Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cervelo P-Series Tire Clearance
Quote | Reply
When buying this bike, I searched everywhere and couldn't seem to find anything about tire clearance for this bike, so I decided to find out myself. I bought the bike this weekend and today I decided to mount up 30mm GP5000 S TR on my Zipp 303 Firecrest wheels (25mm IW) to see if they would fit. Well, they did! Kind of. I have 3mm clearance in the front and 1.5mm clearance in the rear. The 30mm tires are a little over 32mm wide (gravel triathlon, anyone?) at about 60psi. That's not enough clearance for me to run it, but I did ride it around the block and over the curb to my driveway without any rubbing.

This makes me confident that the 28mm GP5000 S TR I have on order will fit well on this bike and wheel, as well as on the 31mm wide, 21mm IW HED Vanquish Pro wheels I have on order. I think it's reasonable to assume any 28mm tire will likely fit.

Also, really impressed with the GP5000 S TR tires. These were the easiest tires I've ever installed, they inflated with a floor pump, and are holding air without sealant.

-Bryan Journey
Travel Blog | Training Blog | Facebook Page
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P-Series Tire Clearance [JourneyToGoPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The official clearance for the P-series is 28mm, see reference in article below.

I ran 28mm GP5000TL tires on my p-series last year. The clearance was tight in the back. I had a wheel get slightly out of true which caused the rear tire to rub when standing and pedaling. I also had issues when the tire would have a small rock stick to it for a revolution or so. The rock would get pinned between the tire and the seattube, causing the tire to get slits torn in it. They didn't tear through, but the outer layer of rubber would have slight tears.

https://www.slowtwitch.com/...an_s_Build_7558.html
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P-Series Tire Clearance [khanlon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I looked all through that article and Cervelos website and didn't see it. I looked through it again and still don't. I must be scanning over it and just not seeing it.

It was also nice to know that pretty much any of the wide wheels available today will fit. The tight clearances are all at the top of the tire and more due to the height than the width necessarily.

-Bryan Journey
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have run that same setup on my P-Series. 28c GP5000's with latex tubes mounted to HED Vanquish GP6 wheels. You won't have any fitment problems.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey @JourneyToGoPro,

May I please ask what the final outcome was with this?

I’m currently looking at a P-Series frame, to build up my first disc brake TT bike (currently have a rim brake Timemachine).

The only disc road wheels I have at the moment are Zipp Firecrest (25mm internal) 303 with 28c GP5000STR fitted.

It would make the transition to disc brake much easier if I could use these wheels initially for training at least.

The 28c GP5000STR measure bang on 30mm in this setup and unfortunately I can’t run tyres any smaller on the wheels.

In your experience would there be enough clearance?
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P-Series Tire Clearance [justdofit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My 28c S TR's measure a bit over 29mm. You'll have plenty of clearance, I just checked on my frame.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P-Series Tire Clearance [justdofit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
justdofit wrote:
Hey @JourneyToGoPro,

May I please ask what the final outcome was with this?

I’m currently looking at a P-Series frame, to build up my first disc brake TT bike (currently have a rim brake Timemachine).

The only disc road wheels I have at the moment are Zipp Firecrest (25mm internal) 303 with 28c GP5000STR fitted.

It would make the transition to disc brake much easier if I could use these wheels initially for training at least.

The 28c GP5000STR measure bang on 30mm in this setup and unfortunately I can’t run tyres any smaller on the wheels.

In your experience would there be enough clearance?

Yeah, the 28mm S TR on 303 FC fit great. They are my every day wheels/tires right now. Mine measure up closer to 29mm at the 55-60psi that I run, but there is room for another mm.

I don't remember exactly what the 30's measured as. Think it was 31-32mm width.

Edit: at 70psi, my 28mm S TR is 30.25mm wide. I measure about 3.5mm clearance at the closest spot which is the rear right/drive side of the tire. The front has plenty of clearance. 3.5mm clearance is acceptable, but at the minimum I would run.

At the 59psi I run, I have 4mm or more clearance. Also, there is more clearance to the left hand side, so if your wheel is more centered than mine, it could be better.

-Bryan Journey
Last edited by: JourneyToGoPro: Dec 5, 23 14:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks mate, really appreciate the detail. That sounds perfect, for my application.

Longer term I hope to purchase a set of hookless 808s (currently running clincher 808s on my Timemachine), which have a smaller 23mm clearance and should net a little more space 🤞.
Quote Reply