Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How to spectate Alpe d'Huez Triathlon L
Quote | Reply
I can't find any info online about spectating for the Alpe d'Huez triathlon. My husband is doing the race this summer and I'd like to spectate more than just the finish line. Does anyone have experience watching and supporting (emotionally not with illegal aid of course) an athlete on this course? I'm hoping to see the swim start, maybe the finish too, and then go to Alpe d'Huez to see the run but I can't tell if logistically it is possible with road closures and such. In an ideal world I'd be able to do those things and see the bike, but alas no teleporters available. I will also have our 2 kids with us, so I have to keep track of and somewhat entertain them.

I'm keen for any advice about spectating! Thanks in advance!
Quote Reply
Re: How to spectate Alpe d'Huez Triathlon L [macstars] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't been since 2016, so here's my best guess.

You can go to the swim start via D44B through Villard-Reculas in the morning.
I recall there not being much parking at the lake though, so you may be in for a long walk if you can happen to find a spot.

The roads aren't closed AFAIK, but maybe temporarily around Lac Du Vernay until the participants have cleared?
If you really wanted you could follow your husband on the entire bike route, but that might be a bit much.
Maybe roll down to Bourg-d'Oisans and find something to do for a bit?

I followed my wife up AdH and parked every couple of turns to cheer her, but she was BOP and the traffic and competitors were pretty light.
If your husband is faster it might make sense to head straight up to the village and wait for him to arrive in T2.

The run is pretty easy to spectate as is it's multiloop.
Quote Reply
Re: How to spectate Alpe d'Huez Triathlon L [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
I followed my wife up AdH and parked every couple of turns to cheer her, but she was BOP and the traffic and competitors were pretty light.

I can understand but what a terrible idea... Even if it's the BOP, even if the traffic is pretty light, the race course should be kept as car free as possible. Being repeatedly overtaken, constantly hearing the engine, inhaling fumes is a major annoyance in a race when you try to focus on your effort and/or take in the scenery.
Quote Reply
Re: How to spectate Alpe d'Huez Triathlon L [tof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tof wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:

I can understand but what a terrible idea... Even if it's the BOP, even if the traffic is pretty light, the race course should be kept as car free as possible. Being repeatedly overtaken, constantly hearing the engine, inhaling fumes is a major annoyance in a race when you try to focus on your effort and/or take in the scenery.

Dude, there were like 5 competitors around her. I cheered them on, poured cold water on them. They loved it.

Also, do you have any idea how much traffic there is in France? SMH
Quote Reply
Re: How to spectate Alpe d'Huez Triathlon L [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
tof wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:

Dude, there were like 5 competitors around her. I cheered them on, poured cold water on them. They loved it.

Also, do you have any idea how much traffic there is in France? SMH

I do, as I live there.
Look, I've had to endure that on multiple mountainous races (Embrunman, Ventouxman, Altriman...) and I've always found it to be annoying. But maybe it's just me. Sorry for the comment.
Quote Reply