Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Aero Tested: Silca Aero Socks [word_salad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
word_salad wrote:
Jwhitakr wrote:

However, I may have missed it somewhere in the explanation —- but how do you get these socks to work with ankle timing chips? Especially the bigger, bulkier ones that need to be turned in at the end of the race? I can’t imagine any time savings in the overall scheme of things if you have to remove the timing chip, put on socks and then reattach the timing chip in T1.

I have the same question haha. I actually have a pair of silca aero socks. I wear them for rides as they are pretty comfortable, but I brought them to my first tri this season and realized once I got into T1 that putting them on over the ankle chip would be really tricky/probably ruin the aero advantage so I just went sockless.

This is maybe the most important part of this whole discussion, haha.. How do you make a timing chip more aero?

Peak NA Cocktails for Recovery
WAE Clothing
Youtube
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Tested: Silca Aero Socks [csb146] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used the Silca Aero Socks for IMFL last year and just pulled the sock over the chip. Easy to get on and helps keep the chip secure. No idea on aero benefit, but assume it cant be worse than a "raw" chip?
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Tested: Silca Aero Socks [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jim@EROsports wrote:
timbasile wrote:
This whole discussion on turbulators, and explanation from Jim, remind me of the 2014 ST April Fool's page:

https://www.slowtwitch.com/Lifestyle/Hair_Improves_Performance_4255.html

We're going to take 10 guys and test first completely unshaven, then shave down to stubble, then completely shave in front with stubble from the apex back, and then completely shaven. Stubble from the apex back could be best, but it will depend a lot on each athlete's hair follicle density. Still, it will be fun to see the data and what we get. No chevron's though.

Are you really going to do that test or were you joking?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Jim. And appreciate the clarification.

I think the data you present is fine and quantifies the potential savings better than “absolute watts”. And like you said, watts can paint the wrong picture if used incorrectly. Personally, I think a few folks are just being lazy and cheap. They want spoon fed the information and don’t want to do a little math and reverse engineering. Nor spend their own money to get their own real world results.

I guess I enjoy this stuff too much and little bit of math never hurt anyone.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Tested: Silca Aero Socks [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
Thanks Jim. And appreciate the clarification.

I think the data you present is fine and quantifies the potential savings better than “absolute watts”. And like you said, watts can paint the wrong picture if used incorrectly. Personally, I think a few folks are just being lazy and cheap. They want spoon fed the information and don’t want to do a little math and reverse engineering. Nor spend their own money to get their own real world results.

I guess I enjoy this stuff too much and little bit of math never hurt anyone.

Its got nothing to do with lazy or cheap, it's the viewer experience. What is there to lose by providing this info? Nothing...what is there to gain? Well Im sure there is nothing people enjoy more than pausing a video, grabbing the calculator, looking at the graphics and going 'o.k, he saved 5.7 watts, which was a 2.36% saving, so grabbing my trusty calculator means he was doing 240 watts'...awesome
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Tested: Silca Aero Socks [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
so obviously take this with a huge grain of salt, but on Friday I decided to A/B test rule28 socks I got over the winter to regular socks (I had bombas brand socks with me). I did a 13 mile loop and both times the power was around 210 (there was a diff of one watt between the efforts). The regular socks were actually faster lol I think the wind was a little stronger on my trial with rule28 based on a visual inspection on mywindsock, so there's that and of course a better test involves multiple tests. But I found it funny nonetheless!
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Tested: Silca Aero Socks [longtrousers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
longtrousers wrote:
Jwhitakr wrote:
Very informative video and results speak for themselves.

However, I may have missed it somewhere in the explanation —- but how do you get these socks to work with ankle timing chips? Especially the bigger, bulkier ones that need to be turned in at the end of the race? I can’t imagine any time savings in the overall scheme of things if you have to remove the timing chip, put on socks and then reattach the timing chip in T1.

The socks are so flexible it is not a problem at all to put them over the chip in T1.

Great to know - thanks!

Doubt we will see any test results comparing with/without timing chip. I guess we must assume that the test results would be the same (or very close to the same) with an ankle timing chip underneath the sock.

Success does not consist of never making mistakes, but in never making the same mistake twice.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Tested: Silca Aero Socks [Jwhitakr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jwhitakr wrote:
longtrousers wrote:
Jwhitakr wrote:
Very informative video and results speak for themselves.

The socks are so flexible it is not a problem at all to put them over the chip in T1.

Great to know - thanks!

Doubt we will see any test results comparing with/without timing chip. I guess we must assume that the test results would be the same (or very close to the same) with an ankle timing chip underneath the sock.

This would be an easy test I’d simply do with one athlete and could be a YouTube Short. I’ll work on it in the next week or two.

To the person who asked about the leg shaving mega test…yes, we’re doing it. I’ll probably wait for the off season though.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Been looking at aero sleeves.

CompressSport; Slica etc etc
But stumbled on the Trimtex / Surpas Insane Calf LDT Sleeves ones.
150€ holy moly!!

Regards, Richard
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The leg shaving test is definitely one that will get lots of clicks. Especially if you incorporate some leg hair turbulators!
Quote Reply

Prev Next