Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Maui
Quote | Reply
Pretty horrendous scenes in Maui right now.

I wonder if it will affect Kona? Different island I know, but Hawaiians might have more important things to deal with now than putting on a race.
Quote Reply
Re: Maui [Island] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are also fires on the Big Island.

The Akoni Pule Fire is burning in the North Kohala District off Akoni Pule Highway, also known as Highway 270, near Kohala Ranch, Hawaii County officials said in a Wednesday morning news release. The fire is roughly 60% contained, Roth said in a Wednesday morning Facebook video.

Another fire is in the South Kohala District in Waimea, Hawaii officials said. The South Kohala blaze is in and around the Mauna Kea Beach area as of Wednesday morning, Roth said.

Those in the Kohala Ranch area, below Kamakani Loop and North Fairways of the Mauna Kea Resort, a popular tourist destination, have been ordered to evacuate, according to a county notice last updated Wednesday at 4 a.m. HST. People staying at the popular Mauna Kea Beach Hotel are sheltering in place, Roth said.

The North Kohala Ranch near Kamakani Loop is still closed and evacuated, according to a hazard map from the Hawaii County Civil Defense Agency. Mauna Kea has opened up the North Fairways while the South Fairways remain closed and officials are continuing to evacuate the area.

Map: https://hawaii-county-civil-defense-agency-hawaiicountygis.hub.arcgis.com/...1e827d4c8a4b/explore

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Brutal and unbelievable. I got married there and also rented a bike from a local shop in Lahaina for some epic riding up the coast. I hope to be able to repeat all that one day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spent my delayed honeymoon in lahaina after Kona last year. I am at an absolute loss of words and cant fathom what that community is going through right now. My hear and prayers go out to them. I hope Ironman (and all of us) do the best we can to provide support and aid.
Quote Reply
Re: Maui [Tri78910] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Absolutely devastating

Last edited by: Lagoon: Aug 10, 23 11:55
Quote Reply
Re: Maui [Lagoon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ugh, sucks so bad. I’ll going to kanaapali in November, not sure how it’ll affect things for us.

I think it’ll have little to no impact on Kona unless the fires worsen on the big island. Remember, the locals may hate it but it’s a big piece of tourist revenue for the state.

My Strava | My Instagram | Summerville, SC | 35-39 AG | 4:41 (70.3), 10:05 (140.6) | 3x70.3, 1x140.6 | Cat 2 Cyclist
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Totally devastating. I just made a contribution here: https://www.hawaiicommunityfoundation.org/maui-strong
Quote Reply
Re: Maui [theyellowcarguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
theyellowcarguy wrote:
Ugh, sucks so bad. I’ll going to kanaapali in November, not sure how it’ll affect things for us.

I think it’ll have little to no impact on Kona unless the fires worsen on the big island. Remember, the locals may hate it but it’s a big piece of tourist revenue for the state.

Yeah, we are going to Kanapali in October. We have friends going next month and will be interested to hear how it is.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: Maui [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bryancd wrote:
theyellowcarguy wrote:

Yeah, we are going to Kanapali in October. We have friends going next month and will be interested to hear how it is.

Maybe an unpopular opinion, but I would be more interested in hearing about how your friends are changing their itinerary away from Maui. Even a month down the road, the stress that these fires are putting on the locality will not have changed all that much. The County of Maui is advising tourists to vacate Maui at this time so that the limited resources of the island can be put towards people who have lost everything this week.
Quote Reply
Re: Maui [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We discussed this and are likely to cancel our plans for our November holiday there. I really don't know if the island will be functioning at a near normal level or not by then, but I do feel not adding more stress might be better.

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Re: Maui [GingerAvenger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GingerAvenger wrote:
Bryancd wrote:
theyellowcarguy wrote:

Maybe an unpopular opinion, but I would be more interested in hearing about how your friends are changing their itinerary away from Maui. Even a month down the road, the stress that these fires are putting on the locality will not have changed all that much. The County of Maui is advising tourists to vacate Maui at this time so that the limited resources of the island can be put towards people who have lost everything this week.

I think that's an appropriate opinion. For us in November, it's not refundable although it may be flexible with the current circumstances. Since we're still 3 months out I figured we'd wait til a little closer to see what's advised and what our options are before making the call.

My Strava | My Instagram | Summerville, SC | 35-39 AG | 4:41 (70.3), 10:05 (140.6) | 3x70.3, 1x140.6 | Cat 2 Cyclist
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GingerAvenger wrote:
Bryancd wrote:
theyellowcarguy wrote:

I can tell you after hurricane Harvey flooding our home with only 2’ of water, and only in the house for a few hours, it was several months before we settled down and ten months before things were close to being back to normal. For my friends who basically lost everything, it was years.

The unfortunate people will have much more than three months before things will settle down for them.

Not a coach. Not a FOP Tri/swimmer/biker/runner. Barely a MOP AGer.
But I'm learning and making progress.
Quote Reply
Re: Maui [cholla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mahalo for making your donation to this organization as suggested by our government leaders. This terrible tragedy will impact our island and the community for a very long time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GingerAvenger wrote:
Bryancd wrote:
theyellowcarguy wrote:

So we decided to cancel yesterday as it was the last day to do so and receive a full refund from VRBO. I want to support the community financially but I don't think they need a bunch of mainlanders running around looking for snorkeling trips right now. Our friends who were scheduled to go next month, an annual trip for them, have been told they need to cancel by the property owner, so it looks like the local community is focusing on recovery first.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: Maui [cholla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cholla wrote:
Totally devastating. I just made a contribution here: https://www.hawaiicommunityfoundation.org/maui-strong

Same. I've been fortunate to have traveled to Hawaii many times and the islands have always given me far more than I've given them. Sad to see this unfold.
Quote Reply
Re: Maui [ttamrez] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've got many good memories of Lahaina. Haven't been recently, but spent a good amount of time there on family vacations as a kid. I'm absolutely gutted for them over there.

Even a year from now they'll just be getting into the thick of rebuilding, and it'll be half a decade before the area is anywhere close to being normal again. Insurance isn't always quick to pay after a disaster. They'll eventually make things right, but it won't be an overnight turn around. Praying for those folks, just awful.
Quote Reply