Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

70.3 Worlds Qualifying - What AG?
Quote | Reply
Some of the earlier 70.3 races in 2023 offer qualifying slots for both 2023 Finland and 2024 New Zealand. Are the slots for 2024 allocated based on your age within the current year or the age you will be in the year of the championship race?

In other words, if I race as a 59 year old in 2023, will I be placed in the 50-59 qualifying group (based on my current age) or the 60-64 qualifying group for 2024 (when I turn 60)?

The race website indicates "Your Age Group is determined by your age as at December 31 of the year of the event. For example, if you are Male and turn 25 in 2023 then your Age Group Category for any race in 2023 is M25 – 29." I bolded the 2 parts because they mention year of the event, but what event - the qualifying race or the worlds race? And they indicate 2023, but what about the following year?

Thanks,
@Kid
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Worlds Qualifying - What AG? [atkid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're eligible for a slot based on your age group for the current year. If you are racing a 70.3 this year, you'll be in the 55-59 AG and will be eligible for the slots allocated for 55-59 AG for Worlds. Then next year you will race based on your current age and race in the 60-64 AG at Worlds.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Worlds Qualifying - What AG? [TMR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Now that you explained it, yeah that makes sense!
And with the extended qualifying period, this does open up a bunch of possible options.

Cheers,
@Kid
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Worlds Qualifying - What AG? [atkid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slots are allocated based on your age the year that the qualifying race occurred; but you will race as the age you are the year that Worlds occur.

For example (I was on the cusp of an AG too - in 2022 i was 39 and was in the roll down for Lahti spots as a 35-39 year old. However had I taken one of the spots, I’d be racing worlds as a 40 year old since I turned 40 in Feb of 2023.

Re: 70.3 Worlds Qualifying - What AG? [IKnowEverything] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, since UKnowEverything, then I will accept your explanation :-)
Thanks,
@Kid
Quote Reply