Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Fastest ("budget") trisuits at 40kph?
Quote | Reply
Hi all,

in 2 months time I'll try to average close to 38-39kph at my 2nd 70.3. I've got a full budget set up, but my position has become quite okay, even though it's a modified road bike.

It's time to buy a higher quality aero trisuit, with sleeves. My old one was around 50 euro, sleeveless and a bit loose fitting..

I remember seeing somewhere that some trisuits are optimized for speeds around 40 kph. I reckon that's the type of trisuit I need. I read the forum regularly and was hoping someone has some knowledge / experience with those trisuits that test well at around 40kph and are in the 100-150 bucks region. I've seen some trisuits discounted, so I believe I'm able to get something of good quality for the price. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, I'm 1,96cm (6'5) and weigh about 87kg (191lbs). So any experiences with trisuits that fit my build are also welcome. Better yet, any advice is welcome.

Thanks in advance!
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest ("budget") trisuits at 40kph? [RobertS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RobertS wrote:
Hi all,

in 2 months time I'll try to average close to 38-39kph at my 2nd 70.3. I've got a full budget set up, but my position has become quite okay, even though it's a modified road bike.

It's time to buy a higher quality aero trisuit, with sleeves. My old one was around 50 euro, sleeveless and a bit loose fitting..

I remember seeing somewhere that some trisuits are optimized for speeds around 40 kph. I reckon that's the type of trisuit I need. I read the forum regularly and was hoping someone has some knowledge / experience with those trisuits that test well at around 40kph and are in the 100-150 bucks region. I've seen some trisuits discounted, so I believe I'm able to get something of good quality for the price. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, I'm 1,96cm (6'5) and weigh about 87kg (191lbs). So any experiences with trisuits that fit my build are also welcome. Better yet, any advice is welcome.

Thanks in advance!

Brian Stover can comment better on this, but I was an observer at one of his aero test. There was a big dude, like you, and it seemed nothing made a difference on him. Brian made him try to suit from Position one, and he saw a really good bump. I believe it is $225.

One rider does not define if a suit is fast or not, but worth looking into.
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest ("budget") trisuits at 40kph? [RobertS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The absolute most important thing is going to be the fit. The theoretical fastest kit isn't going to be very good if it's wrinkly, bunched up, baggy, or uncomfortable. Generally it's best to get the tightest that you can squeeze into. Also, do you need pockets? There's an aero penalty for those but I'd say it's worth it.

I'm not convinced that there are actual watt savings for speed-specific non-custom skinsuits. Fluctuations in temperature, humidity, and barometric pressure can swing the reynolds number wildly. Yes, this cancels out a little bit because these variables also affect speed directly, but the point is that optimizing for a specifc speed. I'd love to do some real aero testing on an aero-sleeved skinsuit that has post-swim wrinkles on the arm v. the same skinsuit sleeveless.

Here's a test someone did with a small sample size, there is some difference but also huge variability. https://silverstonesportshub.co.uk/2022/08/11/skinsuits/
Quote Reply