Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IM 70.3 Rwanda - 67 finishers [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
ckoch wrote:
Certain sports are going to skew towards different demographics (think NBA, NHL, etc)

I can't think of a much more diverse sport than basketball. All races. Men, women. Urban, rural. West and east (talking globally).

Maybe you're referring to actual NBA players being predominantly black, but that's different to me than appeal at the amateur level or appeal to fans. Everyone (broadly speaking) loves basketball.

Only soccer is more universal, maybe.

Does diversity mean representation from all demographics or representation inline with jurisdictional demographics? The NBA is in US/Canada, and as pointed out earlier highly overrepresents black Americans, much more so than triathlon overrepresents white Americans. It's not a stretch to say that triathlons is more diverse than basketball, because it more closely aligns with the population.

Of the big four American sports baseball is actually the most closely aligned to the population demographics. From a quick google: Population/MLB- White 59/57 - Hispanic 18/31 - Black 12/7 - Asian 5/3. That's an amazingly close match, and to my knowledge baseball is a cold and heartless meritocracy, at least compared to subjectivity of most sports. Or maybe I just watched Moneyball too recently.
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 Rwanda - 67 finishers [mathematics] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mathematics wrote:
The NBA is in US/Canada, and as pointed out earlier highly overrepresents black Americans, much more so than triathlon overrepresents white Americans. It's not a stretch to say that triathlons is more diverse than basketball, because it more closely aligns with the population.

I was talking more the sports as a whole, while I think you're focusing on elite NBA players. Talking sports as a whole, there is huge diversity in basketball. High school, college, etc.

But if we're comparing elites vs. elites, what U.S. black elite triathletes are there? The NBA is ~17% white with well-known stars, like Porzingas. This is a genuine question because I'm a roadie, not a triathlete, so I only know about 6-7 American elite triathlete names, but none of those are black. A quick but very incomplete search led me to this NYT article from last year about the *second* black American to reach professional status in triathlon in the U.S., though that may be just at the USAT vs. IM classification. 2020 survey by USAT found that 1.4% of USAT members are black.

I'm not sure which "stretch" you're finding when saying triathlon is more diverse than basketball in any measurable way.
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 Rwanda - 67 finishers [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
mathematics wrote:
The NBA is in US/Canada, and as pointed out earlier highly overrepresents black Americans, much more so than triathlon overrepresents white Americans. It's not a stretch to say that triathlons is more diverse than basketball, because it more closely aligns with the population.

I was talking more the sports as a whole, while I think you're focusing on elite NBA players. Talking sports as a whole, there is huge diversity in basketball. High school, college, etc.

But if we're comparing elites vs. elites, what U.S. black elite triathletes are there? The NBA is ~17% white with well-known stars, like Porzingas. This is a genuine question because I'm a roadie, not a triathlete, so I only know about 6-7 American elite triathlete names, but none of those are black. A quick but very incomplete search led me to this NYT article from last year about the *second* black American to reach professional status in triathlon in the U.S., though that may be just at the USAT vs. IM classification. 2020 survey by USAT found that 1.4% of USAT members are black.

I'm not sure which "stretch" you're finding when saying triathlon is more diverse than basketball in any measurable way.

Talking about professional sports, sorry for the confusion. From a previous post:

Quote:
There are sports that aren't diverse in the other direction. Basketball/football are classic examples. In the US it's 60/12 (percent) white/black. In the NBA it's 17/76, in the NFL it's 25/56. That's an over-representation of 64% and 44%, or under-representation of 43% and 35%. It's impossible to have numbers that out-of-line in triathlon even if it was 100% white.

Basically saying that percentage-wise, even with zero black triathletes the triathlon demographics are closer to the population demographic. The question I'm asking is: Does diversity mean having a minimum number or representatives from certain demographics (nominal representation), or does it mean having a demographic makeup that aligns with the population as a whole (equal representation)?

You can take it one step further and ask: At what point is a sport (or any subset) diverse? For simplicity, the US is 60/12 white/black. Would triathlon be diverse if it was 61/11? 99/1? For that matter, would the NBA be diverse if it was 1/99? It's clear to me that representation in line with the population as a whole is a better definition, and by this definition the NBA is less diverse (read: less aligned with the population) than triathlon.

When people say they want more diversity (or anything really) and then fail to define it in a meaningful way it leads to confusion and frustration from all groups.
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 Rwanda - 67 finishers [dcpinsonn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dcpinsonn wrote:
ckoch wrote:
dcpinsonn wrote:
mathematics wrote:
dcpinsonn wrote:

I think there's a lot of natural defensiveness that comes with reading something like this as a white person in a white dominated sport. The post isn't meant to make you feel guilty, or say that you can't like watching pro triathlon, or that you can't do triathlon. It's acknowledging that the sport isn't diverse & that is on display, whether or not we want to acknowledge it, at every championship race. Ignoring race because you can is what's dangerous. The color-blindness chatter that immediately pops up when comments like this are made are outdated. This comment shouldn't make you feel a type of way as a white triathlete. Nobody is coming for you or your sport. But this race is a good example of what the sport can look like with intentional investment. Hopefully we see some more of this moving forward.

So it's preferable to treat people differently based solely on the color of their skin? Can't see how that could possibly go wrong.

I can see that this conversation is a non-starter but there's a big difference between acknowledging race & this jump to reverse racism. Color blindness just protects economic status quo -- which has some people being able to accumulate family wealth while others are denied that opportunity. Color blindness does nothing to work against that. It preserves a system set up to benefit some people, and not others.

OMG... so much wrong with this binary and color-obsessed view of the world! 🤮🤮🤮

Just to be clear, you are saying that treating people based upon say... the content of their character vs color of skin... is bad. We should not focus on people as individuals. Instead, only focus on them as a member of a group. Not assume people can strive, prosper, or dare I say... control their own destiny and be successful. Instead, we rob them of that and don't treat them equally.

The blatant bigotry of low expectations oozes out of your words. Please... do the world a favor and be better!

Actually, I'm not saying any of that.

What I am saying is that you're likely to fall into whatever economic class you're born into. If we don't acknowledge the way that our economic system was set up (who that benefited), do nothing to actually provide economic opportunity to people, & act like race doesn't exist, then nothing changes.

We will simply have to agree to disagree. I reject the premise you have laid out above. Social mobility in the US is far greater than many other countries. I am proof of it. The US doesn't have and has never embraced a caste type system that truly drives enduring inequality. I and my brother (sample size n=2) have gone from poor (borderline goverment assistance) as children to 1%ers in one generation. Granted, no one is going to confuse either of us with Elon or Bill Gates, but we both have accumulated $M's in our 30 years of working. We did it different ways (one no college... the other through college and grad school). Neither one of us had anything handed to us. No family connections, no family money, no favors called in... nothing. What we did have was a hunger for success, a willingness & ability to grind and the willpower to not give up when we faced setbacks.

I know it is easy to argue that the deck is stacked against the poor and that they can't succeed. While I don't agree with that framing, I will concede that my children will benefit (to an extent) from my connections, money and success. But that doesn't mean that anyone's future is set (for good or bad). It simply means that those families and individuals that truly want to change their position or "lot in life" might have to work a little harder, save a little more, embrace the long game and not focus on instant gratification. But they have the opportumity to change their economic position - and that opportunity means everything if they truly want it and are willing to work hard and grind.

I love it when people who have never been poor... tell poor folks what it is like and how hard it is. I especially love it when people tell me that the poor can't be successful and how there isn't the ability to escape poverty. I truly wonder if these people hear themselves and think about what they are saying.

In search of the righteous life... we all fall down
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 Rwanda - 67 finishers [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MI_Mumps wrote:
Lots of LR silliness in this thread.. Nobody is suggesting forcibly balancing participation numbers or treating people different or the same based on their skin color/ race or any other of the silly things being suggested. There are so many painful straw men being erected.

It is okay to notice and discuss things related to race. It is okay to wonder about ways to diversify/ grow the sport in all sorts of areas. It is also okay to not think about that or notice that when watching. The knee-jerk defensiveness and piling on I see in the thread is weird.

I noticed some diversity among athletes in Milwaukee, and feel like I see it increasing at my local level over the past decade. At the same time, I am comfortable acknowledging that there is plenty of growth potential.

As for the actual subject of the post, that race looks awesome and I hope they can grow it. Not every race needs huge numbers. I first learned about Rwanda and cycling from the book Land Of Second Chances. Looking forward to checking out the documentary.

I would argue statements like these... "the number 1 thing that struck me. Not how good the coverage was, not Frodo's win etc. It was how many white people were there. I could not see a single non white person either in the crowd, racing or commenting" or "the color-blindness chatter that immediately pops up when comments like are made is outdated" or even this "color blindness just protects the status quo... " are what prompted the "silliness" (in your words). I would argue that strawman arguments were NOT created, we just cut through the silly new-age wording to try and expose the flawed logic and fallacies underlying said words.

I think most (like me) would simply like to focus on being the best triathlete I can. And not have to worry that I am being a bad person for not caring what color the person toeing the line next to me is. But some seem to think being "colorblind" is bad or outdated.

In search of the righteous life... we all fall down
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 Rwanda - 67 finishers [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't do "Bucket Lists" but if I did,this race and a bike tour after might just be on it..

Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 Rwanda - 67 finishers [dcpinsonn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have some experience after 38 years of racing triathlon, and at least here in Canada literally being the only minority in the entire field for most of my life (it has barely changed 4 decades later, I just did my first tri in Kingston Ontario again after 38 years and the field looked almost identical).

I gained access to triathlon, because I joined the Armed Forces, and there were facilities for sport everywhere. I am a bit different though in that I am colourblind when it comes to role models, be they cyclists, swimmers, engineers, business people. I just get inspired by people who don't look like me, but like whom I would like to perform. Looking for role models who look like myself I always thought would just hold me back, but there is a strong reality that many want to do what they type do, not something else.

If you look at the Canadian 4x100 track team or our national mens and women's soccer team it looks completely different from any triathlon teams I have been on. Essentially track and soccer are the ultimate "acccess it if you have talent" sports (perhaps basketball too, but as I never played that sport, I won't comment). If we look at Canadian board rooms it does not look like the Olympic Gold medal winning women's soccer team, or the 4x100 track silver medalists from Tokyo 2021.

What I am pointing out is that access is the challenge, When access is high (track and soccer) and the metric is performance, the kids can rise to world stage.

Where access is low (corporate Canada) and you get selected upwards by being a clone of those who are incumbents (even if your performance is there), then you don't rise. One of my classmates is the Canadian Chief of Defence staff. No amount of my personal performance would get me to that top role. I did win the Canadian Armed Forces Championships, when my friend Pauli Kiuru from Finland (who looks nothing like me) was second to Kona. But I had access to sport through my Armed Services. Almost no one in my ethnic group had any parental support to squander money on sport because they were struggling to just keep their jobs as immigrants to a new country. The last thing they had time and money for was to shuttle kids around to sport. I only got to do organized sport when I walked onto high school soccer and track teams and from there, the military took care of my sports interests.

But access is key, and in general minorities have less access because of socio-economic scenarios. The parents just can't afford the time and money to put their kids in sport.

To this day, my dad thinks that I am stupid for wasting so much effort on sport and I should put it in my business life because I have more upward mobility options than his generation, but I don't have the same upward mobility as my Chief of Defence Staff friend Gen Wayne Eyre. It is just the way it is. So i created my own mobility starting my own tech startup.

The beauty about sport is once you enter, the clock does not care if you are black, yellow, white, brown....if you cut under the skin it is the same red blood, same veins, same arteries, same hearts, same brains....largely all originating not far from Rwanda a long long time ago and then migrating outwards. We are all the same and it is just humans categorizing their clan against the others, which in a way is a survival instinct of clans fighting for limited resources.

The question of how we make triathlon more accessible, I don't think gets solved inside triathlon, just like how we make golf more accessible does not happen inside golf. It happens in the rest of society when groups are uplifted on aggregate and also their areas of interest change. In my ethic group, in Canada, the extent of interest in sport, may be limited to watching the Toronto Blue Jays or jumping on an Olympic bandwagon every 4 years, but actually doing sport in adult life, is largely viewed as a waste of your focus on career and family life.

coming back to this thread the nice thing about a triathlon in Rwanda, is that suddenly a number of Rwandans can access a local race. They don't have to get on a plane to go to Dubai or Europe to do a triathlon. Yes, it is likely the more affuent Rwandans who do the local event, but just removing the need to take a flight makes it accessible for so many more. Let's give it some chances.
Quote Reply

Prev Next