Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Talk me into/out of aero calf sleeves vs aero socks
Quote | Reply
I'm looking for thoughts or opinions about aero calf guards vs an aero sock for 70.3 and up distance tri. I'm putting socks on in T1 regardless so saving time by putting a calf guard on before the swim wouldn't matter. I'm looking at rule 28 products so the general design of both are pretty similar. So give me your insight. My gut reaction is I just don't like the way calf guards look, but I could change my mind on that pretty easy.

*I guess the questions is: Is there a reason to use a calf guard vs just a aero sock if I'm putting socks on in T1 anyway.

Peak NA Cocktails for Recovery
WAE Clothing
Youtube
Last edited by: csb146: Jul 31, 23 16:43
Quote Reply
Re: Talk me into/out of aero calf guards vs aero socks [csb146] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They could be faster for you. But they also could be slower.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Talk me into/out of aero calf guards vs aero socks [csb146] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The shape of you calf is least aerodynamic at the top near your knee where it's shaped like a triangle, as opposed to nearer your ankly where it's more circular. The aerodynamics of both are greatly helped by keeping the airflow attached longer, and there's reason to believe the gain for a top-half aero sock would be greater than a bottom half aero sock, although I haven't seen any testing or research on it. There is little doubt that a well fitting aero calf sleeve will be faster than a well fitting aero sock.

*Well-fitting: It's entirely possible that wrinkles and fold in the socks can be such a detriment that you're better without them. I understand the "I'm putting socks on anyway" side, but putting aero socks on tautly takes more time than standard ankle socks. If I were racing to win I would use the calf sleeves every time.
Quote Reply
Re: Talk me into/out of aero calf sleeves vs aero socks [csb146] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's really hard to go wrong here, especially if starting from a non-shaved baseline. There is no reason to use one vs the other as long as it is properly designed. To be on the safe side, you need something 1-2 mm thick that trips the flow just a bit before the apex of your lower leg, which will be changing all along it. So whether you get something with a strip sewn into, or a sock with thicker embossed knitting in places, just make sure you can stretch and position things to be in the right place to trip the flow.
Quote Reply
Re: Talk me into/out of aero calf sleeves vs aero socks [csb146] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I usually wear tall aero socks, and I’d prefer to use the calf sleeves plus short socks at this point, assuming I found some calf sleeves I liked. The good aero socks need to be really tight and I find it very difficult to get them on when I’m wet and adrenaline-filled. I feel like could save at least 20-30s or more by switching to calf sleeves and shorter, more comfortable socks. It seems like a win/win to go with the sleeves for a wetsuit legal swim. Without a wetsuit, I think it’s a little trickier, but I since I haven’t tried calf sleeves, I could still imagine that to be the best option, but probably by a smaller margin.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The difference for me is calf guards stay up.
Have tried Rule28 and Nopinz Aero socks and they both end up round my ankles.
Quote Reply
Re: Talk me into/out of aero calf sleeves vs aero socks [m@tty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
m@tty wrote:

We experienced similar issues with the Rule 28’s in our recent testing. No such problem with the Silca’s and they tested the same for most riders, so our video, dropping today or tomorrow, just ended up a Silca aero sock video.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Re: Talk me into/out of aero calf sleeves vs aero socks [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Aero testing these is awesome because even though I just recommended sleeves + socks, I had already bought some Silca socks… they arrived today and I love them already. Given my only experience is the first time use comfort and ease of putting them on, it’s great to hear that they test well, too!

I suppose that means I should retract my recommendation for sleeves and say instead to get the Silca aero socks.
Quote Reply
Re: Talk me into/out of aero calf sleeves vs aero socks [mitchellgsides] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mitchellgsides wrote:
Aero testing these is awesome because even though I just recommended sleeves + socks, I had already bought some Silca socks… they arrived today and I love them already. Given my only experience is the first time use comfort and ease of putting them on, it’s great to hear that they test well, too!

I suppose that means I should retract my recommendation for sleeves and say instead to get the Silca aero socks.

Silca video will drop tomorrow, but then calf sleeves in two weeks. Calf sleeves are great, too, when they work for you. It's been interesting. I would say that calf sleeves, if they work for you, tend to be a bigger savings, which make sense; however, we've found a little more consistency with the Silca's. If your legs are unshaven, sleeves will have a greater impact (again, this is logical).

Lots of crazy, and pretty irresponsible, drag savings claims being thrown about right now. We'll be keeping everyone in check. The bigger the claim, the more data you're going to have to produce to prove it. We'll always test with multiple athletes and, when we believe it warrants it, we'll throw in a tunnel test as a check as well. Not everyone will be happy we're testing their products. We're not here to sell product, we're here to inform the consumer.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just thinking out of the box here for a non-wetsuit swim. What about well-placed K-Tape like the Danish pursuit team used at the Olympics? Surely on could wear that in the swim and not go afoul of the rules.

Quote Reply
Re: Talk me into/out of aero calf sleeves vs aero socks [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jim@EROsports wrote:
mitchellgsides wrote:

Silca video will drop tomorrow, but then calf sleeves in two weeks. Calf sleeves are great, too, when they work for you. It's been interesting. I would say that calf sleeves, if they work for you, tend to be a bigger savings, which make sense; however, we've found a little more consistency with the Silca's. If your legs are unshaven, sleeves will have a greater impact (again, this is logical).

Lots of crazy, and pretty irresponsible, drag savings claims being thrown about right now. We'll be keeping everyone in check. The bigger the claim, the more data you're going to have to produce to prove it. We'll always test with multiple athletes and, when we believe it warrants it, we'll throw in a tunnel test as a check as well. Not everyone will be happy we're testing their products. We're not here to sell product, we're here to inform the consumer.

Looking forward to your video!

Have you tested long sleeve, down to wrist?

For TTs and/or Aquabike?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go with the calf sleeves:

-more aero (go higher up the leg)

-faster in T1 (putting on shorter socks is faster than putting long aero socks on wet legs)

-fewer blisters (allows you to choose the running/biking socks you want)

-stay up (especially if it rains)

-more durable (the calf is a non-wear area...and you'll be running in socks in T1&T2)

-thermals (option to remove them in T2 before a hot run)

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jim@EROsports wrote:
m@tty wrote:

We experienced similar issues with the Rule 28’s in our recent testing. No such problem with the Silca’s and they tested the same for most riders, so our video, dropping today or tomorrow, just ended up a Silca aero sock video.

Have to say I also have some Silca Aero Socks and they do stay up and kind of make every other aero sock I have tried look not fit for purpose.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jim's video is up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DX6imW8o0eQ
Last edited by: Lagoon: Aug 2, 23 3:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duathlete here. I wear Velotoze calf sleeves. Do they make a difference? Dont know but its no biggie putting them on prerace and they stay up no problem while running.
Quote Reply
Re: Talk me into/out of aero calf sleeves vs aero socks [Lagoon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Now I have to wait 2 weeks to hear about calf sleeves... At this point I might just double up and run calf sleeves and aero socks 🤯, haha

Peak NA Cocktails for Recovery
WAE Clothing
Youtube
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
m@tty wrote:

Yeah, the quality of the Rule 28s were just terrible. One fitted ok, the other one looked it had been stretched beyond its limits and will not stay on my calf. I might try the Silca.
Quote Reply
Re: Talk me into/out of aero calf sleeves vs aero socks [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
Go with the calf sleeves:

-more aero (go higher up the leg)

-faster in T1 (putting on shorter socks is faster than putting long aero socks on wet legs)

-fewer blisters (allows you to choose the running/biking socks you want)

-stay up (especially if it rains)

-more durable (the calf is a non-wear area...and you'll be running in socks in T1&T2)

-thermals (option to remove them in T2 before a hot run)

Calf sleeves can be worn under a wetsuit so that's a big time saver.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: Talk me into/out of aero calf sleeves vs aero socks [mathematics] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mathematics wrote:
Just thinking out of the box here for a non-wetsuit swim. What about well-placed K-Tape like the Danish pursuit team used at the Olympics? Surely on could wear that in the swim and not go afoul of the rules.

Antony Costes is doing exactly that since a month or two I believe
(eg https://www.instagram.com/p/Cvr_H8qtblC/)

https://besse.info/
https://www.strava.com/athletes/2012033
Quote Reply