Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Swimming Chicago 1st 3wks July
Quote | Reply
Hi there
I'm going to be in Chicago the 1st 3 weekends of July and am wondering if there are any groups that swim close to downtown? I was going to aim to do 3-4km but happy to just fit in. I'm experienced ocean swimming but essentially none on cold/ lake/ Chicago conditions so want to check re safety etc first. Are there any morning groups? Or is it safe on your own at ohio St? Happy to try hang on with groups faster than me, or just enjoy the swim with anyone slower. My swimming is usually reasonably strong but have struggled to come back after sinus surgery 6 month ago and am keen to just get a few kms under my belt. Thanks!!
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming Chicago 1st 3wks July [pnoble] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Swimming from Ohio street beach is super safe on your own. They have buoys for certain distances and you are never far from the wall where the bike/run path is. But there are usually people there from what I have experienced. Cannot really help with any pool situation though.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming Chicago 1st 3wks July [pnoble] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The only group I know of for Ohio street beach is owschicago.com (they usually do some clinics and duathlons) but plenty of people there on weekends already. I was just there this AM (I usually start mid/end of May and out most weekends). It's been a while since I've gone on weekdays, but it's pretty busy as the lake front trail runs parallel to the swim area.

Some points:

1) Mornings are usually the best as winds are typically calmer and no/less boaters (not an issue if you don't mind the chops).
2) Pay attention to weather reports for small craft advisories. Weather.com is usually where I check. The lake can turn on a dime and be dangerous with risk of rip currents. Same as temp swings. July water temps are usually pretty comfortably, upper 60s to low 70s but can get pretty warm at times. It was ~64F today, I doubt it will drop below low 60s until October. I check this (https://forecast.weather.gov/...uct=omr&site=lot) and go by "Chicago shore."
3) Check the park district website as the update it with bacterial count, water temp and swim conditions. However, it is only reported during "open hours," which is 11AM-7PM. All that means is they have life guards during that time and outside of that you are swimming at your on risk. https://www.chicagoparkdistrict.com/...es/ohio-street-beach
4) There are 2 buoys. It's a 1/4 mile to first and 1/2 to second.
5) Except for small craft advisories, T-storms, etc. It's super safe out there. Water levels are pretty low right now and you can stand in parts of it. Oh and watch out for broken glass in beach area. Unfortunately, there are some partiers overnight. Most of us are good about cleaning up after them.
6) Decent amount of lockers out there but get filled up during peak times.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Feel free to join me, I try to go either Sat or Sun around 6-7:30 AM but I'm MOP/BOP. My training partner is out there with me most of the time and she is front MOP. You'll see everything out there. Today there was a gal doggy paddling in wetsuit and a dude with wetsuit on backwards.
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming Chicago 1st 3wks July [hubcaps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome thanks both of you for your replies. That all sounds great I'll do my best to get down there regularly. Thanks!
Quote Reply