Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: When/why do you stop reading a post? [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
s13tx wrote:
When people attack Lionel and Talbot with no apparent reason. It's same as you go to someone's work place and talking shit that person without any reason. Not cool at all and I don't even want to open a thread and be associated with psychopaths like that. I've seen some mentally ill people here hiding behind keyboard attacking.

When man-crushed Lionel fans turn every thread into a Lionel discussion ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: When/why do you stop reading a post? [Engner66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Engner66 wrote:
s13tx wrote:
When people attack Lionel and Talbot with no apparent reason. It's same as you go to someone's work place and talking shit that person without any reason. Not cool at all and I don't even want to open a thread and be associated with psychopaths like that. I've seen some mentally ill people here hiding behind keyboard attacking.

Now you've done it. Here we go again.

Quote Reply
Re: When/why do you stop reading a post? [Engner66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Banished to the Lionel sticky!

KJ
Swim and Triathlon Coach
AllTerrainEndurance.com
KJ@allterrainendurance.com
Quote Reply
Re: When/why do you stop reading a post? [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When people insist on nesting 800 lines of quotes without ever editing the contents of them to the salient points to be rebutted or addressed.

Quote Reply
Re: When/why do you stop reading a post? [NAB777] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[/quote] There's a poster on here who fits that description to an absolute T...who despite contrary advice from experts, continues to talk absolute rubbish.[/quote]

Ironically, I'm sure one day they will see the light.
Last edited by: rmt: Aug 24, 23 20:14
Quote Reply
Re: When/why do you stop reading a post? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Dont care about punctuation, caps, or spelling. I just dont want to read Kerouac's stream of conciseness original manuscript of "On the Road".

ha beautiful.. I skip the blocks of text too.

tendentious posts and abuse also lose my attention pdq
Quote Reply
Re: When/why do you stop reading a post? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Engner66 wrote:
s13tx wrote:

Now you've done it. Here we go again.

Someone asked a question and I simply answered. That is all.
Quote Reply
Re: When/why do you stop reading a post? [M----n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
M----n wrote:
When people insist on nesting 800 lines of quotes without ever editing the contents of them to the salient points to be rebutted or addressed.

It's usually only the last two or three quotes that matter, so I chop out the rest

"It's not the daily increase but daily decrease. Hack away at the unessential." Bruce Lee

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: When/why do you stop reading a post? [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hydrosloth wrote:
Not an entire thread, just an individual's post.
Is it the quality of writing, contrary or inflammatory views or language, or something else?
Just curious.

When they quote about 5+ previous posts and I can't actually find their addition after scrolling for hours.
Quote Reply
Re: When/why do you stop reading a post? [Island] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
... then you realize that they put their comment before the quoted part

Who would do that and think "yeah, that's fine"

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's funny to me that I read this as just yesterday I stopped reading the thread about the Crossfit dude who went 10 something at an IM because it was so negative. It's a prime example of the stew created by flawed character meets anonymity. That sh*t stops me cold.

I too couldn't care less about grammar, spelling, punctuation as long as I can decipher the message/meaning put forth - and as a horrible speller myself I have no choice in that. I'm sure I'll demonstrate often in this post.

I do frequently gain and enjoy what comes forth here. I can take lots of time off of Olympic Qualify focus and have Brooks and others bring me up to speed in a quick read of any draft leagal thread - currenly that's the OLY Test Event Paris thread. I recently laughed out loud at the first two posts on the sticky Official Encompassing Lionel thread (well done Whittlefit & girogitd). I was fascinated by the response to things like the Ashley Horner 50/50 thread. I'm interested in reactions to things like the two recent deaths at IM Cork - yes, there's the immediate and appropriate tragdey/sympathy/empathy response and then I can measure the speed and distance of what could be called the pussification of triathlon by the dismay of some bumpy water. And the biggest benefit is the assistance given and received here. That's my fave.

Ian

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
I just dont want to read Kerouac's stream of conciseness original manuscript of "On the Road".

Bless you. I recently reorganized my bookcase and found my (very old) copy. Now I’m going to have to pull it out and reread it.

Sharon

Festina Lente
Quote Reply
Re: When/why do you stop reading a post? [docpeachey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the original manuscript was typed out on one continuous roll of teletype paper; in a way, Kerouac invented "scrolling"

Quote Reply
Re: When/why do you stop reading a post? [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haha! I just opened my copy, and it is literally words from one margin to the other, straight down the page.

P.S. Do you think half the peeps on this forum even know who Kerouac is? I’m so old….

Festina Lente
Quote Reply
Re: When/why do you stop reading a post? [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
big sur was

Big Sur is a 1962 novel by Jack Kerouac, written in the fall of 1961 over a ten-day period, with Kerouac typewriting onto a teletype roll.
Quote Reply
Re: When/why do you stop reading a post? [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
General reply to the thread. I am on my 20th year using ST. In 2003, it was only 14 years after the Hypertext transfer protocol was invented by CERN. Many of us had this massive advantage in life, developing relationships with others before text mediums. Because of that, we needed to get to know other humans as people first, their various interests, motivations, desires and the alignment with our own.

On ST we have some some people where, for hard core racing, others to learn about training approaches, others who want to follow athletes and team, others here for exercise and lifestyle, others who are focused on a certain event, or a certain training goal. All of us by definition live in different places, different languages, different backgrounds, different religions, differnt ethnicities. Inherently we are all different but we have sport in common.

When the internet did not exist, (ex Ironman Canada 1991), we got together in a pub, cafe, at a pool, at the side of the road and just bantered and heard the background of the other person. Some people we click with on everything, others we click with on a few things, others we can't stand (the latter is OK),

But in a world before the internet, rule number one of social interaction was getting to know the other person and their motivations. In real life, be it in sales, running an organization, coaching a kids soccer team, we have to do that anyway, but the internet offers an option to NOT do that.

If you read this far, this is where ST can devolve. Because we don't care to get to know each other. If we want to get to know the other guy we get more value of each other, and I think that was Dan's desire when he set this place up, to bring online, what we would do socially at a race, a training camp, a track workout, a pool workout, or a multi day bike tour.

To specifically answer the question, if I am on ST and I open a thread I literally read every word to get to know all the angles. But I read and type at pretty high clip, so I can.
Quote Reply
Re: When/why do you stop reading a post? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When communicating by written word, brevity is your friend. Tell me what you think clearly and concisely. I would like to know but not if it’s more than 4-5 clearly constructed sentences. Options to get to know someone better would be a PM, phone call, or coffee shop visit.
Quote Reply

Prev Next