Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Nutrition
Quote | Reply
Hello,
I’ve recently gotten into triathlons this year and have a full Ironman coming up in a few months.

I’ve been practicing my nutrition plan when I’m out on long bikes or runs. But curious as to how others who have done full Ironmans approach their nutrition — specifically what do you take on race day?

I’ve noticed that peanut butter sandwiches, snickers, gels and bananas all work well on long bikes rides but unsure how many more gels my stomach can take when running long distance off the bike. I take Science in Sport as electrolytes in my drink too.

Any tips or advice is greatly appreciated!
Last edited by: JTTri: May 17, 23 6:28
Quote Reply
Re: Nutrition [JTTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've tried straight liquid calories and gels (GU gels and roctane powder mix, tailwind, cytomax) and didnt have great results in longer races. I've also tried eating the snickers and peanut butter sandwiches and that didn't work for me either once I got to the run. Now I eat clif bars, clif shot bloks and clif gels. For whatever reason, this works best for me. I definitely need solid food on the bike as my primary calories source and use a few gels to top it all off. Also using the gatorade endurance for fluids now since that's what's offered on course at IM events. Don't forget about sodium too. I usually take salt stick tablets every 2 hours on the bike and every hour on the run.

Figuring out nutrition is a trial and error process. Everyone is different. Good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's an epic article, written more than 23 years ago by the founder of this site. I was in the 6th grade at the time of publication. So much has changed, but so little has changed. Dan has always been (decades) ahead of his time.

Reading this article makes me wonder if it played a large part in many of the strategies used in all of endurance sport today, from gravel cycling, to ultra running and triathlon.

Don't do the ibuprofen thing. Yikes.

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Last edited by: DrAlexHarrison: May 18, 23 6:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
300-450 cals per hour, 500-1000mg sodium and 500-1000ml water per hour (1:1 ratio), as close to fluid and gel based as possible. You should be feeling a bit sick toward the end if you’re doing it right, as well as if you’re doing it wrong. Fueling to comfort often ends in 20 mile hikes to finish the race, imo.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's a bit more of a starter guide video on what to look for in products.

Here's a 70.3 fueling plan and troubleshooting guide in the form of an article.

Let me know if you have any questions.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Nutrition [bjgwoody] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, thank you for the support. Still incredibly humbling every time someone shares us. We're not spending on marketing yet so it's all word of mouth at this point.

FYI to OP: we're probably going to end our lifetime price-lock launch deal at $2.99 soon. Probably at the end of the month. (as in, everyone who subscribes by then will retain that price point forever, and those who don't will probably see more typical subscription pricing over the course of their subscription with us)

Last edited by: DrAlexHarrison: Jun 20, 23 8:25
Quote Reply