Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Travelling with a Bike Box
Quote | Reply
Heading out to IM CDA in a few days and it will be my first time flying with the bike. Wondering if folks who fly with bike boxes have any tips/tricks/suggestions to share about the logistical process. Were there ever any challenges or problems you encountered that you weren't expecting? I'm not a very experienced traveler so just trying to figure out if there's anything I'm missing before I leave. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Travelling with a Bike Box [STRINATION] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Only tip from me is if you are renting a hire car at your destination make 100% certain you get a hatchback. My experience is that I can fit x2 bike boxes in any hatchback, even the smallest Japanese models.

If you are relying on taxis, book it in advance and specify very strongly, must be a hatchback, no sedans.

But getting just one bikebox in any sedan is ridiculously hard - I have had BMW 5 series for some years, I can just squeeze one bike box in, definitely not two- it's so bad I have to catch a taxi to get me plus two bikes to the airport.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cgrubb wrote:
Only tip from me is if you are renting a hire car at your destination make 100% certain you get a hatchback. My experience is that I can fit x2 bike boxes in any hatchback, even the smallest Japanese models.

If you are relying on taxis, book it in advance and specify very strongly, must be a hatchback, no sedans.

But getting just one bikebox in any sedan is ridiculously hard - I have had BMW 5 series for some years, I can just squeeze one bike box in, definitely not two- it's so bad I have to catch a taxi to get me plus two bikes to the airport.

I have never travelled to CDA but travelled with my bike several times in different continents.

What they said about renting cars. Get a hatchback or an SUV but keep in mind not all SUVs are created equal. And small SUVs and SUVs with sporty back are getting very popular.

If using taxi, booking is preferable so you can make sure you get the correct type of car in advance. However, the worse case is simply having to wait more for a utility vehicle or a large one.

If relying on public transport, it all depends a lot on the mode of transport you'll be using so you might want to check that. Usually packed bike boxes are ok everywhere but you never know.. also some trains might not have a lot of space for big luggage which can be a bit uncomfortable or you might have to leave your luggage somewhere you can't watch from your seat. Also, you'll need to use lifts or be ready to lift tour bike box over stairs.

Don't pack your bike luggage too heavy or you'll make travel to from airport more uncomfortable. Some airlines have weight limits for bike luggage, you'll need to make sure to stay below that. They don't always check it though. Sometimes they might ask you how much it weights because it doesn't fit on their scale.

At the airport they'll ask you if you've deinflated tubes and if you have any co2 (some airlines allow them some don't).
At the airport, after check in, you'll often have to carry your bike to the oversize luggage area. At your destination, it may come with your luggage or you might have to go to the oversize luggage delivery area.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you do end up w/a sedan in all but one car I've rented over the last 10 years I've been able to lay the back seats down. Turn the case sideways and slide it in.

If you have a case where the top lid comes off you can remove that then put the lower case inside it, then slide (wrestle) the whole thing into a backseat of a sedan.

I'll also say after you pack your case lay it on it's side, then rotate it upside down. Your case is going to get turned in all sorts of directions by TSA, baggage handlers etc. You want to make sure things are locked in place with straps, extra towels, your wetsuit etc.

Have a great race

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Take the RD off. Use some kind padding to protect the frame.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+1 for the car advice

Plan extra time at the airport, oversized items are often delivered in a dedicated area and tend to come last.

Also, this is a low probability/"worst case" but just prepare for a scenario where your bike box is delayed and, if possible, don't pack all the other key race items (helmet, shoes, wetsuit, etc.) so if the bike doesn't make it in time you can rent/borrow a bike which is enough of a struggle to not add scrambling to find everything else. I've had my bike delayed several times, thankfully never for a race though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pipe wrap all the tubes, just in case it isn't reassembled to your liking. Get an Apple AirTag, then you truly know where the bike is. Get to the airport quite early so often you can stand there while TSA inspects. This has worked well for me. And I've done a convertible rental car in Kona to get the bike case in. Have fun!

Kiwami Racing Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I zip tie the chain to the big ring which helps to protect the teeth of the chainring. Also practice assembling and disassembling without your nice shop tools and work stand. Use the stuff you are actually bringing with you. Take lots of pictures. Make lots of notes.
Quote Reply
Re: Travelling with a Bike Box [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks the help everyone! I have a Thule hard shell; would you still recommend removing the RD with this case?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes. It’s the most common thing that gets damaged in transit. And it’s not necessarily from something externally, it can be from something inside the box that pushes on the rd and bends the hanger. The bike can also shift inside the box and the rd couldn’t get wedged into the wrong place and the hanger could get bent.

The RD is so easy to take off and put on, I wouldn’t take the chance.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Travelling with a Bike Box [GaryGeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GaryGeiger wrote:
Pipe wrap all the tubes, just in case it isn't reassembled to your liking. Get an Apple AirTag, then you truly know where the bike is. Get to the airport quite early so often you can stand there while TSA inspects. This has worked well for me. And I've done a convertible rental car in Kona to get the bike case in. Have fun!

The convertible car rental is a smart idea I haven’t considered, but will from now on!

Quote | Reply
STRINATION wrote:
Thanks the help everyone! I have a Thule hard shell; would you still recommend removing the RD with this case?
stevej wrote:
Yes. It’s the most common thing that gets damaged in transit. And it’s not necessarily from something externally, it can be from something inside the box that pushes on the rd and bends the hanger. The bike can also shift inside the box and the rd couldn’t get wedged into the wrong place and the hanger could get bent.

Yes, definitely remove RD. So easy to do & a major crisis if it's broken.

I wrap my RD in bubblewrap and strap it to the rear axle spacer.
Quote Reply
Re: Travelling with a Bike Box [Mell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mell wrote:
STRINATION wrote:

stevej wrote:

Yes, definitely remove RD. So easy to do & a major crisis if it's broken.

I wrap my RD in bubblewrap and strap it to the rear axle spacer.

Also take an extra derailleur hanger......

Kiwami Racing Team
Quote Reply
Re: Travelling with a Bike Box [IKnowEverything] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IKnowEverything wrote:
GaryGeiger wrote:

The convertible car rental is a smart idea I haven’t considered, but will from now on!

Thanks! It was quite nice to have a convertible in Kona.....

Kiwami Racing Team
Quote Reply