Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Pro Expense Management [Death2TTbikes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ve been navigating the line of making pro triathlon work financially since about 2017 with a variety of setups if you’re ever interested in chatting. I’ve personally financed things at a loss for the first few years while working mostly full time hours with travel nursing as my career. (Keeping expenses super low we’re less of an option with deciding to start a family at the time). I eventually about broke even and am now generally positive and able to reduce working hours as a nurse in exchange for more training (and family) time.

I’ll say that while Dr Harrison was spot on with representing what a small business can do to support pro athletes, there are a lot of other ways to go about securing sponsorships too. And without necessarily providing direct or measurable benefit to the sponsor. But it’s also worth considering if sponsorship and maneuvering sponsor relationships is worth what you might get in return, compared to self funding and picking up hours in your line of work. Sponsorships can also have the somewhat unintended effect of giving anxiety to some athletes who then feel the pressure to perform or else will be letting others down in some way.

Basically it can be quite complex, but if you want to get a better idea of things feel free to shoot me a message.

Adam Feigh
Pianko Law, Speed Hound, Castelli, Sailfish, Base
Feighathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: Pro Expense Management [Feighathlon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
100% agree. Sometimes it is better to just work in your field than try to squeeze blood from a turnip sponsor like us. My wife did that for a while instead of seeking sponsors because the dollars per hour just work out to be more than what sponsors might provide in the bubble amateur / low level pro position.

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Re: Pro Expense Management [Death2TTbikes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fun racing with you so far. I'm sure we'll be spending more time on course together in the coming years.

One thing that has made traveling significantly less stressful and cheaper for me in the past year and a half is having a couple of very good travel credit cards. If you don't have one yet I highly recommend looking into it. I started with a United Card (makes sense as I'm Denver based) that allows me two free checked bags (including my bike) on every flight and had a sign up bonus that paid for about four round trip domestic flights. Between those two perks and free TSA Precheck, the card more than pays for itself. This past year, I did the math and snagged an AMEX Platinum card with a 150k sign up bonus. Once again, worth a handful of domestic round trip flights, free Clear for me and my wife, and lounge access in nearly every airport in the country. With the Plat, you really need to make sure you can use the perks to the point of offsetting the annual fee, but it's been amazing so far.

It takes a bit of planning and effort to take full advantage of this but I really think it's a big help in managing travel to six or more races a year.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: Pro Expense Management [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jonnyo wrote:

Same for me as a professional athlete in my past...i always work on the side other jobs to make it viable financially. unless you are winning the big A races or placing on the podium at those tier 1 events, it will be difficlute to make it your main source of income and be sustainable.

, i always had homestay or stayed with other athelte on a couch.

What Jonny is saying is he lived in luxury in a gated, golf course community with me for about 30 months of his life over a 5 year period in stretches that often exceeded his legally allowable time in the US which allowed me to harbor an illegal alien.

Watching Saved by the Bell every morning was his part time job as well as becoming BFF's with the cat (true story, anyone want to see the pics?) and never slept on the couch while there.

I will attest to him doing it for the love of the sport and not the financial part though.

Good times right there. hopefully his wife doesn't read that they were the best and happiest times of his life. Jonny have I taught you nothing? haha

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Pro Expense Management [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks BD! Really appreciate the advice. I will look into an airline specific card, probably American and see what I can workout mathematically.

Are you using anything rental car/hotel specific or just going with a homestay and hitching a ride? (I.e. for Augusta fly into ATL rent a car etc.)
Quote Reply
Re: Pro Expense Management [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that was funny! the life of a professional triathlete is a interesting one!!! enjoy it while it last!!

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply

Prev Next