Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

When to get rid of / replace a helmet ?
Quote | Reply
Do you get rid of after looking at the date on the inside and determining it's past it's safe date (what year is that currently)?
Do you just visually inspect and then decide?
To me, I would think over time there is some degradation that might occur and you may not be able to see.
Hate to toss a seemingly perfectly good helmet but also don't want to wear something so potentially brittle that it smashes like an egg shell upon impact (not wishing for that) ........
Quote Reply
Re: When to get rid of / replace a helmet ? [Y-Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I went thru this exact debate recently, trying to decide whether to replace my perfectly fine helmet. I saw various numbers from manufacturers, 3 years, 5 years, but I struggle to trust the brand bc they are biased and part of it is a sales pitch, probably.

I found a few articles from media sources, I think bikeradar was one, that were a little better in outlining what factors can influence when is appropriate to replace. How much you ride (i.e., sun exposure to foam/shell), how you handle your helmet (i.e., do you treat it like a baby, put it in padded case always or perhaps you toss it around the trunk of your car or garage rather rough). For instance, if you do toss it around and it has tiny nicks and imperfections in the shell, that helmet even though one year old could perform worse in a crash vs a 5 year old helmet that's in perfect shape, kept in padded case at all times.

So I think the short answer is it depends. But pure time that youve owned it or since it was manufactured is not the end all be all. At least that's what I came to gather.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For me, as soon as it gets so gross from sweat and use that it looks fairly disgusting, or when it touches the earth, whichever comes first. Usually that results in a new helmet every 18 months or so.

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When it is involved in a crash.

The foam is UV stabilized, and should be fine unless it is stored in an area with chemical fumes that can degrade the polystyrene.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whenever the ST community deems something is faster than Giro Aerohead...

Thought this was a no-brainer :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When Rapha change their seasonal colours…
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Met used to say 8-10 years but that figure has come down in line with other manufacturers.
If left in sunlight it’s suggested Polystyrene takes 500 years to degrade.
Where it till you crash it or till the adjuster breaks or till you see visible damage.
I just threw out a Catlike helmet from maybe 2007 as the adjuster was broken but the helmet itself looked as good as the day I bought it, if I could get a new adjuster I would have fixed it.
I have had a couple of Giro helmets that cracked without actually crashing? One was changed under warranty and not sure what happened with the other one think I may have just thrown it out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Having bee hit by a car three times and having had a very serious head injury from one of the accidents, every other year. My head and life makes it a good investment for me and totally worth it. The latest helmet technology to protect my head gives me comfort. I also use radar even though I have never been hit from behind. It keeps me comfortable on the roads.
Quote Reply
Re: When to get rid of / replace a helmet ? [Juanmoretime] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
3 times. Holy crap. I think I would have been done after the 2nd. Mountain bike or something.

Where are you riding?
Quote Reply
Re: When to get rid of / replace a helmet ? [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RIGHT !!??? Yikes.
Quote Reply