Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Garmin 935 records less yards than my old Garmin 920XT
Quote | Reply
I loved and used my Garmin 920XT triathlon watch from 2016 to 2022. After that watch finally stopped working, I got the Garmin 935 watch. I notice it records less yards for my open water swims. Where it used to be 425 yards to get across a neighborhood mountain pond consistently, my new watch records around 367-380 yards. I've noticed this for other open water places we swim with my new watch. Not that it matters a ton as it still takes the same amount of of time to get form point A to B in my open water swim venues. The setting is yards, not meters. Anyone else notice this from going to different garmin watches? Wondering if I am missing a setting or something.

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 935 records less yards than my old Garmin 920XT [Triingtotrain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think Garmin changed gps chip on the series after 920. I have a 945 and when I use both watches at the same time I also get quite some differences where the 920 always shows more (meters)
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 935 records less yards than my old Garmin 920XT [Swutch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Swutch wrote:
I think Garmin changed gps chip on the series after 920. I have a 945 and when I use both watches at the same time I also get quite some differences where the 920 always shows more (meters)

OK thanks for verifying this.

My husband bought two of the 935s in 2020 with a very good discount. I didn't use mine until December 2022 (kept it in the box). My Garmin 920 crapped out before leaving for Indian Wells 70.3 in early December. I noticed the 935 recorded a bit less for the swim but didn't think much of it. It works fine for the run and bike. Even fatbiking in the winter here. So my first open water swim in late May I was at first thinking, good lord, did I really slow down that much. But I didn't. It's just the watch recording less.

Last edited by: Triingtotrain: Jun 18, 23 13:09
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 935 records less yards than my old Garmin 920XT [Swutch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Swutch wrote:

I knew I was faster than my old 920 told me :)
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 935 records less yards than my old Garmin 920XT [Triingtotrain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Triingtotrain wrote:
I loved and used my Garmin 920XT triathlon watch from 2016 to 2022. After that watch finally stopped working, I got the Garmin 935 watch. I notice it records less yards for my open water swims. Where it used to be 425 yards to get across a neighborhood mountain pond consistently, my new watch records around 367-380 yards. I've noticed this for other open water places we swim with my new watch. Not that it matters a ton as it still takes the same amount of of time to get form point A to B in my open water swim venues. The setting is yards, not meters. Anyone else notice this from going to different garmin watches? Wondering if I am missing a setting or something.

I would measure the mountain pond with google maps and compare it to the gps data; easiest way to know who's right
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 935 records less yards than my old Garmin 920XT [jollyroger88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jollyroger88 wrote:
Triingtotrain wrote:

I would measure the mountain pond with google maps and compare it to the gps data; easiest way to know who's right

Playing around on googlemaps I'm not sure how to do this. I was thinking of having my husband paddleboard from point A to point B and put his garmin on the run mode and see what he gets. Again, it's not a big deal. I know how long it takes me to swim from certain places and if it's taking me longer, I'm swimming more crooked and/or slower :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Here's the pond yesterday, swimming with a friend (me on the left).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Triingtotrain wrote:
jollyroger88 wrote:
Triingtotrain wrote:

Playing around on googlemaps I'm not sure how to do this. I was thinking of having my husband paddleboard from point A to point B and put his garmin on the run mode and see what he gets. Again, it's not a big deal. I know how long it takes me to swim from certain places and if it's taking me longer, I'm swimming more crooked and/or slower :-)

open google maps
right click on the start point
select (left click) measure distance
left click on the arrival point

the paddleboard option with gps on running (or cycling) mode sounds ok too
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 935 records less yards than my old Garmin 920XT [jollyroger88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jollyroger88 wrote:
Triingtotrain wrote:
jollyroger88 wrote:
Triingtotrain wrote:

open google maps
right click on the start point
select (left click) measure distance
left click on the arrival point

the paddleboard option with gps on running (or cycling) mode sounds ok too

Ha! Awesome, thanks for that. It measured 421 meters/460 yards. So my old garmin wasn't recording enough either. OK well that's interesting. And good to know!! I should do the same for the CR river swim I did a week ago where I'm sure it was over 1.2 miles.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done a few testing in the past, and found that 735's and 935's are pretty accurate with OWS metrics. Besides, my 735 died last saturday, and now I'm using a 920 I bought used some time ago from a team mate, to keep as back up solution in case of a failure of the 735. Thursday I'm going OWS and verify how it tests in comparison to the 735 (that I'm planning to replace with an Instinct2, eventually)
Last edited by: jollyroger88: Jun 20, 23 1:32
Quote Reply