Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Gearing for Alpe d'Huez? [suissetrigirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you have access to Zwift or RGT? You could pre ride the climb and verify your gearing will work, even before you get the new derailleur and cassette. Adjusting the difficulty % is essentially the same as changing the gear ratio on your bike. If you are riding 39-28 at 100% difficulty and adjust to 50% difficulty it will be the same as riding a 39-56, this is an extreme example but it will tell you how you will fare on the climb.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
suissetrigirl wrote:
I've *stupidly* signed up for the long distance Alpe d'Huez next month and starting to panic. I currently run 11-28 with compact chain ring but think I should swap out the cassette (and rear mech) if I have any hopes of finishing this race. Is 11-34 what I should switch to? I'm comfortable climbing with the 28 up to around a 9% grade. Beyond that, I'm definitely mashing and reckon I'll be unlikely to start the run with anything beyond a shuffle.
I'd equally welcome any other nuggets of advice for this race!

Hello,

In my opinion If you are not pedaling on the descents keeping the compact chain ring (50/34) is totally worth it. I don't think 11-34 is a must, 11-30 is good, 11-32 your legs will appreciate it.

Good luck on the race and let us know how it was :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No one in the history of mankind has ever complained about having gearing that was too low.

Tad

It took awhile, but I finally discovered that its not the destination that's important, but rather the journey.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used a 50/34 up front and an 11/28 at the back on the hired bike I rode for this tri. I was just under 70kg and was the leanest I've been as an adult. The grearing was fine for the gradients, there's nothing super steep, but towards the end on Alpe D'Huez I would have liked another gear or two when my lack of fitness started to really show and I was struggling at 50rpm. To put it into context I didn't have anywhere near the training/fitness I would have liked for this one and I live in a flat area with no long or steep climbs. It was nine years ago and my "hill" training was mainly turbo based, in the days before Zwift 😂. Those high resistance/low cadence turbo training sets paid off at the top of the third mountain of the day. If you're fit and have put in the work you might be fine with a 34/28 but there's nothing wrong with having extra gears incase you need them on the day or prefer them when fatigue kicks in.

It's an amazing race. You'll love it. Definitely a big bucket list event.
Last edited by: Ian A: Jun 25, 23 9:11
Quote Reply
Re: Gearing for Alpe d'Huez? [TMT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TMT wrote:
No one in the history of mankind has ever complained about having gearing that was too low.

On steep hills true.

On flats I complain all the time I’m spinning our my standard gearing on my tt bike given my slower preferred cadence
Quote Reply
Re: Gearing for Alpe d'Huez? [SteveMc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HI. probably requires another posted question in the forum but i saw there was already an alpe de huez thread. Anyway hello. I just signed up for the long distance 2024 race and wanted advice as to how best prep for it. does it require trail running shoes? and as far as bike anyone have any recommendations as to what specs to look for (i currently have a blue andaz carbon road bike with climbing gear and rim brakes) im very short - 5 ft - so some brands dont make enough of a selection for my size. I am looking to upgrade to something w disc brakes. Also would you know where in the Americas I could possibly train for those switch backs and descents? how much time would it take to train the typical 6 days a week or would it require more? maybe im also over thinking this but want to go in safe and prepared. The hilliest race ive done is escape from alcatraz and boulder IM at altitude. my times werent great on the bike courses.
Quote Reply

Prev Next