Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Repairing a bike or replacing a bike...Update to my wipeout
Quote | Reply
So, I heard back from my shop and Trek has agreed to give me a 30% discount on a new old SC. My price through the shop would be slightly over $2500 for a Gen 2 version frameset with bars. Personally, that seems a bit high to me as I shared with the shop that the full bike was $4100 which included 11 speed Ultegra and wheels. I also inquired about whether or not that 30% discount could apply to a new frame and they agreed to it. So...here are my options

Option 1
Repair my bike at a place like Calfee for an all-in cost of about $1,000. This includes stripping the bike, boxing it, shipping it and getting the bike repaired, then getting it sent back and rebuilt. Cost may go up a bit as I will want a new base bar since mine took some impact and showed scuffs on the right side. Shockingly, the rest of my bike is in decent shape, from what I can tell. I wouldn't need any other parts or wheels for this option.
*The Calfee warranty is good for 10 years, but won't be transferrable should I sell it in the future.
*Not sure how that will impact resale. I would obviously be up front about it, but not sure how many ppl would steer clear of it.

Option 2. Take the deal on the new rim brake Gen 2 SC and pay about $3k for it to be built up. It would be new and have the warranty. I'm not in love with the colorway-all black with the gloss diagonal section on seat tube and top tube. This option gives me a new bike and doesn't require me to sell my wheels I have.

Option 3. Buy the new frameset for about $3700 (tax included) and build it up. I would need to buy new bars, and decide to either transfer my current 11 speed mechanical group over and then pay for it to be built up. So, at least $4k for the frame and build + aero bars (I like the Aerocoach ones which are about $1k). So, about $5-6k. I then would need to work on getting new wheels for the bike, but for the time being use my Bontrager Aelous pro 5s until I could afford getting the HED vanquish front 60 or 80 and rear disc. The price isn't awful to start, but increases once I decide to add the parts that I want and need. I might be the only one with a top tier new bike rocking mechanical shifting! lol.

I currently have HED 60/60 and a 90 rear and rear disc. Yeah, I know...Black Friday deals and I talked myself into getting a rear 60 for a training wheel and held on to the 90 just in case something happened to the rear disc.

I also currently own a Specialized SL6 Tarmac disc so I could swap wheels.

My wife has been super supportive in all of my bike adventures, even letting me get 2 bikes within 6 months (the SC and tarmac) of each other. We can "afford" the new SC, but don't really want to dip into savings for this. I guess I could finance it through Trek for a year to make it more reasonable, but still, maybe a little extreme for a bike.

Thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: Repairing a bike or replacing a bike...Update to my wipeout [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Get the new disc brake frame.
Quote Reply
Re: Repairing a bike or replacing a bike...Update to my wipeout [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a little unclear about the brand & model of the bike that you crashed but here is my experience:

I had a Gen 1 SC that I absolutely loved! I had that bike set up so that I could ride it literally all day. My longest ride on it was 135 miles. Why? Because I wanted to beat my previous record of 130 miles!

That bike was destroyed in a bike vs car accident on Sept 30, 2017. I replaced it with a Gen 2 SC (my current bike) which I hate with a passion. I can not get comfortable on it & I have one of the highest rated bike fitters in the country within walking distance of my house. Also, I absolutely hate the "monobar" that is on the 2nd Gen SC.

I am seriously considering trading it in for the Gen 3 SC (disc brakes) even though there is nothing wrong with it & it will cost me $$$$ to make the change.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Repairing a bike or replacing a bike...Update to my wipeout [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear you aren't happy with the gen 2 SC. My bike was/ is the same Gen 2 SC. I really like it and love the look. Just not sure I want to deal with selling my wheels and starting all over. The prices are frustrating, but at least I'm getting a discount.

I'll likely make a decision in a day or two.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would repair the bike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would do whatever works out cheapest. I can't see you would be significantly faster with either listed options. Waiting until you can upgrade to disc brakes and wide wheels with storage would probably be your fastest option - but I don't think that option is on the list?

He who understands the WHY, will understand the HOW.
Quote Reply
Re: Repairing a bike or replacing a bike...Update to my wipeout [earthling] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This. Just figure out what's the cheapest. It doesn't seem like you'll save much time with any of them so go with the least resistance and cost. Probably just getting it fixed makes sense.
earthling wrote:
I would do whatever works out cheapest. I can't see you would be significantly faster with either listed options. Waiting until you can upgrade to disc brakes and wide wheels with storage would probably be your fastest option - but I don't think that option is on the list?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
littlefoot wrote:
I guess I could finance it through Trek for a year to make it more reasonable, but still, maybe a little extreme for a bike.

I'm still getting my head around the idea of financing a bicycle. I know they've gone up in price, along with everything else I guess in life, but if it ever comes to the point where I'm debating making payments+interest on a bicycle, I think that means that common sense says I shouldn't get said bicycle.

That said, I'm hugely bitter at the credit business in general and how they ruin lives, so consider it another vote for the cheapest option on your list, or at least any option that doesn't involve debt.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it's not clear to me - is option 2 $3k in total, or $3k plus the discounted new frame at $2.5k ?
If $3k total, I like that option. It's a new frame, don't need new wheels etc, probably the quickest way to get back on a bike.

Resale value on a repaired frame is basically $0.. so option 1 gets you a bike to ride the cheapest way, but I think selling it later would be a challenge at best.

Option 3 sounds like a whole lot of money and trouble..
Quote Reply
Re: Repairing a bike or replacing a bike...Update to my wipeout [KJ33] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree on most of what you said. I am smart enough to not finance a bike with interest. If I recall, trek typically had 0% financing, that is what I would consider, not with an added interest rate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trek has the interest included in the price of the bike.
Quote Reply