Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Any old timers remember the pull on arm fairings of the late 80's?
Quote | Reply
Seeing some pros starting to stuff things down their suits to be more aero I wonder if any old timers from the late 80's remember the pull on arm fairings that went on your biceps to close the gap between your arm and chest? In the Indianapolis area duathlon scene back in the day a few guys would use them. I believe Paul Lew designed them?
I cant find anything on the internet about them.
Didnt they get outlawed pretty quickly?
I wonder if the sh#t down your jersey trick will get nixed soon?
Quote Reply
Re: Any old timers remember the pull on arm fairings of the late 80's? [Dudaddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know if I ever saw anyone wearing them but I remember an ad in Triathlon Today advertising them. The ad featured a pro from Indiana I think. I can't remember his name. It wasn't Rob Mackle.
Quote Reply
Re: Any old timers remember the pull on arm fairings of the late 80's? [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was the same dude that made the "Black hole" wheel.
Quote Reply
Re: Any old timers remember the pull on arm fairings of the late 80's? [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mark Lemmon wrote:
I don't know if I ever saw anyone wearing them but I remember an ad in Triathlon Today advertising them. The ad featured a pro from Indiana I think. I can't remember his name. It wasn't Rob Mackle.

It took a while for my brain to process, but I think the pro in the ad was Jim Langfeldt.
Quote Reply
Re: Any old timers remember the pull on arm fairings of the late 80's? [Dudaddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Arm fairings
Bullet bar (aero bars with the space filled in)
Cycling jersey with the spoiler/whale tail
Harold Robinson's (?) under the seat "dildo" (Molina's word)/bowling pin (Tri-Fed officials) at Orange County Performing Arts tri

I'm sure there is much more.

Tri-Fed's Safety & Rules Committee were busy during the '80s & '90s when it came to equipment.

#swimmingmatters
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.
The Doctor (#12)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Damn, I forgot about Langfeldt. He used to ride a Trimble if I remember correctly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mark Lemmon wrote:

I remember that same ad.....and TriFed banning them about three seconds later.

Personally I like the option of storing a water bottle in my jersey, but now that pros are putting the kitchen sink in there I sense a ban coming.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Any old timers remember the pull on arm fairings of the late 80's? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
Mark Lemmon wrote:

I remember that same ad.....and TriFed banning them about three seconds later.

Personally I like the option of storing a water bottle in my jersey, but now that pros are putting the kitchen sink in there I sense a ban coming.

"TriFed" You know you are old when you know what "TriFed" means.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had a pair (might still have them somewhere). They were banned rather quickly. Couldn't tell you if they actually made much of a difference, speed-wise. Probably a wash between the time it took to put them on, compared to the aero time savings on the bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Any old timers remember the pull on arm fairings of the late 80's? [laughingfarmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
laughingfarmer wrote:
Had a pair (might still have them somewhere). They were banned rather quickly. Couldn't tell you if they actually made much of a difference, speed-wise. Probably a wash between the time it took to put them on, compared to the aero time savings on the bike.

Wow! You need to post a picture wearing them. LOL
Quote Reply