Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Whistler GrandFondo - Newbie Questions
Quote | Reply
I am thinking of doing the Whistler Grand Fondo.
I’ve done lots of triathlon’s but never a cycling event.

What should I expect?
Anything different for a cycling only event?
I have a road bike with clip aero bars, that ok?
Any advice for training for those who have done the event?
Do people ride in packs and draft?
Quote Reply
Re: Whistler GrandFondo - Newbie Questions [kings0408] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

What should I expect?

An amazing ride on one of the most scenic roads in North America along with 5000 other riders! There is A LOT pf climbing with a net elevation gain of about 3000 ft and a Total amount of climbing that I believe is more than double that number!

Anything different for a cycling only event?

A lot IS different than a triathlon and a triathlon bike leg - you will find some of those differences in my answers to your next questions.

I have a road bike with clip aero bars, that ok?

My suggestion would be to take the clip-ons off and ride your road bike as a road bike. In real bike racing and Gran Fondo races/events drafting is allowed, so there will be groups that form, and you can ride faster in a group. I would also suggest and encourage you to do some group riding over the summer and get more familiar and comfortable with that. There may be a local Road Cycling Club in your area - sign up with them. The bigger and better ones often have a "Learn to Ride" program that you will need to go through before you head out on a Group ride.

Any advice for training for those who have done the event?

I have never actually done the race/event, but I have ridden that road a number of times myself and been the Co-Announcer of the RBC Gran Fondo Whistler for a number of years before the pandemic so I know it well. As noted, get ready for lots of climbing. The Sea to Sky Hwy from Vancouver to Squamish, goes up and down relentlessly and then it's all uphill for the final 40+km from sea level in Squamish to the finish in Whistler.

Do people ride in packs and draft?

See previous answers but the quick answer here is "Yes" - but there are some things you should know about this, and some of the etiquette as well. Gran Fondos are a bit like Marathons in running - the front 20% - 25% are there for the performance aspect - to them it really is a "race" - for most of the other 80% with all due respect they are there to finish and have a great time - so enjoy the ride, the scenery and the friends you make along the way! :-)

I was hoping to be back there this year Announcing again, but I had conflict with another significant Event and had to make a tough choice.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply