Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hydratation setup : Profile design aeria or BTA setup ?
Quote | Reply
Hi
I'm building my new triathlon bike and now i need to choose which hydratation setup i will use.

Choice are between profile design aeria hydratation system (got an aeria ultimate stem so it's pretty easy for me to fit it) or a BTA system like xlab torpedo or other.

Which one did you will to choose ? Did you know if they are any aero test about them ?

Thanks a lot
Quote Reply
Re: Hydratation setup : Profile design aeria or BTA setup ? [Nodejs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe I'm weird, but I've become pretty fed-up with the "hydration systems". They often leak, you need to fill-them on the go, you need to clean them afterwards.

I'm currently having a Speedmax CF SLX with a built-in hydration, and I'm actually looking into simply mounting a bottle holder for standard bottles in the front. I'd go with a nice & simple bottle cage on/above the aerobars.
Quote Reply
Re: Hydratation setup : Profile design aeria or BTA setup ? [Michal_CH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Michal_CH wrote:
Maybe I'm weird, but I've become pretty fed-up with the "hydration systems". They often leak, you need to fill-them on the go, you need to clean them afterwards.

I'm currently having a Speedmax CF SLX with a built-in hydration, and I'm actually looking into simply mounting a bottle holder for standard bottles in the front. I'd go with a nice & simple bottle cage on/above the aerobars.

I agree, i think that the simplier the better.

I always see aero hydration systems, and I try hard to love them.. but always when reviewed pros & cons: a simple bottle cage over the aerobars is the overall best solution.
Quote Reply
Re: Hydratation setup : Profile design aeria or BTA setup ? [Nodejs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nodejs wrote:
Hi
I'm building my new triathlon bike and now i need to choose which hydratation setup i will use.

Choice are between profile design aeria hydratation system (got an aeria ultimate stem so it's pretty easy for me to fit it) or a BTA system like xlab torpedo or other.

Which one did you will to choose ? Did you know if they are any aero test about them ?

Thanks a lot

All the cool kids are sticking them down their shirt. :-)

there is this test

Notice the pic of the 500 vs 750ml BTA

We saw some of the hydration systems help on some of the slower bikes. But I am a simple, bottle between the arms fan.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use the Aeria system as well as 2 bottles behind the seat. For most of my rides I use the 2 bottles behind my seat. On the rare occasions I need the third "bottle", I choose to use only water in the Aeria to make clean up easier.
Quote Reply
Re: Hydratation setup : Profile design aeria or BTA setup ? [mdtrihard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mdtrihard wrote:
I use the Aeria system as well as 2 bottles behind the seat. For most of my rides I use the 2 bottles behind my seat. On the rare occasions I need the third "bottle", I choose to use only water in the Aeria to make clean up easier.

I never used the Aeria specifically but we tested a shape very similar to the Aeria and it actually made the bike faster.
Quote Reply
Re: Hydratation setup : Profile design aeria or BTA setup ? [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It seems to make me about .3-.4mph quicker so I like having it there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use both actually. I don’t like having to sit up to grab a bottle from behind the seat. I rigged a bracket that I Velcro to my aero bars to hold the bottle cage above the Aeria system. I set it back so I can still fill the Aeria on the go with aid station bottles of water.
Quote Reply
Re: Hydratation setup : Profile design aeria or BTA setup ? [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
mdtrihard wrote:

I never used the Aeria specifically but we tested a shape very similar to the Aeria and it actually made the bike faster.

I have the Aeria on my QR V-PR. I can say that it doesn't leak at all, had a very well fitting cap with a large opening which makes it easy to add aid station hydration on the fly. Also it holds a bit more then a standard water bottle.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: Hydratation setup : Profile design aeria or BTA setup ? [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bryancd wrote:
marcag wrote:
mdtrihard wrote:

I have the Aeria on my QR V-PR. I can say that it doesn't leak at all, had a very well fitting cap with a large opening which makes it easy to add aid station hydration on the fly. Also it holds a bit more then a standard water bottle.
I had the same Aeria experience on my X-PR. No leaks, no splashing and easy to refill. Holds 30oz. I keep my nutrition and electrolytes in frame bottles and then use the Aeria for water only for easy cleaning. Also allows me to separate nutrition from hydration. I Chung tested the Aeria last week and it reduces drag as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Hydratation setup : Profile design aeria or BTA setup ? [khanlon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
khanlon wrote:
Bryancd wrote:
marcag wrote:
mdtrihard wrote:

I had the same Aeria experience on my X-PR. No leaks, no splashing and easy to refill. Holds 30oz. I keep my nutrition and electrolytes in frame bottles and then use the Aeria for water only for easy cleaning. Also allows me to separate nutrition from hydration. I Chung tested the Aeria last week and it reduces drag as well.

this was the original prototype of the notio aerometer

We were velodrome testing the Astana boys and gathering some data at the same time. One run, we accidentally forgot to put on the nose cone after a cockpit adjustment. He tested 10w slower. WTF. Someone noticed it, we put it back on, 10w faster, on, off a few times to confirm. It was 10w (.01 cda).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I tried the xlab torpedo and the computer mount vibrated so much that I couldn't read the screen
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not sold that an average joe is installing a hydration system in a way that actually helps their aerodynamics. Stroll through transition and see how many have big gaps, crooked, pointing up, etc. At least with a bottle if you just put it behind your arms there's not as much that you can lose.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love the aeria. Not hard to clean. The bite valve and straw left a little to be desired (difficulty opening and closing the bite valve/leakage).

However, I bought a different straw and valve from REI and have zero issues now.

Never used a BTA so I cant compare.
Quote Reply
Re: Hydratation setup : Profile design aeria or BTA setup ? [tomljones3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use the Xlab Torpedo as well but have a different mount for my computer. For training rides and short races I use a regular water bottle and use the Torpedo for halfs and fulls.
Quote Reply
Re: Hydratation setup : Profile design aeria or BTA setup ? [Stelvio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Used to have Xlab Torpedo Versa on my Cervelo P3 when my extensions were horizontal and that worked great. Then I tilted the extensions up to more mantis-like so had to add wedges to level the Versa which kinda worked but I didn’t like the look. So switched to PD Aeria, with the 1/seventeen stem and Aeria faceplate. I imagine it’s aero but who knows, it looks aero so I’m sure it strikes fear in my enemies. It’s secure, holds the Garmin in a nice spot and hides the cables and Di2 junction on the stem. No leaks. The tube valve is not good, I find myself fiddling with it, may swap it out. The fact you need an Allen key to open for cleaning is a PITA. Overall I’d give it 4 out of 5.
Quote Reply
Re: Hydratation setup : Profile design aeria or BTA setup ? [ivantriker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
a simple bottle cage over the aerobars is the overall best solution.[/quote]
That's what I just did. But how do you prevent the bottle caps from leaking? I've tried 3 Polar bottles of mine and they all make the gooey liquid drip right down onto my new frame. :(
Quote Reply
Re: Hydratation setup : Profile design aeria or BTA setup ? [Michal_CH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Michal_CH wrote:

Of course, that’s the easiest and simplest setup but during short races like sprint tri you can lose some time trying to take a sip. XLab Torpedo works perfectly during sprint or Olympic races. No waste of time and you can drink easily.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just wait and see what pro’s setup next year when chest bottles are banned.
Quote Reply
Re: Hydratation setup : Profile design aeria or BTA setup ? [uva0224] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
uva0224 wrote:
Just wait and see what pro’s setup next year when chest bottles are banned.

Already working on solutions. I have a bottle set up with 2 bottles behind the arms very very high up, just barely not touching the chest. It's tested about equal to no bottles at all. I'm open to ideas to test. Thinking the next test will be angling them behind the arms v. having them tightly spaced.
Quote Reply
Re: Hydratation setup : Profile design aeria or BTA setup ? [mathematics] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can’t wait to see it. lol ! Good luck
Quote Reply