Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Aero Wheel Depth/Weight Question
Quote | Reply
I'm thinking of buying some FLO aero wheels for my tri bike. Seems they offer the best bang for my buck. Will be my first pair of aero wheels. Questions for those who know more about aero wheels than me (ie everyone)

Should I go FLO 77 front and rear or should I do the 64 front and 77 rear?

Bonus question: How much time would I be giving up over ironman distance by swapping the 64 full carbon out for the clearance 60 Aluminum and Carbon wheel? Its 141 g heavier for the A + C

About me: I'm about 80 kg and a very good bike handler. Current IM Bike split on non aero and aluminum rims is 5:20. I have all the other fancy aero upgrades like helmet etc already.

77 Link:
https://flocycling.com/...cts/flo-77-rim-brake

64 Link:
https://flocycling.com/collections/64-as/products/flo-64-rim-brake

60 A+C Link:
https://flocycling.com/...o-60-aluminum-carbon
Last edited by: Tribike53: Aug 11, 23 12:10
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Wheel Depth/Weight Question [Tribike53] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
According to Flo's website, the difference between the 77 and 64 is like 12 seconds over an Ironman.

I'd go with what you think looks better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A solid rear disc wheel is fastest and the most stable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Echoing above, choose depth for looks and get a rear disc.

I started with FLO 60mm/90mm wheels. I found the 60mm looked a little anemic on the front of an aero bike with wide tubes. And, I wished I got a disc. So, I sold those and got 90mm front and disc rear. The bike looks way better and flies through the wind.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Wheel Depth/Weight Question [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
Echoing above, choose depth for looks and get a rear disc.

I started with FLO 60mm/90mm wheels. I found the 60mm looked a little anemic on the front of an aero bike with wide tubes. And, I wished I got a disc. So, I sold those and got 90mm front and disc rear. The bike looks way better and flies through the wind.

You are right on looks being important here. Unfortunately a disc is a little out of my budget right now but I appreciate the input. Now its just a matter if I care to spend a little more on the front to get the even look front and rear...

SBRcanuck wrote:
According to Flo's website, the difference between the 77 and 64 is like 12 seconds over an Ironman.

I'd go with what you think looks better.

I missed the 12s comparison too on their website, thanks for pointing that out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I vaguely remember reading somewhere that the majority of the wind resistance in spokes is in the first two inches on the outside of the wheel. It makes sense because those spokes are moving the fastest. That is why most of the first aero wheels were in the 60mm range. Beyond 60 mm there are marginal gains.

Still, if I had the chance, I would go to a 90mm front to pair with my rear Powertap wheel/cover. Real discs are expensive and honestly, unessessary until you have to have that soul-crushing grinding sound a full disc makes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I think the handling difference would also be pretty minimal since it's the same rim shape between the two depths. IME it's when you totally change wheel model/brand that the handling performance really becomes more noticeable. Since you're a confident bike handler my vote is to go 77 front and rear, all day.

Side note, irrelevant since I recommend the 77s, but you need not worry about 141g, if it ever becomes a question here or elsewhere in your choices. That amount of weight won't affect anything in terms of noticeable time difference or riding quality.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Flo wheels are really good. I've had 2 pairs. Chris and John are also very helpful. Can't really go wrong there.

I'd also suggest looking at premier wheels. According to a test (I think done by Brian Stover on here) they tested very fast and outperformed top tier wheels.

Check them out. D. Kennison is on here and owns premier bikes/wheels.

HED jets are also great ( I have many of them).

Good luck!

As another poster already mentioned the difference between the 60 and the 90s is very small. So it's really about what you think will handle the best for you and how you think it looks.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Wheel Depth/Weight Question [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I found the post by desert dude:

Re: Recommend a wheelset <$2,000 [stewie] [ In reply to ]
desert dude Apr 12, 23 6:40 Post #9 of 27
If I were buying wheels and going fast & quality were important to me, I'd go with Premier or Hed.

I've tested both wheels, and others, those are the cream of the speed crop from what i tested.
Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta Twitter
Quote Reply