Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Shimano cassettes work with axs
Quote | Reply
Just an FYI, I just did a build with rival axs 2x, KMC x12 chain and shimano cassettes

It all works perfect !, I hesitated axs because not wanting to switch free hubs but you dont have to.

I will be posting a video to youtube soon.
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano cassettes work with axs [surfNJmatt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good to know. I have a bike with 11 speee Ultegra di2 and one with AXS Force. Only pit wheels I have are some Fulcrums with a shimano freehub, was hoping to put a 12 speed cassette on for certain events. Which range cassette did you use?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done the same on my road and tri bikes been riding them no dramas for over a year
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
(new) KMC 12s chain is theoretically compatible with 12s SRAM AXS and 12s Shimano. Similarly with 12s ROTOR chainrings for 12s Shimano. So I'm no surprised, that your combo works. Happy for you!

The question I'd have is about the performance. Is there a way / source to claim the potential frictional losses and/or faster wear and/or sub-optimal gear change? I'd love to install a gold chain on a 12s Shimano drivetrain!
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano cassettes work with axs [Michal_CH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Michal_CH wrote:
(new) KMC 12s chain is theoretically compatible with 12s SRAM AXS and 12s Shimano. Similarly with 12s ROTOR chainrings for 12s Shimano. So I'm no surprised, that your combo works. Happy for you!

The question I'd have is about the performance. Is there a way / source to claim the potential frictional losses and/or faster wear and/or sub-optimal gear change? I'd love to install a gold chain on a 12s Shimano drivetrain!
Get a Gold YBN chain.
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano cassettes work with axs [m@tty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
m@tty wrote:
Get a Gold YBN chain.

Is it any better than the KMC gold 12-speed chain?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Michal_CH wrote:

The only thing that would cause any loss would be the axs jockey wheels which worked fine, but replaced mine anyway with kogol jockey wheels so they are buttery smooth
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sram AXS chainrings/cassette/jockey wheels have different chain pocket(where the rollers go into) dimensions than Shimano. So while it may "work".....your creating wear and inefficiencies by having it mismatched.
Last edited by: MXGimp: Jun 16, 23 16:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
surfNJmatt wrote:

The only thing that would cause any loss would be the axs jockey wheels which worked fine, but replaced mine anyway with kogol jockey wheels so they are buttery smooth

Good piece of advice, thank you
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano cassettes work with axs [MXGimp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But if you use a Shimano cassette, change out the jockey wheels, use something like a rotor chainring and don’t use a flattop chain you wouldn’t have the problem with the chain pocket right?
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano cassettes work with axs [laseranimal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
laseranimal wrote:
But if you use a Shimano cassette, change out the jockey wheels, use something like a rotor chainring and don’t use a flattop chain you wouldn’t have the problem with the chain pocket right?

Yes but that essentially results in a mixed Shimano drivetrain.
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano cassettes work with axs [Bryan!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bryan! wrote:
Yes but that essentially results in a mixed Shimano drivetrain.

Yeah, but it allows you to upgrade to wireless 2x 12 speed TT shifting and retain your HG freehub wheel(s).

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SRAM AXS also works perfectly with Campagnolo 12-speed cassettes and Chinese 12-speed cassettes. I've tried both and been riding on a Chorus 11-34 with Force AXS for nearly two years. It's flawless. AXS = best transmission ever, hands down.
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano cassettes work with axs [Semi-prone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Which Chinese cassettes have you tried? I’ve been unable to get the ZTTO Ultimate XDR 10-36 cassette to shift properly with a Shimano 12s chain (also tried the sram flattop chain for the heck of it). I can get either the upper or lower range shifting great but not both. I switch back to the SRAM Force 10-33 and get it shifting perfectly in about 30 seconds of micro adjusting.
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano cassettes work with axs [rexnebula] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a Chinese Sunshine 11-34 12-speed cassette. Basically looks like older Ultegra or 105 cassettes. The chains I used were an inexpensive SRAM PX-01 11-speed chain and a high-end Campagnolo Super Record 12-speed chain which is what I have currently on the bike. I should have elaborated that my bike is 1x not dual chainring. Perhaps that made the setup easier for me, not sure.
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano cassettes work with axs [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
can anyone comment on how a shimano 12 sp cassette would work with an AXS 1x setup with a sram flattop chain? looking to get my AXS-equipped bike on my trainer which previously has only been for my shimano 11 speed bike, but instead of getting the replacement freehub body at $130, would be much cheaper and more conventient to just get a used 12sp shimano cassette to put on there.

thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano cassettes work with axs [PBT_2009] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You won't be able to run a Sram 12 AXS chain on a Shimano cassette. The rollers on the AXS chain are 0.5mm larger in diameter than Shimano.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PBT_2009 wrote:
can anyone comment on how a shimano 12 sp cassette would work with an AXS 1x setup with a sram flattop chain? looking to get my AXS-equipped bike on my trainer which previously has only been for my shimano 11 speed bike, but instead of getting the replacement freehub body at $130, would be much cheaper and more conventient to just get a used 12sp shimano cassette to put on there.

thanks
So I just picked up a used ZTTO 12 speed 11-34 cassette for my kickr to try to avoid buying the XDR driver as well. I literally just finished setting everything up and spun for a minute or so and shifted and it felt perfectly fine. This is with a force flattop chain. There was one shift that it didn't love but considering I spend a decent amount of time in ERG mode anyways, I think this will work perfectly fine. It felt smooth and there wasn't any extra noise. It is probably causing a bit of extra wear to the chain and/or cassette but this is just a training setup. Now it might be that a shimano 12sp chain would work even better, especially considering I'm using 11sp chainrings. I need to pick one of those up and do some comparisons. As it stands though, for a trainer only cassette, I've got no issues with the mix and match.

I'm using this cassette in 11-34 but I got it lightly used for $25, otherwise I probably would have just gotten a legit shimano 105 12 speed.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PBT_2009 wrote:
can anyone comment on how a shimano 12 sp cassette would work with an AXS 1x setup with a sram flattop chain?

Read this and learn my friend: https://zerofrictioncycling.com.au/...-news-new-mspeedwax/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
surfNJmatt wrote:
Just an FYI, I just did a build with rival axs 2x, KMC x12 chain and shimano cassettes.
KMC x12 chain is compatible with Shimano cassettes, so no issues there. The only issue is the meshing of the KMC standard size rollers into the larger/deeper valleys of the Rival AXS jockey wheels.
So of course it works, but does it work optimally? The answer is "No".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
surfNJmatt wrote:
Just an FYI, I just did a build with rival axs 2x, KMC x12 chain and shimano cassettes

It all works perfect !, I hesitated axs because not wanting to switch free hubs but you dont have to.

I will be posting a video to youtube soon.

What kind crankset/chainring are you using?

Any specific settings for the FD that we need to know?
Quote Reply