Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

UCI rules, TT "hack"
Quote | Reply
Ok, here's the catch.
Some humans are disadvantaged by UCI rules in TT. That's the way it is.
Especially those who are small, have very short legs and long torsos.
Very hard to find framesets that suit them well, also hard to achieve a good aero, legal position on the bike.
What about this:
Putting a special shim under the shoes to raise the rider's seat. For very short riders, that would mean getting access to more bike frame models, but also a better, easier to achieve with the limited parts available now, and more aero fit.
I'm talking half or 3/4 inch now, please dont't send some Paul Stanley stage boots pictures X-P.
I mean, if UCI accepts 2-3 wedges to correct some leg discrepancy, why wouldn't they accept 6 of them ;-) ?
Would that be considered "alteration to material to improve performance" illegally ? I mean look at the track bikes they had in Glasgow !?!!
I don't find anything on the ever infinite UCI rule book.

I know what zillions of Slowtwitchers are thinking: put them on 650c wheels bikes. That option is past expiration date.

Louis :-)
Quote Reply
Re: UCI rules, TT "hack" [louisn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shorter cranks achieve the same thing, largely, and are perfectly legal as-is.

If I were in that situation instead of sacrificing the aero of stacking cleats, I'd go shortest crank I can feel comfortable on.
Quote Reply
Re: UCI rules, TT "hack" [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
Shorter cranks achieve the same thing, largely, and are perfectly legal as-is.
...and, if necessary, use a cleat/pedal combination with a high stack height, like the original Looks.
Quote Reply
Re: UCI rules, TT "hack" [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Shorter cranks achieve the same thing, largely

Well, they do the same thing at the *bottom* of the pedal circle, with the gigantic plus of not also making the effective crank length longer at the top of the pedal circle. Short(er) cranks ftw, by a mile.

Adding cleat stack is enormously counterproductive for riders with the short leg/long torso morphology the OP describes because of exactly this fact.

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Re: UCI rules, TT "hack" [louisn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Adding stack height to the pedals is a ridiculously poor idea. It doesn't raise the circle drawn by the foot, it completely distorts it.

On the downstroke the foot is flattest, so lets say you raise the foot by 1" there
On the the upstroke the foot is tilted forward, so it's now lower and closer to the BB.

And that's to say nothing of the instability of trying to push watts on these, and non-downwards force is going to torque the foot around the pedal spindle.
Quote Reply