post a picture of the failure if you get a chance? I haven't had issues with my Vittorias or Silcas but I'm working with stock I bought a few years ago.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a Vittoria latex tube fail this way after very limited miles/time - less than a year old, maybe 200 miles (a race wheel). In fact, it failed the day before a race, so I dropped it at the mechanic tent and had them replace it with another latex tube - but I neglected to ask the brand. Just bought a Silca as a spare...but I also picked up a couple of TPU tubes and plan to try those in my everyday road bike as an experiment...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Me too - had two tubes fail in the exact same way. In both cases they failed during initial inflation. I was forced to ride butyl just to get out the door!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a batch like that several years ago which all had the same failure point. All the tubes had the same manufacturing datecode stamped on them. Just toss all the ones with the same code unless you like playing inner tube Russian roulette. I now go with Silca as I figure Josh will stand behind his products,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Forgive me if you already know this. But when inflating latex tubes, you want to be very gentle putting the chuck on the tube. You don't want to press the valve stem into the tire. In my case, that caused pinprick holes around the rubber grommet that holds the stem. This isn't a well known issue, but it's been mentioned on the forum before. Or if you're using a valve extender that has external threads, you could use a tubeless valve nut - but the stock Vittoria stems are smooth.

If that's not the case, then I'd suggest you keep trying to get Vittoria to help you. In the past, I did manage to get through to them on telephone. So they do exist, and there should be people still alive there.
Quote Reply
Re: Forum user connect with Vittoria? Latex tube junk issues [weiwentg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The rubber grommet is fully separating from the latex tube. Every time. Almost like the adhesive used is garbage. I have a Silca pump with the thread on chuck, so it's largely irrelevant any "ham fisted" install issue.

I have ran latex for years, no issues. Then now, issues. I guess like folks say, into the trash bin and go with different brand/design. Or, fuck it, go road tubeless. If I'm already wasting this much time.

My only "true" flats I've had on latex are pinch flats not bunny hopping some ridiculous pot hole OR something like a piece of wood mulch stabs thru the tire and tube.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wonder if the bad adhesive job is related to the change to the black stems. I've only used Vittorias with the brass colored stems. I do have one on the shelf with the newer black stem that I bought last year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I started having duds from the last few Vittoria latex tubes that I had on hand from a couple of years prior. They had an oval grommet patch and brass valve stem. I ordered a smaller number of tubes last year. The valve stems are black but the grommet patch is round on these. Touch wood, I haven't had any issues with my last batch.
Quote Reply
Re: Forum user connect with Vittoria? Latex tube junk issues [grabujosmi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Silca version was black stems with the round grommet so maybe Vittoria is now using that spec for all of their latex tubes. Interesting.
Quote Reply
Re: Forum user connect with Vittoria? Latex tube junk issues [Ken] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My last shipment of 80 Vittoria latex tubes had the black aluminum valves.
Quote Reply