Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Best way to pump up Latex Tube w/Valve Extension, Expander ??
Quote | Reply
Most Latex tubes have externally threaded valve bodies that enable you to lock the valve firmly to the rim. This prevents the valve from depressing into the rim (when attaching the pump head for inflation) which can cause the tube to herniate at the base of the valve.

Deep rims require valve extensions, and I have never seen one that is fully externally threaded, allowing use of the retaining nut. If you have the correct length of valve extension, there is usually just enough exposed for the pump head. Thus, if your wheels have sat unused and are low on pressure, it is very difficult NOT to depress the valve extension when adding air, and then risking tube failure at the valve base. IMHO, this problem was exacerbated when Vittoria changed their tubes from the large oval grommet at the valve base to the small round one - one of the reasons I switched to Challenge tubes.

I've tried threading some extensions with a 6M x 0.75 die, but the material is very thin and easily self destructs.

Anybody?
Quote Reply
Re: Best way to pump up Latex Tube w/Valve Extension, Expander ?? [Hanginon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have been using latex tubes for 3 years now and have never had a problem with tears at the stem base or problems inflating them.

I don't do any tricks, just use some 'Fourier' branded extenders that aren't expensive from Amazon, and they've never leaked air from the junction, ever. Even when I've flatted on the road and swapped the extender over on the road, no problems with leaks,ever.

I don't even use that screw-on circle (retaining nut?) that holds the valve in place when you inflate. Sure, the valve will depress a little if the tube is totally flat, but you can just put a finger on the opposite side of the valve against the tire surface to give it a surface until it inflates enough to hold on its own.

My Fourier valve extenders are also not perfectly lengthed. I just bought the really long ones that reach for my 88 deep wheel, but I use them also on my 50s where they stick out really far and def aren't aerodynamic, but still work fine.

I've been using Silca latex tubes. Multiple tires, GP5000, Gatorskins, etc. No problems with any of them, even when flatting on the road.
Quote Reply
Re: Best way to pump up Latex Tube w/Valve Extension, Expander ?? [Hanginon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Would something like the Silca Speed Shield do the trick?
Quote Reply
Re: Best way to pump up Latex Tube w/Valve Extension, Expander ?? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
Sure, the valve will depress a little if the tube is totally flat, but you can just put a finger on the opposite side of the valve against the tire surface to give it a surface until it inflates enough to hold on its own.

This. It's the same as every over tube I've ever inflated. Latex tubes aren't as fragile as some people make them out to be.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Press against the tire where the valve is, problem solved.
Quote Reply
Re: Best way to pump up Latex Tube w/Valve Extension, Expander ?? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
I don't even use that screw-on circle (retaining nut?) that holds the valve in place when you inflate. Sure, the valve will depress a little if the tube is totally flat, but you can just put a finger on the opposite side of the valve against the tire surface to give it a surface until it inflates enough to hold on its own.

The simplest solution is always the best. As incredible as it may sound, I never considered simply depressing the tire with my finger to limit the valve movement.
Thanks Gang!
Last edited by: Hanginon: May 12, 23 10:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hanginon wrote:
lightheir wrote:

The simplest solution is always the best. As incredible as it may sound, I never considered simply depressing the tire with my finger to limit the valve movement.
Thanks!

Even before doing that, it's really natural to just let the ground serve as the surface to press on the other side of the tube. I mainly use my finger when I'm on the road and not using a floor pump, but a minipump so it's hard to get that thing started in certain positions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Silca valve extenders are externally threaded so you can use the nut
Quote Reply