Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Porto vs Lisbon for 1 week
Quote | Reply
Hi there,

Just wondering if anyone has strong opinions on these two cities. Our family is thinking about going to Portugal for roughly a week in September. It will be me, with tired legs, so not really looking to do anything too strenuous, my wife and a university aged offspring. I'm thinking some wine, old things, a beach day, and maybe one or two hikes along the coast.

If you could only visit one of Porto or Lisbon which would you choose and why?

Thanks,
Quote Reply
Re: Porto vs Lisbon for 1 week [Tri Bread] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did the Lisbon Half back in 2018 & my wife & I did both. It's super doable. We started with a couple days in Porto and then spent the rest of our time in Lisbon. Porto is amazing but you really only need 2-3 days to walk around, eat, and drink wine. Then you can spend a good chunk of time in Lisbon, with everything a big city has to offer. The most popular beaches are south so idk how that factors in.

If I had to pick one for a week it'd be Lisbon because there's more to do with the amount of time that you have. But I would probably say I enjoyed our time in Porto more. Both were great but the vibe in Porto was perfect. Just spent a few days eating/drinking.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's less than 200 miles between the two.

If it were me, for a week, I'd do 2 days in Lisbon. On day 3, head north, stopping in Penich and Obidos to Coimbra and spend the night there. Then drive up to Porto for days 4-5. Day 6, drive back to Lisbon, stopping in Sintra and Cascais. If you have one more day, more Lisbon.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m an expat who lives in Cascais outside Lisbon. Whether you go to Lisbon, Porto or both I’d plan a few day trips outside of the city. Lisbon day trips: Sintra - castles/palaces; Cascais and beaches,, obidos, Coimbra, Nazaré. From Porto, I would head towards the Duoro valley - September is prime wine season and Port wine is much more than the Tawney aged stuff, Braga is also really nice.

For Lisbon, be prepared for the hills if you are walking on tired legs ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Been to Both, impressed both times.

First was a work trip where I flew via Porto then spent the majority of my time north of Porto in the Esposende, Barcelos, Braga area.

Second was this past May for Tran-Portugal Mountain bike race where we rode the country from north to south on dirt roads and trails. The Douro valley is very pretty and a worthwhile day trip from Porto.

Between the two, I prefer Lisbon. Great access to Nazare, Sintra, Cascais as mentioned and they're all terrific. Plus, Lisbon itself has so much going on that you can easily fill a week.

Regardless, you can't go wrong. Portugal is a gem of a country. I've never been shown as much hospitality from strangers as when we had a catastrophic bike failure after sunset 40km from our hotel.

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lisbon, primarily, more to do. But the train between Lisbon and Porto is not long. Do both! 2/3 Lisbon,1/3 Porto. Others have good suggestions. Don't miss Sinatra.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did a bike tour in Portugal last year. Spent 2 days in Lisbon on the front end, 1 day in Porto, and 1.5 days in Lisbon on the back end. Concur with everyone that you can do both and it would be fun to do both. We enjoyed port tasting and a river cruise in Porto and mainly wandering around looking at stuff in Lisbon. Both towns were great and Portugal in general was wonderful.
Quote Reply
Re: Porto vs Lisbon for 1 week [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You know your ways around ;)

I would add nazaré, sao martinho do porto, if you are into sightseeing and are mobile.

=====================================
S�rgio Marques
When it hurts is when it feels good ;-)
Sergio-Marques.com
Quote Reply
Re: Porto vs Lisbon for 1 week [giorgitd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you mean Sintra?

Both cities are on steep hills so to get anywhere with 'tired legs' can be tough.

I agree lisbon 4 days and fly out of porto with pena palace on the way. Otherwise lisbon all week is fine with all the stuff to do, day trips to beaches and palace and the fx factory, etc

And its good to watch anthony bourdain lisbon ahead if you like food....episode is on youtube i think (no reservations?). The things he mentions are still normal prices somehow. That raisen liquor is better than expected

giorgitd wrote:
Lisbon, primarily, more to do. But the train between Lisbon and Porto is not long. Do both! 2/3 Lisbon,1/3 Porto. Others have good suggestions. Don't miss Sinatra.
Last edited by: Lacticturkey: Jun 24, 23 2:42
Quote Reply
Re: Porto vs Lisbon for 1 week [Lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, Sintra...I didn't notice the silent 'autocorrect'. But there is a bus that gets you at least partially up the hill. Maybe not do Sintra the day after the race, but after a rest day or two. Good pint on the hills, though!
Quote Reply
Re: Porto vs Lisbon for 1 week [giorgitd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I've passed them up the ladder to the decision maker!

Cheers,
Quote Reply
Re: Porto vs Lisbon for 1 week [sergio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sergio wrote:
You know your ways around ;)

I would add nazaré, sao martinho do porto, if you are into sightseeing and are mobile.

Sao Martinho do porto was my favorite of the beach towns we stayed in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry for bringing up an old post. But, just saw it and had to respond. My rec - LISBON!!. Been to both in past few two years. Lisbon is more spectacular. Eat at O Trigueirinho and O Velho Eurico (here I would recommend anything... I really love the Migas and the Chicken). Eat pasteis de belem and pasteis de nata. Go to Alfama, Sintra, Belem. See a fado. Drink ginjinha.

Highly recommend Sandemans walking tour in any city. It's about 2.5-3 hours and is free. You tip if you like the service (YOU WILL). Most people tip around 15 euros per person. You will see a lot of the city and learn a lot of history as well as where to eat, what tourist traps to avoid, etc... We had Antonio in English. Great guide.

See the old Moorish fort in Sintra as well as all the other sites there as well. Skip the fort in Lisbon itself. Their Dictator Salazar had most of it built in the early 1900s to look old and bring tourists.

If you need casual (formal or informal work shoes), the quality is better than the states and waaaay cheaper....

Good Luck!!!

If you do go to Porto instead. (oporto to them...), travel on the Duoro river and drink Port wine. Good city, but imo not in the same league...

Running is the best source of fiber that I know of...
Quote Reply
Re: Porto vs Lisbon for 1 week [TriChris14] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hotel Lis Baixa is nice and in a great location. Def stay down in that area...

Running is the best source of fiber that I know of...
Quote Reply
Re: Porto vs Lisbon for 1 week [TriChris14] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Chris,

Thanks for all the great recommendations. Will def go on that walking tour and try out the restaurants.
Unfortunately I will not be getting to Sintra but my wife and daughter are planning on going.

Cheers
Quote Reply