Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Aero wheels for 30-32mm tires?
Quote | Reply
Thinking I would actually like to go wider than 28mm…but are there any aero wheels optimized for 30-32mm tires or am I going to eat into all of my aero gains going that wide?
Quote Reply
Re: Aero wheels for 30-32mm tires? [AGTC1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
These two come to mind.
Princeton Carbonworks Dual 5550 - https://www.princetoncarbon.com/product/dual-5550/
ENVE SES 4.5 AR Legacy - https://www.enve.com/product/ses-4-5-ar/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i doubt you will find anything that is actually optimal for aero with a 30mm+ tyre. you can however get wheels that don't lose too much and when taking into account RR may be similar overall speed with a 30 as with something narrower (give or take depending on road surface).

off the top of my head the enve 4.5 and cannondale knot 64 are examples of rims with an external width of 32mm. that is just wide enough to still be aerodynamic with a 30mm tyre (noting that on the enve a 28mm stated width tyre will mount up as 30mm).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are plenty.

Polaris Ascent 69 is 32mm at the hook and 35mm max (currently I'm eyeing this for 32mm tires)

Hunt Limitless 60 is 30mm at the hook and 34mm max

Reserve 52|63

Lightbicycle WR65

Craft Works CS5060 (front is wide, rear not)

Roval Rapide (front is wide, rear not)

Nextie ARX

Nextie CGX

Weelsfar Wave
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also bear in mind that even if the rim is 32mm+ wide, a 30mm tyre will likely measure up wider than stated on that rim.

As rims get wider, you start chasing your tail on tyre width versus rim width given a wider internal rim will make the tyre blow up fatter.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero wheels for 30-32mm tires? [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a pair of Light Bicycle WR50's build up with some DT Swiss hubs for my gravel bike. No spoke holes for easy tubeless installation. With 32c GP5000 S TR's installed they sit pretty flush with the outer width of the wheel. Not the ideal tire width for aerodynamics but a solid choice if you really want to run wide tires. The benefit is I'm able to run 45-50 psi on the road and they're so comfortable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went with a set of 3T Discus wheels, on a sweet sale from Excel Sports. (Put them on a 3T Exploro Racemax build). Running GravelKing SS tires on them, 32 front and 35 rear, tubeless. Happy with the purchase so far!
Quote Reply