Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Boulder - Left Hand Canyon ?
Quote | Reply
Visiting Boulder next week and planning on renting a bike then riding Left Hand Canyon. Anyone have suggestions where I should start my ride and how long of a ride it is to Ward. How much cooler is the temp compared to Boulder?

thx
Quote Reply
Re: Boulder - Left Hand Canyon ? [Old lungs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As of today at 6pm, the temperature change was about 10-12 degrees between Ward and Boulder.

Start your ride at the base of the climb, or anywhere in town.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You could park at Greenbriar Inn (the start of Left Hand Canyon)...side of the road. Weekend is full of cars parked there. Although, you'll be starting uphill after the first half mile if that. Can't say how long it'll take you to get to Ward as I don't know your level of riding. What you could do is park above as mentioned, go just past the short switchback past Ward to Peak to Peak Highway...then take a right, and ride to St. Vrain Canyon, down to Lyons, then back Highway 36 towards Boulder but you'll get to Greenbriar Inn again about half way to Boulder. So a big "box" or loop I guess. It probably takes me about 1:25-1:30 from Greenbriar Inn to Ward on average tootling up there enjoying the ride. It's about another 20-25 min from Boulder depending on where you start if going from north Boulder.

If you want more climbing, when you go just past Ward, you can cross the street/Peak to Peak Hwy and up to Brainard Lake. Either way, bring a rain jacket in case a storm comes through. You can use the porta-toilet at Ward and stop at the store there for supplies if you like. Good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nothing to add, just that Lefthand is one of my favorite places to ride in the world. Enjoy!

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: Boulder - Left Hand Canyon ? [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the replies. Am so Looking forward to the ride. I have a ftp of 3.5 w/kg. Im hoping to get a 2-2.5 hr ride in total. Would you suggest I start closer to Boulder?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Old lungs wrote:
Thanks for the replies. Am so Looking forward to the ride. I have a ftp of 3.5 w/kg. Im hoping to get a 2-2.5 hr ride in total. Would you suggest I start closer to Boulder?

You would get an ok warmup if you start in Boulder, assuming you are staying in the downtown area.

Another option would be going from Ward up to Brainerd Lake. It only adds about 5 miles of climbing, but it takes you to just shy of tree line/10500 feet. I don’t know how entry fees work for bikes, so read up ahead of time. Also, bring arm warmed and lots of sunscreen.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can start at Tom Watson Park. It'll add some time (25-ish minutes) until you get to the base of lefthand.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You could start in the north of town and go up lee hill, there's a false summit but once you get to the top of Lee you get a fast downhill section with some steep switchbacks that connect to Lefthand (be careful not to descend to fast here). The final climb to ward is steep. If you had more time to ride, I'd recommend going all the way to Brainard Lake. It's another 1000+ feet of climbing but worth it.
Quote Reply
Re: Boulder - Left Hand Canyon ? [STRINATION] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you come back through Lyons, and back down to Boulder as suggested above, just be careful on Foothills Pkwy. The road is chewed up pretty good between Ute Highway and St. Vrain road. Best bet is to go Ute to 75th and to 63rd towards Boulder.

The biggest temp difference you will feel is on the descent when you are pedaling (at least not near as much as you are on the way up). Also, definitely stop by the general store in Ward. Not much else to be said.

IG: NCGregory8778
Quote Reply
Re: Boulder - Left Hand Canyon ? [Savage8778] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They are repaving in that section on Hwy 36 as you mentioned where they stripped/ground down the asphalt & it is expected to be completed July 1. You could likely just park your car at Wonderland Lake Trailhead on Lee Hill drive (the start of the climb for Boulder Peak Triathlon)...then bike east on Lee Hill Drive (unless you wanted to do Olde Stage to Left Hand Canyon then up to Ward). But yeah, either take Olde Stage UPHILL right away out of the parking lot (no warm up pretty much before a climb), or take Hwy 36 to Left Hand Canyon. It's only about 6-7 miles to Left Hand Canyon on Hwy 36. Flat to rolling course I'd say, coast up most of the hills--then again, depends if you're a flat lander rider or hill rider.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As for weather--just load a weather app for WARD and check it out. The start of Left Hand where Greenbriar is--actually has a name, as an unincorporated community--it is called ALTONA. Just use WARD & Boulder. Personally, I'd park at Wonderland Trailhead in Boulder, on Lee Hill Drive (it's on the north edge of town), in the Dakota Ridge subdivision. It's a paved lot. Pull your bike out, head east 3 blocks to Broadway, then left another 3 blocks & you're on Hwy 36 (super wide bike lane, you'll be fine until you get to Left Hand Canyon). You'll know you're there when you see the Greenbriar restaraunt as you're heading north on 36, about 6'ish miles into your ride. Please, just stay to the right of the white line, we don't want any bikers getting run over--respect the cars up & down the canyon. Bring a phone with a camera--it's beautiful up there with the creek flowing along side of the way up much of the ride.
Quote Reply
Re: Boulder - Left Hand Canyon ? [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Glad to hear it will be done JUL 1. I heard that date also, but coming from the east coast, I just assume that means AUG 15 :)

IG: NCGregory8778
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Old lungs wrote:

Lefthand from the base at Greenbrier until Ward is ~1:20 of continuous climbing at 2.6w/kg (for me). Depending on how hard you're riding, the climb + descent is likely about 2 hours from the base.

Parking in North Boulder adds ~5 miles of rolling riding on 36.
Parking at Tom Watson adds about 7 miles of slight steady uphill riding
Parking at Lefthand Trailhead on Neva Road adds 3 miles on rolling riding on 36.

If you park at Fourmile Creek Trailhead on Lee Hill (as mentioned by Rocky) - let me know. I live nearby and I'd love to watch someone not used to altitude get walloped heading over Lee Hill / Olde Stage with no warm up!

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply
Re: Boulder - Left Hand Canyon ? [xtrpickels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lol

Thanks for the replies. It’s so helpful and this is why I love this forum. I expect to be gasping like a fish on land but this will def be a easier effort ride for me. After all I’m going to finish first to the top of this solo effort no matter what. 😉
Quote Reply
Re: Boulder - Left Hand Canyon ? [xtrpickels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Last 2 question…if I ride from north Boulder on 36, how are the cars. I plan on riding Thursday am around 8 or 830 am
And
How much more time to get to brainard lake?
Last edited by: Old lungs: Jun 29, 23 14:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FWIW I rode from central Boulder today, went to Left Hand via Old Stage, started getting dumped on, so just took Lee Hill Rd back. The whole ride was 85min, Olde Stage was very nice in terms of traffic and views, and the steep sucky part was probably ~5min. My easiest gear was 36x30, it was fine. I’ve never ridden 36 but I have driven it … no way would I ever choose it over Olde Stage.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Last edited by: ericlambi: Jul 1, 23 18:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ride Hwy 36 almost 99% of the time I ride. It's never been a issue for me. It's as wide as a full car lane in most spots. Stick to the right and avoid any altercations with cars or other cyclists. One place I'd look left over my shoulder is the peel off road called Neva Rd. a few miles out of town (north) on Hwy 36. Some cars go whipping off to the right down that road when you're intending to go straight. For safety--signal to go straight with an arm motion but look behind you also so you're not tagged by a bumper...Aside from that--smooth sailing.
Quote Reply