Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Checked bicycle luggage containing a power meter and a Di2 battery
Quote | Reply
This is the first time I'm taking a bike with me on a flight, and I'd like to know what the correct procedure is.

United Airline says no loose lithium battery may be in checked baggage. Does the loose lithium battery rule apply to either my Di2 battery (3.7 Wh, housed in a Shimano-made external housing) or my power meter (2 x 2.7 Wh, whose battery is fully enclosed).

I previously checked with a power meter, though that one used a coin battery.

Many thanks in advance
Quote Reply
Re: Checked bicycle luggage containing a power meter and a Di2 battery [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Them: "Any lithium batteries, blah blah blah?"

Me: "Nope."

Never had an issue with that strategy.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: Checked bicycle luggage containing a power meter and a Di2 battery [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
“Loose” means a battery that isn’t part of some product. Think spare batteries or USB power packs.

The Di2 is part of the bike and the pm battery is part of the bike as well. No issues.

If you have spare batteries (ex. extra 2032s for your hrm or pm) in theory you should put them in your carry on. In practice no one does.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I usually pop the coin cell battery out of a power meter just so it's not constantly waking up from vibrations while in transport. No other battery-related issues traveling by air, personally.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just FYI, CO2 cartridges not allowed, if you happen to be packing your flat kit, etc.

I'm sure you'll be fine with Di2 battery connected to the frame in some way, or any coin cell at all.

Their real concern is fire risk from things like large quadrotor drone batteries or laptop batteries.
Quote Reply
Re: Checked bicycle luggage containing a power meter and a Di2 battery [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Understood; thanks all

Fortunately I don't use CO2 cartridges. Just a Lezyne pump to get tires back to pressure.
Quote Reply